It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're all on death row

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

And drink the good stuff, whenever possible. If you don't, I will.

*Raises a Busch Ice in solidarity*

Cheers Brother.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'll be 46 this year. I started thinking about my mortality because I lost my father unexpectedly when he was 54 years old from a stroke. Even though I was only 25 at the time and he 54, he seemed so much older from my vantage point at that time. Now that I'm 46, I realized how young he was and it is starting to freak me out.

The other thing that started messing with me is seeing other people my age dying of various health related issues.

I've lived a good life and enjoying things, but can't help but wonder who much longer I have... another day or 50 years.

The one thing that has changed is that all I want to do is enjoy life and experience things. I hate being on the grind working. I'm trying to retire as soon as possible so I can spend more time with my family and doing things I love. My musing is that no one is on their death bed regretting they didn't work harder as a corporate drone.

I don't get people who seem like all they do is work even when they don't have to... I literally know people who are worth multiple millions and could comfortably retire today, but yet they still put in 60 hours a week, etc.

I just don't get it.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Alcohol in moderation is very good for you, idc what anyone says.

Going back to the stress taking time from your lifespan idea, thus lefties dying on average some years earlier. What sort of miraculous effects would you get cumulatively if you protected your brain with alcohol, in moderation?

Moderation is the key because what I'm suggesting is to use an addictive substance via self control for the rest of your life. A lot of people think of and talk about alcohol like partying or getting drunk. It's because most people have no concept of moderate drinking, dare I term it medicinally.

Alcohol with lunch was probably the reason I was able to make this thread about a sensitive subject without losing life from the stress of it. Likewise to be able to read and reply, not thinking much of it.

Minus alcohol: Omg I'm going to die in 40 years if im lucky, probably less. *heartbeat increase, blood pressure increases, mood affected leading to stressful thoughts*

All of which technically shave seconds or minutes off of your longevity each and every time. It's a scary concept.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Cheers Brother.

Ummm...he did say..."drink the good stuff"...

Raises glass of Absinthe...to check that piss water your swilling...

Everything in perspective brother...

YouSir
edit on 16-5-2019 by YouSir because: of that damned missing...e...

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I don't get people who seem like all they do is work even when they don't have to... I literally know people who are worth multiple millions and could comfortably retire today, but yet they still put in 60 hours a week, etc.

I just don't get it.

To each his or her own.

I love my career , it's been financially rewarding, mentally challenging and I have a damn fun time doing it.
On an average week i working about 50 hours or so based on salary so it's not like I'm getting OT.
Some people just like working and some don't.

Similar to you I just don't get people that don't like working. =)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Nothing wrong with using something to keep you going, but it is a short term solution, i have had a rough year, but somehow i feel good even with all the (SNIP) around me, only vices are nicotine and coffee, microdozing alcohol is something i have been thinking about when feeling a bit under the weather.. like with a squeeze mist bottle thing, entertaining idea...

I am lucky i did not end up like the people i grew up with, they are pretty much all dead because of suicide or violence or are currently bat(snip) crazy in mental institutions.

I have found great comfort in studying ancient past and slowly finding and building my own belief system, and i actually believe in it. also have found great meaning for my life in dreamworlds, many modernish books also helped with this, especially - The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.

Any and all mysteries keep me going, and if there are none, i can always dive deep to the subconscious.

-Edit, only mentioning this because it sounds like you might be struggling with some depression, (an old friend of mine) so it is good to give the brain something to think about,
edit on 16-5-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

There's a difference between living to work, and working to live.

What's that old adage; do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life?

Not everyone is fortunate to be doing something they love for a living. Some people have to work long back-breaking hours doing something they hate simply to make ends meet. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone under these circumstances that would choose to continue working over having financial freedom.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: opethPA

There's a difference between living to work, and working to live.

What's that old adage; do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life?

Not everyone is fortunate to be doing something they love for a living. Some people have to work long back-breaking hours doing something they hate simply to make ends meet. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone under these circumstances that would choose to continue working over having financial freedom.

No doubt a fair point but not something that I or my peers have had to think about so it's hard to sometimes keep that perspective.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Life is terminal a reply to: r0xor

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Edumakated

I just don't get it.

To each his or her own.

