It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia About to elect a left wing government

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: harold223

i genuinely feel like this is the most positive outcome of this election. I've been around activist circles a while and have a few really intense activist friends and it's always been this struggle of being vastly, overwhelmingly outnumbered. There's always been a lot of heartfelt support from others, but in a sort of distant way - which i get, because we're all struggling to get by at best. Now, for the first time, i'm starting to see people on a large scale feeling galvanised into action and it fills me with hope far more than it would have to see wishy washy Shorten on the top seat.
Don't let go of this feeling. Remember that SO many people are feeling the same way. I don't know what part of the country you live in but i can guarantee there are grassroots organisations that need you and your input.
see you on the front lines, brother

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The left always expects you to take one for the team.

And it’s always your turn.

Most people have had enough already

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen

No, the "left" expects supposed adults to accept that fixing what needs to be fixed will cost money - that you cannot get what you want for free. The "left" accepts that there will always be losers no matter how you go about it.

The "right" delusionally believes they shouldn't have to contribute and pay anything to fix what they helped break.

The "Left" act like adults, the "right" act like spoiled brats.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: Graysen

No, the "left" expects supposed adults to accept that fixing what needs to be fixed will cost money - that you cannot get what you want for free. The "left" accepts that there will always be losers no matter how you go about it.

The "right" delusionally believes they shouldn't have to contribute and pay anything to fix what they helped break.

The "Left" act like adults, the "right" act like spoiled brats.

Thanks for making my point for me.

it's a class war. The left has abandoned the lower classes; no longer valuing their sacrifice. "there will always be losers." That is just writing people off because you don't value them.

In US politics, the best example from the 2016 election was Bernie Sanders offering "free college". In the US, this offer is only enticing to the kids who are "college material." In other words, already part of the elite. So Bernie was offering to make college free for people who had already attained middle class status. Hardly helping the poor. Offering to make a car payment, or giving a free bus pass would revolutionize the life of a poor working family...

A broader example is the Left stance toward record levels of immigration into the US. There is a social and economic cost being paid for this policy. The left favors the current arrangement because those costs are borne disproportionately by the lower classes. Illegal immigrants aren't taking all the tenure-track teaching positions; they're taking all the warehouse jobs. But, as you put it, "there will always be losers."

You shouldn't be surprised when the draw of classical liberalism is on the wane around the world; it leaves more and more people out of the solution, writing them off as "deplorables," and consoling them with the comfort that "there will always be losers."
edit on 20-5-2019 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

It's not worth developing ulcers over the result which was not much of a change at all overall in a fair contest. Labor needs to propose policies that will win back the 'swinging' voters who deserted them this time round and they'll get another shot at it in a few years so plenty of time to make the necessary improvements.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Bill Shorten lost because he has the charisma of a doorknob.
Its that simple..

that and he had a lot of stink around him from the knifing of Gillard and Rudd.

Scott Morrison was always going to win, he's a larakan and has a easy smile - Bill Shorten was hated..

Now, I truly hope Scott Morrison gets traction and makes positive change... if not, in 2 years Dutton will knife him and become our new PM

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 03:03 AM
link   

The "left" accepts that there will always be losers no matter how you go about it.

The problem is that the losers are always somebody else.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Bill Shorten lost because he has the charisma of a doorknob.
Its that simple..

that and he had a lot of stink around him from the knifing of Gillard and Rudd.

I have to agree there. Bill was always on the nose - but I was looking at the stability of the leadership team he had gathered around him rather than at just one person. It's sad others couldn't see the bigger picture.

Now, I truly hope Scott Morrison gets traction and makes positive change... if not, in 2 years Dutton will knife him and become our new PM

I'd like to hope I'm wrong and that ScoMo will actually do some good - but the last 6 years has all but proven to me that he will not. His failure at Tourism Australia (he was fired), through to his backroom deals against Abbott and Turnbull as well as such stunts as taking lumps of coal into parliament - all of this does not bode well for a stable and effective ScoMo government.

You are correct about Dutton possibly knifing ScoMo down the track. Many people have been tricked into thinking that the LNP made it impossible to change leaders mid-term again - yet the truth is they just made it slightly harder. Also, the "knifers" will feel vindicated in having toppled Turnbull and will now forever see it as a viable solution.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Well that didn't take long. Hope LNP voters are proud of themselves:

Morrison win sparks sharp lift in wholesale electricity prices

Wholesale electricity prices shot up on Monday after the Coalition's surprise election sparked renewed speculation the government would push on with its "big stick' energy policies.

The wholesale electricity price is what generators charge retailers and it accounts for about a third of household power bills, and even more for industrial energy users.

The expected future wholesale price rose 8 per cent for NSW and shot up about 7 per cent for Victoria on Monday.

"The uncertainty around the Coalition’s energy policy is undoubtedly the driver of this price spike," University of Melbourne energy expert Dylan McConnell said.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Thought this was worth posting:

On The Triumph of Fear, Loathing and Selfishness

The Coalition’s victory tonight was wholly unexpected. Scott Morrison’s unwelcome surprise success will no doubt be dissected ad nauseum by the media commentariat in the coming weeks. I propose we start this torrid business as soon as possible. This piece will attempt to do so by considering the archetypal Liberal voter from an anthropological perspective.

