It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study suggests that TDS was a form of partisan cheerleading.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm unsure of the veracity of this study. But the authors contend that a person who might describe suffering psychological distress on social media or to their friends, but doesn’t search for any type of relief, is more likely engaging in partisan cheerleading.

In the aftermath of the 2016 election, many Democrats reported significant increases in stress, depression, and anxiety. Were these increases real, or the product of expressive reporting? Using a unique data set of searches by more than 1 million Bing users before and after the election, we examine the changes in mental-health-related searches among Democrats and Republicans. We then compare these changes to shifts in searches among Spanish-speaking Latinos in the United States. We find that while Democrats may report greater increases in post-election mental distress, their mental health search behavior did not change after the election. On the other hand, Spanish-speaking Latinos had clear, significant, and sustained increases in searches for “depression,” “anxiety,” “therapy,” and antidepressant medications. This suggests that for many Democrats, expressing mental distress after the election was a form of partisan cheerleading.

Source

It does raise a good point. If things were so bad, and stress, depression and anxiety were rife, why didn't they seek help instead of spreading their problems on social media?

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Tomorrow's study: The sky is blue.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSteppenwolf

This seems a reasonable, but very obvious, conclusion. When people have issues, they tend to look for solutions. If they fake issues, nothing changes. Children behave the same way, they forgot to mention that :-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Because seeking help would require an admittance of a problem. They'd much rather pretend the problem isn't internal so they can avoid the mirror completely.

It takes a lot of mental fortitude to be able to look at yourself and do some honest reflection.

But as we all know, those who suffer from "TDS" are mostly mental midgets that would rather project their problems on to others and virtue-signal for some temporary alleviation.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

This seems a reasonable, but very obvious, conclusion. When people have issues, they tend to look for solutions. If they fake issues, nothing changes. Children behave the same way, they forgot to mention that :-)

Cheers - Dave

They call it "expressive reporting", which I guess is a form of showing off, and not an expression of one's actual conditions. It's virtue-signalling.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Its hyperbole. They are "literally" going to die if Trump remains in office. "Literally".

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
And these people want to control everyone else ,but get mental distress from election results. So they probably already had some kind of mental issues beforehand

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The way I see this is like this:

The left thought they could turn the country against Trump by bashing him because it worked for them from 2007 to 2016. Instead, it turned people away from those spreading the lies. In an attempt to get their lost back, they double, triple, quadruple down in their efforts to get the same people back on their side. The harder they try, the farther they fall, the harder they try.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I have been feeling suspect in my waking hours, but as of late ? think my dreaming self might be on the verge of......... lets say I'm glad its dreams and not real life.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Dreams seem dangerous...

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSteppenwolf
I'm unsure of the veracity of this study. But the authors contend that a person who might describe suffering psychological distress on social media or to their friends, but doesn’t search for any type of relief, is more likely engaging in partisan cheerleading.

In the aftermath of the 2016 election, many Democrats reported significant increases in stress, depression, and anxiety. Were these increases real, or the product of expressive reporting? Using a unique data set of searches by more than 1 million Bing users before and after the election, we examine the changes in mental-health-related searches among Democrats and Republicans. We then compare these changes to shifts in searches among Spanish-speaking Latinos in the United States. We find that while Democrats may report greater increases in post-election mental distress, their mental health search behavior did not change after the election. On the other hand, Spanish-speaking Latinos had clear, significant, and sustained increases in searches for “depression,” “anxiety,” “therapy,” and antidepressant medications. This suggests that for many Democrats, expressing mental distress after the election was a form of partisan cheerleading.

Source

It does raise a good point. If things were so bad, and stress, depression and anxiety were rife, why didn't they seek help instead of spreading their problems on social media?

Perhaps they did.... at least the latinos did.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
TDS is fake news generated by sufferers of ODS.
Truth

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

The way I see this is like this:

The left thought they could turn the country against Trump by bashing him because it worked for them from 2007 to 2016. Instead, it turned people away from those spreading the lies. In an attempt to get their lost back, they double, triple, quadruple down in their efforts to get the same people back on their side. The harder they try, the farther they fall, the harder they try.

Their lives and the state of the country are not as bad as they pretend. They can only pretend that it is and hope others of like mind believe them. There is a fine line between TDS and mass hysteria.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   
TDS sufferers remind me of a baby with a diaper load, having a tantrum on the floor, screaming that's its diaper is clean and they don't want to be changed. They get so worked up, kicking their legs around that soon the poop starts leaking out the sides all over stinking up the house. The House of Reps is full of poopy diapers, and they are kicking up a storm. It stinks in there due to their denial. The lies they hold close will only hurt them in the end, while they are making a big stink around the rest of us.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
You gotta love how they attempt to put a nice name on a maniacal mental disorder.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
A more accurate summation is that the vast majority of people reporting mental duress were actually engaged in narcissistic virtue-signaling to their neighbors: "I care more than you about the bad man! I can't even sleep!"

Calling it "cheerleading" just lends it the sound of some pseudo-legitimacy of motive.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I'm unsure of the veracity of this study.

That's a pretty good place to start. It looks to me that the study, with 2 out of 3 authors connected with Microsoft, used Bing(Microsoft) web searches concerning mental health subjects as their database.

Research Question 1: Was the reported increase in negative mental health outcomes among Democrats and Spanish-speaking Latinos in the aftermath to the 2016 election real, or the result of expressive reporting?

I thought that outcomes were determined after therapy and subsequent evaluation of the patient?

I'm glad I don't use Bing. Did the "patients" ever get exit interviews about their "outcome" or are they just still suffering in ignorance of their malady?

Method

To label partisan web searchers, we identified a subgroup of 300,000 Bing users who had also answered a question on MSN.com between 31/07/2016 and 08/11/2016 about their 2016 vote preference or party identification (in addition to questions about gender and age). Of these users, 67% were Republican and/or Trump voters, and 33% were Democratic and/or Clinton voters.6 On average, the respondents in our dataset were 65% male. Of our respondents, 37% had a bachelor’s degree. While race was not a regular MSN.com survey question, 87% of survey respondents on MSN.com on 15/08/2017 were White, while 8% were Black and 5% were Hispanic.

So Bing users also answered a question on MSN (Microsoft).

Conclusions

Given many partisans’ intense dislike of the opposing party, reverse cheerleading may actually be a more common occurrence than regular cheerleading, as partisans clamor to tear down the opposition rather than build up their party.

That would seem to be true. It matches my opinion of my observations anyway.
edit on 17-5-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I Disagree . More like a Mental Instability Caused by Out Of Mind Influences ...........

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

TDS is fake news generated by sufferers of ODS.

I don't know any on line daters.
I'll stay away from online dating services.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

" I'll stay away from online dating services. "

Good Logical Thinking After taking in All of the Variables .......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join