I love my career , it's been financially rewarding, mentally challenging and I have a damn fun time doing it.
On an average week i working about 50 hours or so based on salary so it's not like I'm getting OT.
Some people just like working and some don't.

Similar to you I just don't get people that don't like working. =)

That's fair. My career has been rewarding financially, enjoyable at times, but I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have to work. I do get some people work because they enjoy it, but I'd venture that is a really small minority of people.

I see so many people who do nothing but work to the point that their marriages fall apart, their kids despise them, they miss important life events / memories, etc... To be frank, they aren't doing life or society changing things. No one is going to remember what Joe Middle Manager did at XYZ F500 company after putting in 60 hours/week for 25 years. Just a cog in a wheel and easily replaced. However, his kids may be resentful he missed the prom or whatever.

Work is overrated imho. I guess I am just a point mentally, where I don't need a lot. I just want to see and experience some things and if I don't have to worry about going to some stupid corporate circle jerk meeting or dealing with crazy and unappreciative clients anymore, I would be perfectly happy.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Get a Nintendo, relax.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Well, I'm at 44 now. I am now with the love of my life. She came out of nowhere around six years ago. I have had issues with depression myself. God can help through it. It was a good church family along with my wife that got me through the last one. Hold on you can make more of your life as it goes on. Things are starting to look up for me now. Yes it took this long for life to start being enjoyable. You can do this.

Kocag

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You guys crack me up. I turn 70 next week.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

-Dylan Thomas

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Happy almost 70th birthday schuyler!

Sounds like a good night for a good steak dinner to treat yourself right.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
i was in eight grade when i almost died so i was just an idiot kid . i used to read spawn comics and he made a deal with the devil so i thought cool i am like spawn. or constantine who could see angels and demons. for about ten years now i believed in revelations cause part of this underground renaissance. what i do for ten years just keep telling myself this is heaven. i almost died i am in bonus round. like the matrix what if for 2000 years people just didnt get it. what if we are already here. ephimamy. i didnt have a girlfriend from 21-31 i went to strip clubs with adult friends like james from silent hill2. the twin of his dead wife who was a demon to torment him while he watches her die three times and is powerless to do anything.

she has the key to the strip club called heavens night. everyone in my town thought i was molested so like jonathan davis without band and money. when everybody around you thinks your gay they act strange. i kept distance cause i thought i was terrorist. lived like hermit. i had no girlfriend for three and a half years now. if my luck turns good might be engaged. everyday i am overjoyed to still be alive and here. i might get forty years before i gotta cash in my ticket to heaven. i have to work but then i get freedom. i can do whatever i want.

3d enviroment how do you picture heaven? well clouds all your friends and family mansion dont gotta work pepsi on tap. well i was with my dad and we were in mastic at reservations then he wanted to walk to give a job estimate. i thought to myself i wanna play grand theft auto V right now and later that day did. i dont have a mansion i have GTA V my 238million dollar sandbox playground. i drive around i play like a criminal or badass working on 100% file. driving honking at people a guy hits me at intersection get out of car pull the other guy out of car punch him till he gets knocked out. then just drive its not real just a game i used two stock market missions so everybody had money. pimped out their rides. its just a game but its favorite hobby . in real life i dont have license or girlfriend unemployed six months so broke. take pleasure in the little things. when i was in hospital eight grade couldnt move right side bedridden and wheelchair.

things could be a lot worse. in simpsons or south park they start a church and bart says i got it covered death bed confession i get in. a priest said too him what about sudden death you could have full coverage. and he goes full coverage. tomorrow i get shot in head black out again or vegetable in hospital i spent last ten years in heaven. full coverage.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Show off...

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Cheers Brother.

Ummm...he did say..."drink the good stuff"...

Raises glass of Absinthe...to check that piss water your swilling...

Everything in perspective brother...

YouSir

Sometimes you have to get your palet ready for the good stuff by contrast drinking the not so good stuff.

Once it gets later in the night, I like a nice vintage raging red maddog 20/20.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Only natural to be afraid of death, its human nature to fear the unknown, other animals are not blessed / cursed with that knowledge.

I say enjoy the ride and look forward to death not with fear but with wonder.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

My musing is that no one is on their death bed regretting they didn't work harder as a corporate drone.

If you know this, you are already half way there.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join