It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question. . . Who has changed their mind on the subject of abortion?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It gets talked about a lot.

Now even more so with the looming threat of a Supreme Court revisit of this epic ruling.

I've certainly shared my opinion on the subject.

But this thread isn't about my opinion. This is more exploring the idea that, if minds haven't changed, then where does this lead us?

www.pewforum.org...

Above is a link to a Pew survey article on abortion.

More people think it should be legal than not.

If the poll is accurate, then more people in America think abortion should be legal.

I'm wondering if any, many have changed their minds or could change their minds. Could it go either way?

If so, would more who were against it be for it, or the opposite?

Now regardless how we all feel on the subject, the courts will rule how they will rule.

My question to all of you is this;

Has your mind been changed on abortion?

If so, how?

What could cause a change in such a foundational tenet?

I didn't put this in the Pit for a change, so play nice.

+1 more 
posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I've shifted a bit on the subject.

But that probably has more to do with getting older and the shift(slight) to more conservative viewpoints.

I'm not a conservative/republican, I'm neither Pro life or pro choice.

I think it's wrong, albeit I do accept there are valid cases for it.

I just don't think it should be used as a way to rid one of any form of personal responsibility. I also don't think it should be used as a "weapon" to control certain demographics of the population. Which was actually exactly what it was meant for and it's succeeding at it.

I wish more people saw the real control it's about and would refuse to fall for it. Spoiler, the control isn't "over my own body".

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

The entire issue of abortion has become "weaponized".

The topic has certainly been used as a cudgel. I admit that I've even used it myself.

+3 more 
posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
My mind changed the moment I held my daughter .

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: MisterSpock

The entire issue of abortion has become "weaponized".

The topic has certainly been used as a cudgel. I admit that I've even used it myself.

I wasn't talking about it being a weapon in that sense.

I was referring to the fact it was created to disproportionately limit black birth rates.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Like in some plot thickened horror story..

I might change my mind after finding out the circumstances;

there's so many like what about fetus without a brain.. Does Alabama even provide for medical or genetic exceptions?... i mean like a hemophiliac pregnant from unconsented incest, as a random example!

Wonder what the METOO consensus on recent ruling is like...

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There was a time when I was pro choice. My wife and I would never have an abortion, but I wouldn’t get involved in anyone else’s life. Years later my niece had an abortion and I guess I had to really think about it. It was hitting close to home.

Later I now have grandchildren, if we or my son’s wife had aborted a pregnancy we would have been denied the most wonderful gift in life. So, for me I could never advocate for abortion. At the mature age of 61 I see it as pure and simple murder.

I’m sure this isn’t the popular view, but it’s how I see it today.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
One can wish for things to be legal, for the sake of freedom, yet not support said 'thing'. Abortion is one of them. Let others be free to make their own mistakes and learn from them, but do not take away their freedom to do so.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If you believe an unborn child is already an individual, a human life, a person, then there's not a lot of wiggleroom even where horrific hypotheticals are concerned. So no, I've been pro-life since I first started studying political issues and recognized I was a bit right of center on most political topics. There has been very little change in my thoughts on the fact that abortion is just legalized infanticide for profit as well as a twisted, perverted badge of honor within the malephobic third wave feminists who have chosen the lives their own actions have helped create to be sacrifices to their cause of weaponizing sex and sexuality against the patriarchy.
edit on 16-5-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Nope. It's not for me, but I would never deny someone else the right to decide it's the right thing for them.

I was in that situation once upon a time. When it came down to time to make the appointment, I just couldn't do it. I don't regret that to this day.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I don’t believe in taking rights away from my fellow citizens so I am on the pro-choice side in that respect. I would never actively support the murder of a fellow human being and I believe abortion is murder...in fact I think you need to do a lot of mental gymnastics to argue that it isn’t murder.

I have never been able to reconcile these two conflicting beliefs so I have decided to take no action one way or the other. I still don’t have a comfortable place to be on the issue.
edit on 2019/5/16 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I am no fan of abortion or the government's desire to regulate it. I haven't changed much on that position, though I have grown more and more opposed to abortion for moral reasons. We've expanded our definition of what is alive and what is human, we have also accepted that there may be a conflict of rights between a potential human and an actual one. This is a discussion that needs to continue in America because it doesn't seem to continue anywhere else.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
My mind changed the moment I held my daughter .

Abortion was always an abstract issue when I was young, but with the birth of my first child, it solidified it for me.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I wonder how many women that get pregnant say "oh goody, now I get to have an abortion" That decision should be between the woman and her doctor; And definitely not by the government, state or federal.

I'm with Metallicus, I don't believe in taking rights away from my fellow citizens.
edit on 16-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I've never know a Pro-Life person to change, but I know a couple of women who switched after having an abortion. One who suffered a lot of mental anguish for years after. Changed her completely and she never really came out of it.

Me, I've not changed my Pro-Life stance because I can't just suddenly decide that an unborn child is not a person.

As a country though it has changed until you get to the third trimester abortions, then it's still hovering around 75% who are opposed. Even Pro-Choice people draw the line there. Anytime a law allowing it is passed, it means the lawmakers completely ignore their own constituents.

This is a meaningless debate. You either believe the unborn are people with rights or you do not. There is very little grey area other than the mothers physical health. It's just a tool corrupt people use to push their agenda's in politics. None of us are real people to politicians after the polls close. They just say dance people dance as they pull the strings that control us and fire up the hate train preparing for the next election when suddenly we matter. The only way to beat them is to stop hating each other over differences they create to blind us to everything else they do.

What it truly is now is a tool, a bludgeon that both sides use to keep people from changing parties.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I'm with Metallicus, I don't believe in taking rights away from my fellow citizens.

It's a tough issue, but I don't believe in taking the most important right away from my fellow unborn citizens.

edit on 16-5-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I've been here a long time now.

I remember when you detested abortion, but held the staunch libertarian position of its none of my business.

What changed your mind?

edit on 16-5-2019 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

originally posted by: olaru12

It's a tough issue, but I don't believe in taking the most important right away from my fellow unborn citizens.

For me the question has always been about when the fetus truly becomes alive, when a soul enters it (for those who believe in souls) or when it has brain activity. Neither of those have really been pinned down. But in either case, I agree, they are a fellow human at that point and nobody has a right to murder another human.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

“ If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.' “

That’s supposed to be Churchill .

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I'm having a private conversation about this elsewhere and I think I'll post part of it here to explain my view and why I think it should not be a political issue.

A person has to believe it's murder for it to be murder and that's not the case here. Sadly both sides are right from their own perspective and neither side is better than the other in reality. If you believe an unborn child is not yet a person, then abortion is not an evil act. Neither side is trying to be the bad guy, but no politician will ever speak to that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join