It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange Punched a Hole in the Milky Way. But What Exactly Is It?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Not only is it strange it's also massive , perhaps a million times the mass of the sun.

The discovery of the Galactic hit and run was made by Ana Bonaca, a researcher at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

Bonaca's evidence for the dark impactor, which she presented April 15 at the conference of the American Physical Society in Denver, is a series of holes in our galaxy's longest stellar stream, GD-1. Stellar streams are lines of stars moving together across galaxies, often originating in smaller blobs of stars that collided with the galaxy in question.

Under normal conditions, the stream should be more or less a single line, stretched out by our galaxy's gravity, she said in her presentation. Astronomers would expect a single gap in the stream, at the point where the original globular cluster was before its stars drifted away in two directions. But Bonaca showed that GD-1 has a second gap. And that gap has a ragged edge — a region Bonaca called GD-1's "spur" — as if something huge plunged through the stream not long ago, dragging stars in its wake with its enormous gravity.

The problem is the whatever it is that ploughed through the stream is not only very big it's also very invisible so it can't be a massive Star and the only other candidate would be a second supermassive black hole in our Galaxy but if that were the case we would have some evidence for it ... but we don't.

It's not impossible that there's a second supermassive black hole in our galaxy, Bonaca said. But we'd expect to see some sign of it, like flares or radiation from its accretion disk. And most large galaxies seem to have just a single supermassive black hole at their center.

With no giant, bright objects visible zipping away from GD-1, and no evidence for a hidden, second supermassive black hole in our galaxy, the only obvious option left is a big clump of dark matter. That doesn't mean the object is definitely, 100%, absolutely made of dark matter, Bonaca said. "It could be that it's a luminous object that went away somewhere, and it's hiding somewhere in the galaxy," she added.
But that seems unlikely, in part due to the sheer scale of the object.

So perhaps the culprit is something a little more exotic.

This dense ball of unseen something plunging through our Milky Way offers physicists a new scrap of evidence that dark matter might be real. And it would suggest that dark matter is really "clumpy," as most theories about its behavior predict.
www.livescience.com...

Ana Bonaca says she will continue to do more mapping projects to see if she can find other other regions of the sky with unexplained disturbances that could be attributed to something massive knocking stuff about , until then we have a mystery that may hint at the existence of the much fabled Dark Matter .... or perhaps something else less fabled.

+5 more 
posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I would imagine there are things out there we can't even....imagine!

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Although at the macro level we have mathematical equations broadly understanding gravity and its affects, I think there's much more we do not understand. I think gravity is not some side effect property of matter but some kind of force generated by motion between particles.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
A skewer for a BBQ, we are now part of a shish-kabob. Soon, it will be put on the grill and it will be hotter than hell.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

If I remember correctly, the Sagatarius galaxy is passing through the Milkyway, could it be that galaxies super black hole that caused the rift?

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
So we are saying dark matter as in anti-matter? Find these stuff fascinating but know so very little about it.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Plasma in rarified space can have enormous energy....spread out over a large area.

But i've wondered why plasmas aren't investigated as the perpetrator of "dark matter".

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
SORRY, BUT I AM ANNOYED

it is actually my heel, when im stomping, but AI must be taken down.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Not anti-matter but a form of matter we don't yet understand , or even know if it exists.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Not anti-matter but a form of matter we don't yet understand , or even know if it exists.

Doesn't matter?

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

it is black matter, souls are made of black matter, my high being made of black matter, beings of first world are black matter...

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short

Doesn't matter?

or

What's the matter

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
So we are saying dark matter as in anti-matter? Find these stuff fascinating but know so very little about it.

No

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I just remember reading about theories on the Tunguska event and one of the theories among others was antimatter, like an incredibly small amount, but once it hits matter the energy release was astronomical. Again just theoretical but cool to think about.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Plasma in rarified space can have enormous energy....spread out over a large area.

But i've wondered why plasmas aren't investigated as the perpetrator of "dark matter".

Oh but they are! It's a relatively small group of scientists that believe in the plasma universe and that there is no need for dark matter to explain everything we observe. But the field is growing and the more data we get the more their theories seem likely. The electric universe folks (thunderbolts.info) along with others like Ben Davidson of Suspicious Observers are all over this topic. Great things to contemplate in their youtube videos.

I've been monitoring them for a few years and its pretty amazing that when we get new data from telescopes and satellites which blow holes in classical astronomy theories, those same data sets drop right into the plasma universe model nicely.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I'm a space cadet without a licence, so I am not qualified to give an answer, but it may be dark matter, which has been detected via indirect methods.

Dark energy however...a mystery still yet unsolvedsolved, a mystery that could hold the secrets to many uncanny objects in our universe.
edit on 16-5-2019 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MasterOfNonexistent

it is black matter, souls are made of black matter, my high being made of black matter, beings of first world are black matter...

Magical Melanin.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I love your threads and believe you really give the most information but I cant be the only person who is aware of this event

It has to be considered ?

Great thread

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
maybe stray black hole that doesn't belong to our galaxy ? just punched through it in high speed ?

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Although at the macro level we have mathematical equations broadly understanding gravity and its affects, I think there's much more we do not understand. I think gravity is not some side effect property of matter but some kind of force generated by motion between particles.

Gravity is when mass "falls" (or is sucked into) a non-physical dimension that is part of its constituent nature. It doesn't move, because it can't exist in a non-physical dimension and the force on it is applied equally all around it, but the effect is to bend spacetime into itself, which has an effect on all the other mass around it.
edit on 16-5-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join