It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're all on death row

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Perhaps I've just had lingering depression but if so, it's rather sketchy that it always harbors this idea:

None of us have that long to live. A convict on death row simply knows the date of it which is subject to change because of court and other potential circumstances. Many stay on death row for 20 years or longer, die from natural causes there. So even death row isn't an automatic death sentence persay, but makes it a possibility or a probability depending on the state.

That means in a way that we're all on a death row except ignorant to the date until it gets closer, sometimes. Other times it's sudden and unexpected, but assuming none of that happens and you live your full tenure, it's a horribly depressing but very realistic view. I'm in my mid 30s, soon to be late, and if I were to be lucky enough to live to the average age which is 76 years, I'm dead in 40 years.

40 years isn't a long time, and as of right now I identify with myself as how I've always looked and acted since adulthood even though I'm almost halfway through it. That means the second half if I'm so lucky will be drastically accelerated aging on my appearance and mental ability, worsening of all existing health problems and new ones forming, basically slowly dying while alive.

Then, when it gets close to the time if I have one of the typical drawn out "you have this long to live unless you can fix it or have a miracle" deaths, I'll be basically Godless or at least not expecting an afterlife with no kids probably to rest my death on like they'll live through me, maybe not even a love of my life. It'll just be an old miserable dying man in 40 years if I'm lucky. That's reality.

I don't want to make it seem worse so I'm not going to do the math, I have before. That's only 365 x 40 days.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Or spend the time you have enjoying life...
I'm 45 , so closer to the end you talk about then you are and I would not want to be any other age then I am right now. I have won and lost in life...Both are needed to appreciate anything.

Plenty of wonderful, horrible, amazing, terrible, beautiful, ugly , sweet and sour things to hear, see , taste and enjoy. =)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Haha, fun read, i am 99# percent sure i am about 31, but with my habits, i am lucky to have 20 years left, and speaking of left, i am also left handed, so i have to deal with all kinds of racist machinery not designed to be operated by us, and have for example set myself on fire with them, as the sparks flew from the wrong side when cutting metal.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I think in many cases depression or anxiety (the first often confused with the latter) are a defense mechanism.

I've often found myself in bad spells with anxiety in life, and typically it's in moments where I have gotten into a rut of complacency.

As per the love of your life or kids thing, those can be great for a lot of people, if that's what you're looking for I hope you find it. But there are other ways to find enrichment in life, and also leave behind some legacy so you feel that once you die, your impact will continue.

Maybe set aside an hour out of each day to put towards something productive that can lead to equity, who knows, maybe after a short period of time that chin will lift up.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

and speaking of left, i am also left handed, so i have to deal with all kinds of racist machinery not designed to be operated by us

#LeftHandsMatter #AllHandsMatter #StopHandHate

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: solve

Haha, fun read, i am 99# percent sure i am about 31, but with my habits, i am lucky to have 20 years left, and speaking of left, i am also left handed, so i have to deal with all kinds of racist machinery not designed to be operated by us, and have for example set myself on fire with them, as the sparks flew from the wrong side when cutting metal.

I'm left handed too so we have less time to live on average because it's stressful to live life I guess? I adapt without noticing it and end up better or at least equally good at most things without it bothering me but its in an accepted study. I'm Rh negative which I have no idea the effects if any on longevity. I might not get to average or I might have freakish dna like the royals.

I like to quixotically consider the latter just like others put their faith in a heaven where all of their loved ones and pets are waiting in a room with pillows and a pitcher of ambrosia, soma or something like that.

I guess this is where I reconnoiter life, what I enjoy doing, what makes me happy, make lifestyle changes where possible because they take a long time without absolute misery which I feel shortens your life just as much. Mid life crisis? I'm going to die in about as much time as I've been on the Earth thus far so I can measure it, feel it, kinda know how long that is.

The idea could be taken to obsessive levels easily as any unnecessary stressors on you whatsoever, down to reading something that puts you out shortens your lifespan. If lefties die a few years earlier on average because life is a little more stressful, there's your proof.
edit on 5/16/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Well, I guess viewing life through the lens of 3d consciousness, one might arrive to that rather despondent outlook, I get it.

Meditation and developing your inner world may alter your perspective some.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Meditation and developing your inner world may alter your perspective some.

I've heard that's easier to do in Denver now.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I think it is all about what we think happens after death.
I have a strong belief that we don't just die and that's it.
Maybe our time here on earth is the worst of it, and there is so much more out there.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I was having a good day until I read that #, now I am depressed. thanks for reminding me of my limited run here on this blue spinning plate (the earth is flat right?!?)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
"Either get busy living or get busy dying."

From a song in Easy Rider I think.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Maybe our time here on earth is the worst of it, and there is so much more out there.

I agree. I'm not a religious person, but after a few very convincing out-of-body experiences about 20 years ago I had a drastic change of perspective. Now I look at life as an analog to a video game character. One day the switch gets turned off and its back to the real existence.

As BlueJacket said, meditation may help those who haven't had such a life changing event.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I know that's the secret to not caring as much or considering it as a thought because you have a degree of certainty or confidence in what you've come to believe whether it be through a religion or long hours of studying information by yourself. I used to have that, used to be certain there was something bigger than us to it, but not so much anymore.

It's still an open question mark but in my mind, the chance of existing after the blood flow stops to our brain is nil. I don't feel that we're somehow more special than other animals, that God or something put a stamp of approval or special care into this species of mammal in particular. "The rest die after 10 or however many years, some people die quicker than that, in the womb from abortion but we have a soul or spirit that they don't have".