There’s a certain kind of mediocre, thoughtless, brain-dead middle-class Australian voter that consistently holds our nation back. They live in a heavily mortgaged McMansion out in the suburbs in a world of urban sprawl. This voter has a very limited grasp of our constitutional system and is thus easily swayed by undue attempts to turn elections to our House of Representatives into presidential style campaigns. This voter is profoundly selfish, willing to # almost anything and everything – the environment, the poor, the voiceless, etc – in return for tax cuts for their bosses. Hoping as hyenas do to be able to feast on the scraps of the main course meal, they are willing to trade their vote to the boss class in the hope that some crumb of the wealth of the mining magnates and economic rentiers that rule our country will eventually trickle down to them. In a way, this voter is really quite pathetic. We can have sympathy for them as we have sympathy for non-playable characters in video games, doomed to forever repeat the same scripted stock lines unto death. It probably is quite hard making it through life without any kind of internal dialogue or capacity for critical self-reflection. But the selfishness and hatred of this voter has very real consequences for the rest of us, and so they are a justified target for our criticism and contempt.

Scott Morrison is the masturbatory fantasy of this mediocre, middling voter. He can’t be accused of intellectual snobbery – with a “Fair Dinkum” campaign based on such uninspiring, nonsensical platitudes as “It is my vision for this country as your Prime Minister to keep the Promise of Australia to all Australians,” he speaks right to the low level of these people. As a former ad man and snake oil salesman that struck it rich working in an industry as fundamentally unproductive as public relations, he symbolizes all that the mediocre middle-class craves – success within a managed world of greed, hedonism and overconsumption that has no relationship to the actual needs of real human beings. The mediocre middle-class voter recognizes the fact that we live in a dystopia – they just think it is rather quite bearable. Taking the kids to soccer games on the weekend in their gas guzzling SUV fuelled by endless wars in the Middle East, going to the shopping centre to support the consumer economy, engaging in missionary sex in the dark for three minutes a week – this is enough for the middle-class mediocre voter. And consequently, Scott Morrison and the Liberal Party are enough.

The middle-class mediocre voter does not want to rock the boat. Shifty Bill Shorten seems unlikable for some vague reason they can’t quite articulate. When they watch Married At First Sight, or some other similarly vapid, coma-inducing reality television show, the focus-grouped attack commercials that are run during ad breaks show unflattering images of Bill Shorten and say things like: “Bill Shorten, the Bill Australia cannot afford.” They nod sagely to themselves and make a note that Bill Shorten is a bill that Australia (read: their bosses) cannot afford. Later, they see an advertisement on Facebook which mentions something about a tax increase. This immediately triggers in them deeply ingrained evolutionary responses. Just as silverback gorillas will fight to the death over the status conferred by control of resources such as coconuts within the group, the mediocre middle-class voter will fight to the death to defend their relative position in society in relation to the poor and vulnerable. Any increase to their absolute position must be resisted in order to preserve what middling social prestige the mediocre suburban voter enjoys in a society dominated by an aristocratic few. If a couple homeless people have to die sleeping rough on the streets this winter in order to preserve the family’s annual trips to Thredbo, so be it. The middle-class mediocre voter has no notion of the common good. Any abuse, however extreme, is justified in the name of lower taxes.

Through this all, we continue our inexorable march toward a feudal, slave-like future. We continue our long, solemn march towards a hellish climate apocalypse. As the clock runs down on our ability to right these wrongs, to halt rising inequality and ruinous global warming, we sleepwalk into a world of chaos, death and destruction. The mediocre middle-class voter doesn’t mind this, so long as the next couple years entail more of the same. That’s what Scott Morrison offered them. They signed up to this destructive Faustian pact. Shame on them. Australia’s future looks bleak.

edit on 20/5/2019 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

To theqlder's truckload of sour grapes:

Well isn't that a pathetic attempt at sewing seeds of division and discord, something I'd hope could be isolated to a noisy minority in our society. The kind of attitude that creates more problems than solutions. Something more akin to the good natured Holden-Ford rivalry would be more in tune with typical Aussie feeling toward politics.

We, as a nation, should be above that sort of thinking IMHO

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

This time things are different. Anger all around. A One nation ute was set on fire in Tasmania and on the other side of the Coin, Sarah Hanson Young had a suspicious package removed from outside her office. This election has flared something up I've never seen before in this country. Part of the issue from my point of view is palmer. What he did is straight up corrupt! $60-80 million he spent and he now has a government that owe him a favour in the Galilee Basin

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Anyway, looking at the Senate, things could get interesting. These are made up of knows and projections, the counting is still ongoing but based on ABC's count update as of right now:

Coalition 33
One Nation 1
Australian conservatives 1
35 for the right wing.

Labor 26
Greens 9
35 for left wing (meaning left of the other mob lol)

2 centre alliance

1 "other parties" " whoever that is? EDIT: I think "other" is Jaqui Lambie

If that's how it is then its going to be a locked up senate that will require negotiation from the Coalition on everything they try to pass. At least that's one positive. And 9 greens! Thats going to make for an interesting time when they try to get the Adani legislation through.

edit on 20-5-2019 by harold223 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Well good thing THAT never happened lol

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join