It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Laws Only Affect the People You Don't Have to Worry About in the First Place

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on May, 18 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
A week ago last Friday a woman had her car run off of the road. The driver of the car that did it, got out and shot her, killing her. He then drove off. A few hours later he was found after killing himself. The killer was her ex-boyfriend. She had obtained a Protection from Abuse Order against him. The local media ran the "Evil gun" angle and criticized the Police for not protecting her.

The Police have no duty to protect an individual. In Gonzalas vs. Castle Rock the United States Supreme Court ruled that the Police have a duty to society as a whole not to an individual. If we leave this right here it is a tragedy.

I know the woman's brother. I ran into him last night and there is more to this story. The ex-boyfriend has been a threat to her for well over a year. When she first found out about this, she asked our County Sheriff what she should do? He advised her to buy a pistol and recommended that she take defense classes from a certified instructor. She did that and obtained a Concealed Carry permit. She carried all of the time except when she was at work. When she was at work her weapon was locked in her car. Several months ago, in response to a local shooting, her employer changed their rules to no weapons on company property period. She stopped carrying her weapon when she went to work because of the rule change. A few months later she had an encounter with her ex that scared her, so she started carrying again.

One morning a few weeks ago she gave a co-worker a ride to work. She opened her glove box for some reason and the co-worker saw the weapon. When they got to work the co-worker told management about the weapon. She was confronted about it and admitted to having it and was given a written warning. When she explained why she had it, she was told to get the Protection From Abuse order and that the Police would protect her.

Her brother believes that the ex found out that she wasn't carrying to and from work and that is why he ran her off of the road and killed her. I don't know about that but it seems feasible.

In my opinion, as soon as her employer removed the ability for her to protect herself, they became responsible for her protection. I agree 100% with them not letting her carry at work. I disagree with them not allowing her to have her weapon in her car. As far as the co-worker informing management goes, my opinion would get me tossed off of ATS.

I'd like to hear some other opinions on this.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I think you summed it up nicely.

I work in the medical field and you'd be surprised at how many conceal/carry.

A firearm is an equalizer, and most evil people won't fight on an equal playing field.

My sympathies for a life wasted went it could have been prevented.

+6 more 
posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
In my opinion, as soon as her employer removed the ability for her to protect herself, they became responsible for her protection. I agree 100% with them not letting her carry at work. I disagree with them not allowing her to have her weapon in her car. ....
I'd like to hear some other opinions on this.

I've been saying this for years about "gun free zones". The law should stipulate that any organization that establishes a "gun free policy" should then be legally responsible for the protection of all those within the bounds of that zone. By removal of ones right of self protection, you are putting their lives in potential danger. Had it not been for that policy, then the ability to protect themselves from harm solely and legally falls upon the individual.

Anything less, IMO is wrong and flies in the face of our 2nd amendment rights.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I wonder if the guy that killed her had a ccw and was a responsible gun owner until he twisted off because of domestic trouble? Happens all the time in domestic disputes.

www.aetv.com...
edit on 18-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

He obtained his weapon illegally a week before he killed her. I just found that out.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

You can lay blame for that squarely at the feet of the trial lawyers. Look at the Las Vegas shooting. The first one they went after was the hotel. See what happens if a hotel tries to search you every time you enter. The same damn lawyers will sue them for violating your rights.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Possibly. That would only prove the point. Once someone wants to be a criminal gun laws don't deter them any more.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

You can lay blame for that squarely at the feet of the trial lawyers. Look at the Las Vegas shooting. The first one they went after was the hotel. See what happens if a hotel tries to search you every time you enter. The same damn lawyers will sue them for violating your rights.

I don't quite follow your thought process here. Could you please elaborate a bit more on your point?

Thanks

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I always have mine either on me or in my car when at work. If my boss where to tell me not to so I would tell him to F off. Have done so in the past and have no problem doing so now.

It is really sad to read this and from what I read this is partially due to the pour management. But getting ran off the road negates the use of a gun.

It is what it is.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

If you take people's guns you will get sued for it. If you don't you will get sued for it.