I just call that our intelligence. Our brains are studied and proven to be the most immense, complex of their kind and we have ideas that make stories, movies, art, everything. Certainly we'd think up something to make us not worry about dying like all of the animals and our relatives, peers we've seen pass away. How perfect is that, no need to worry about never existing anymore for eternity because we've got you covered with a paradise, a reincarnation, or hellfire if you were evil".

Just use your self control to not be evil thus making you a better person, believe in your thing 100%, and you're set for a peaceful death expecting something that might not be there but you'll never know anyway so it's whatever you believed right before you died.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
i think about this a lot in eight grade pretty much pre teen i almost died. i had amnesia and three weeks of time missing from my memories. what happens when you die? the universe was around billions of years before i even existed. in the beast wars series and beast machines five seasons of transformers. they eventually made it back to cybertron and were sent to prehistoric earth to bring the organic with technological back to the planet. people are a civilized animal and their are laws in place to keep us from acting on primal urges. we are organic are bodies are organs are living tissue.

we are so advanced and even if are bodies decompose and decinerate but we might have a soul cause made in gods image. the series finale of lost was about dying jack i think maybe you go into the light with all people closest to you which can feel like an eternity or millisecond.

in american beauty he is talking backwards narrarting a story where he died at end , he said you have peace with it and just let go . while the camera is going backwards into sky on the street he lived. the comedian british i forget his name not kat williams other guy in gta iv. he is an aetheist and believes in before life. just cease to exist like before you were born. i was just a stupid kid i had a traumatic experience when young. studied dreams for three years to see if i had proff of afterlife. i had lucid dreams and i got very good recall because i studied it and put the intention there. i read the book exploring the world of lucid dreaming ten times cover to cover. their is a technique called mild which is an acronym for something. walking to high school every time you see a cat check watch time flows backwards in a dream check watch am i dreaming or awake. keep a dream journal when you wake dont open your eyes play them backwards what happened before that if journal is by bed you can scribble with eyes closed.

i can only remember one trained myself to nt open eyes when i wake up. some people can remember whole night six or eight. i looked into dreams to try to get proof of supernatural. dr stephen laberge who wrote it dreams are good while they last what more can you say about life. they know littlest about brain. its like that saying we are all in this alone, together. no one knows some have faith.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm Pastafarian (Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, he boiled for our sins)... Anyways, we believe that heaven has a beer volcano and a stripper factory. Hell on the other hand has the same thing, but the beer is stale, and the strippers have STD's.

And in his name- R'amen.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well, I sure hope I don't have to put up with this crazy new society for forty more years. I'd be over a hundred years old in forty years, my patients would be gone by the time I turned ninety five years old.

We are born, we live, we die. How we live our life in the meantime is important. Honesty and integrety are important, but we also have to have some fun and enjoy life. I grew up in a time where there were lots of social functions going on to meet people, we went to functions and social events to meet women and we did stuff like play frisby, fished, camped, had outdoor parties, and danced at bars. Tobogganing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, skiing, and skating at outdoor rinks was the norm. We shopped in supermarkets and worked on our own cars because everything was simple.

Nowadays, working on cars is expensive and way too technical, you cannot buy a ten year old car with ninety thousand miles on it for a hundred bucks anymore, one that you can take on a five hundred mile trip and get home safely in. People do not go out to meet people to date anymore, they go online and join a dating service where people accentuate the unimportant aspects of themselves or twist their words to make themselves look better. Honesty is poof. Knowing how to deceive others is the new world here. I remember when bragging was about how many beers you could drink and still stand up. People are getting all wound up in politics instead of going out to meet their friends somewhere. I sure am glad I didn't grow up in these times. Back when I was young, every boy had a pocket knife in school, if you ever pulled it out the principle would drag you to the office by your ear and call your parents....that was really scary, parents did not mess around back those days. You could still get a belt if you were fifteen years old.

This new reality sure isn't fun, everyone staring at their phone all day long. I was just outside piling firewood, that was kind of fun, it is sixty outside, heatwave. People have been brainwashed that you have to spend a lot of money to have fun, that working hard is bad and that paying to work out at a health club is good. You want exercise to stay healthy, just go out and put in a garden or go walk around and meet people. Go to a lake and go swimming or go shovel some snow or build a snowfort. What happened to people, have fun, but also be safe, use some common sense and do risk assessment.

I feel so sorry for the kids nowadays, stuck in the house with video games and staring at a hand held computer and typing in chat. They do not even call their friends anymore, I guess exercising lips talking is taboo these days, your thumbs need the exercise.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Life is ultimately what you make it.

If you spend the days counting down to your inevitable demise, you're bound to live an unfufilling and depressing life, no matter how long or short it may be.

Simply existing is not living.

But if you live every day with intention and purpose, it's a lot easier to accept whatever lies ahead, be it everything you wish or absolutely nothing at all.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
We all stress, struggle, fight, hold on and worry... just to die.

Where is the passion when you know you'll just snuff out. Where is the reason... This has been my mindset for almost 2 years now. almost 50. Watching family become frail, weak, scared. and die.

is a fate we all will meet, if we're lucky...

"I give you life!!! but only for a short time, then you die, alone." the creature said.
"Bugger that, I'll just stay this way, that's a crap proposal." the soul said.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Going to live forever with this cyberware.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

My father told me this when I was young. Live every day as if it were your last, but know that it probably isn't. What I got out of that is don't have regrets over things you wish you would have done. Take a few risks, live a bit, but always plan for the emergencies.

Don't spend 1 second worrying about things you can't change. That is wasted effort. And drink the good stuff, whenever possible. If you don't, I will.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join