It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

43 states sue 20 generic drug makers...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...So here's the skinny.

20 generic drug companies conspired to raise prices and not compete with one another to make a bunch of money. Now, 43 states are suing them.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. states filed a lawsuit accusing Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc of orchestrating a sweeping scheme with 19 other drug companies to inflate drug prices - sometimes by more than 1,000% - and stifle competition for generic drugs, state prosecutors said on Saturday.

My take: 1) drug dealers are drug dealers, whether on the street or legal. The motivation is the same. 2) no one will go to jail. The companies will enter into an agreement, cut a few checks for, maybe, 20% of the profits made, but not admit wrong doing. the execs and ceos might step down, with full golden parachute intact. then get hired by a new company for even more money.

bad guys win, you lose.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
bad guys win, you lose.
a reply to: stormson

Golly mister, won't you sing us a new tune? We know that one all too well.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I have epilepsy. These people make drugs that keep me alive available to me for a fraction of the price. This is not optional from my POV. I would not classify myself as a drug addict. I know what happens if I don't take my prescriptions. I know what happens better than I want to.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I have epilepsy. These people make drugs that keep me alive available to me for a fraction of the price. This is not optional from my POV. I would not classify myself as a drug addict. I know what happens if I don't take my prescriptions. I know what happens better than I want to.

Whats stupid and unforgivable is charging people in your folks position 35k times what the cost is for the medication that would save your life....
edit on 5/16/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

That's the point.

You must have the meds, so they can charge what they like and you have to pay it. Instead of competing to bring cost down, they conspired to increase prices and profit at your expense.

For example. A certain insulin med has cost $7 a vial to produce for a decade or so. The companies got together and agreed to raise prices. So the price has gone from $26 to $300 a vial.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Virtually all facets of the healthcare industry need to be overhauled, starting with big pharma would be a great beginning.

Once a doctor prescribes you a medication or treatment long term, except in certain cases it ought to be deemed essential and be bought for and paid by the government.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Nothing says happy Thanksgiving when you’re in the middle of cooking dinner and wake up 20 min later with your head through the wall and being surrounded by paramedics because I forgot to take ky seizure meds that day! Trust me, I know full well what you’re talking about and that’s just one of several neurological conditions and that doesn’t count the PTSD or the multitude of pain meds I’m on. Hooray for serving our country!!!!

new topics

top topics

join