Either way you are wrong, because of the American sue happy culture.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I wonder if the guy that killed her had a ccw and was a responsible gun owner until he twisted off because of domestic trouble? Happens all the time in domestic disputes.

www.aetv.com...

And using that right to harm or kill someone is already on the books as illegal, right? Regardless of implement, like the car in this case, people that are "twisted off" will find a way to do it, and no law will stop them.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Say I'm eating dinner in a chain restaurant (think Red Lobster). I'm armed, minding my own business and a guy robs the place. While he's robbing the place he shoots a waiter and I shoot and kill him. The restaurant is going to be sued. The family of the waiter is going to sue. People are going to be "traumatized" and they will sue. Hell the family of the robber might sue. (it has happened)
To avoid this the restaurant, probably at the insistence of their insurance companies, is going to post gun free zone signs. Then they can point to the signs and say that the robber and I broke the rules.

As far as the hotel goes, the gunman had several weapons in his room. The lawyers are saying "How could he have gotten so many weapons into his room with out the hotel management knowing?" The hotel has bad security, that makes them liable for the shooting.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Living in constant perpetual fear, where you're literally too scared to even go to work without being armed, really sounds like a fun way to go through life!

But each to their own, I suppose.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
But getting ran off the road negates the use of a gun.

How? He ran her off of the road, got out of his car and shot her. It wasn't even a bad accident. She could have got her weapon out and shot him. If she had it.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I agree, that is a bad argument. While we can never say for sure who would have won the gun fight, we can say for sure she was prevented from having a chance to defend herself.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

If her brother was right and he attacked because he knew that she was unarmed, it may have never happened.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yes, it's very possible. Even if someone says we can never know that, it doesn't matter, we know for a fact she was deprived of her right to defend herself.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

My dad told me when I was like 8 or 9 years old. "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."

Meaning only bad guys will have guns and good guys will not have them.

How is that in any way desireable?

Sounds like the same kind of logic behind the genius plan to hand over hundreds of billions of dollars every year to the worst criminals you could ever imagine, by enacting The War On People. They call it the war on drugs but we know what they really meant.

I also agree, my opinions would get me kicked off. I'll probably get kicked off or suspended soon anyway, based on the frequency of removed posts in the last few months.

I think people arent going to change, unless there are real and immediate consequences for their actions.
edit on 5/18/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Being prepared for the # life might throw at you, with as many useful tools available to aid in that as possible, doesn't make you a coward. Do you accuse people that carry fire extinguishers in their trunks of the same thing?

Those of us that train in hand to hand and armed combat or walk around armed are not cowards, we are just not sticking our heads in the sand and expecting other men to be there to save our asses.
edit on Sat, 18 May 2019 13:58:39 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Living in constant perpetual fear, where you're literally too scared to even go to work without being armed, really sounds like a fun way to go through life!

But each to their own, I suppose.

Living in total ignorance, pretending like everything is all kumbaya because you are too petrified to face reality and too petrified of guns because the guy in the nice suit told you to. Sounds like a great and logical and useful way to live your life!

But, to each their own, I suppose.

I love how people assume that fear is involved. Its logical to protect yourself. You dont have to be afraid and if you are too "petrified to go to work without being armed" then you have problems. The people I know arm themselves because they are aware that there is a thing called criminals and crime and drug addicts and crazy people. They arent shaking as they load their clip, and place the gun in their holster.

But I get how it comforts you to imagine these falsehoods are true. You require these false images to maintain your worldview. If you rid yourself of this ignorance and actually, you know, LEARN, then your worldview would fall to pieces... You learn by experience. You obviously have no experience being around gun owners and guns so you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

If you DO have experience, then I have to wonder why you are spreading this falsehood about petrified gun owners.

Furthermore, she went to work without her weapon and was killed. How cold hearted and uncaring could you possibly be to turn around and make a snide remark about people being "too terrified to go to work without being armed"?

Youre lucky you weren't standing near me when you say that. I would've taught you a lesson about respect. You probably don't take to well to learning so I imagine it would be a thoroughly unenjoyable experience for you... although you would have been improved as a person by the lesson and would be less pathetic as a result, youd still be whining and complaining I imagine. Thats just, who you are...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join