It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia About to elect a left wing government

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
a reply to: Rewey

Ouch. Just..........ouch.

The poor bloke.

I know right? Must be nice having so much money that you can drop $850k on a stupid bet...

He must be the sort of person who would have lost that much in new taxes had Labor won anyway!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Pilgrum

The bookies always do better when the outsider wins

Not necessarily. My brother was actually working for sportsbet when Trump won and he reckons they lost millions on that... They were paying 100 to 1.

Anyway, looks like it's inevitably going to be a liberal victory... On the bright side though, at least Abbott got taken out.

I heard that sportsbet had already paid out on a Labor win today, they were so certain. Whoops! Not sure how true that is...

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Pilgrum

The bookies always do better when the outsider wins

... On the bright side though, at least Abbott got taken out.

Love him or hate him, he gave the best speech I've ever heard him give tonight, in conceding. He almost sounded relieved. And he seems to have lost that 'uhh' stutter he has had for years.
edit on 18-5-2019 by Rewey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: Kryties

Yup, see that now.

How was the senate ballot form?

Bloody anti vaccination party??

Yeah there were some very odd senate parties this time around. I noticed the Anti-Vaccination one too and had a bit of a chuckle. It's hard to believe these people exist but they do.

There was one called The Pirate Party on the senate ballot. Not sure what their platform is...

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rewey

There was one called The Pirate Party on the senate ballot. Not sure what their platform is...

They've been around for years now. At least several elections. They run on a digital rights, freedom of information platform.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This election was basically won in Queensland. Vastly different result to the rest of the country. Cut em loose for sure lol

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: harold223

This election was basically won in Queensland. Vastly different result to the rest of the country. Cut em loose for sure lol

I think the cane toads must release something in the air up there to warp their minds.

How do we set up a vote to remove QLD from Australia? They could call themselves "Fraser Palmer" and we could declare war on them and blow them to hell......

OK im done now.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rewey

They've been around for years now. At least several elections. They run on a digital rights, freedom of information platform.

Oh. I was hoping it was actually about pirates, but you're right - that rings a bell now. I must have been confused because the logo was a ship's sail...

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Shorten conceded.

3 more years of chaos, divisiveness, Rupert Murdoch, the dismantling of Australia's poor and disadvantaged, not doing a thing about climate change and treating refugees like they are poison.

Hillsong is in charge now.

Queensland is to blame for this tragedy. You can't fix stupid apparently.

On a side note: I was on the fence about getting into politics. Not any more. Expect me.

edit on 18/5/2019 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Call it Habsburgerland and let it join the other Australia. They could use a little prison colony to ship away a bunch of corrupt politiclowns for good. Amirite?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I’m with you.
AND to be honest, I’m pretty pi$$ed off right now..... Bloody Queenslanders!
Another 3 years of THIS?!?!?
KILL ME NOW.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: harold223

So who won?

Edit: never mind. Maybe the Russians meddled.
edit on 18-5-2019 by TheSteppenwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSteppenwolf

So who won?

A morbidly obese "Russian" named Clive Palmer maybe.

He didn't even win a seat. He spent $80 million trying to buy votes to get himself back into parliament, only to not win a seat and have all his preferences flow to the LNP. Apart from helping them retain power, what did he achieve for himself? Was this his plan all along? Will the LNP now "reciprocate" and allow him to dictate policy?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Shorten conceded.

3 more years of chaos, divisiveness, Rupert Murdoch, the dismantling of Australia's poor and disadvantaged, not doing a thing about climate change and treating refugees like they are poison.

On a side note: I was on the fence about getting into politics. Not any more. Expect me.

I think what it shows is Aussies are still very centrist.

Neither of the extreme left or right sides moved much at all, which is a positive.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Its looking more and more like NZ is going to be my new home.......

Crikey Kryties, that's harsh. What does yer missus think about that?

Kind regards,

bally

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well I'm glad Labour didn't get into power but I don't think we really have as much choice as we like to believe. I still find it surprising how many Australians seem to have this perception that the liberals are a right leaning conservative party who love big corporations and have no concern for the environment. They are pro business but it's more pro small to medium businesses since they are so important to our economy.

However they aren't called the Liberals for no reason, they hold many liberal and progressive ideals. In reality they are much closer to the Democrats than they are to Republicans, but politics in Australia is centered much more to the left so we view the Liberal Party as right leaning whereas they'd probably be considered a left wing party in the U.S. because they do support a considerable amount of traditionally leftist policies.

For example the Morrison government proposed banning "violent videos" as a reactionary response to the Christchurch shooting video. A few months ago there was a ban on "decorative" knives in NSW. Right wing personalities including Lauren Southern and Milo Yiannopoulos have been banned from Australia by the Morrison government. David Icke was also recently banned from entering Australia because apparently his opinions on vaccines and global warming are unacceptable.

They also haven't exactly been the best friend of the big energy companies, they have allowed large coal plants to close and have enacted laws forcing power companies to charge consumers less. They've also done a lot to expand the use of green tech like solar and wind, the Australian Energy Update for 2017 shows a 18% increase in small scale solar power and a 4% drop in coal power in a year.

Meanwhile they've done nothing to promote nuclear energy despite it being the most reliable way to provide consumers with cheap energy. Nuclear energy is cheaper than energy from both coal and gas and we have the worlds largest reserves of Uranium and the most stable continent on Earth. Yet the Liberals choose not to entertain this idea at all due to the nuclear fear mongering and anti-science rhetoric of people on the left, especially from the Greens.

Which is ironic because nuclear power is usually very clean assuming you have a good way to dispose of the waste. But the climate change issue in Australia is for another thread, which I'll be making soon. The point is, anyone who believes that Morrison is anything like Trump is highly misguided with respect to how Australian politics really works. That's why it annoys me so much when I see Labour people acting as if Liberals were these far-right lunatics.

edit on 18/5/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Shorten conceded.

North Queenslander here. Most of the people I know work in the coal industry....so what do you think would happen when you start messing with a blokes livelihood? Oh, and you can fix stupid...just move a 1000 clicks to the north. And BTW I didn't vote as I don't live in Aus...and I detest both parties equally.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Poor Ausies. The kangaroos will have more personal rights than their citizens will have shortly.

By the sound of it Australians don't have much of a choice at all. So Australians don't choose the highest office in their nation... It sounds as if Australia is still the prison it started out to be.

edit on 18-5-2019 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

originally posted by: rickymouse
Poor Ausies. The kangaroos will have more personal rights than their citizens will have shortly.

By the sound of it Australians don't have much of a choice at all. So Australians don't choose the highest office in their nation... It sounds as if Australia is still the prison it started out to be.

A wild animal that lives in a zoo all it's life often doesn't realize how it is to be free.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSteppenwolf

So who won?

A morbidly obese "Russian" named Clive Palmer maybe.

He didn't even win a seat. He spent $80 million trying to buy votes to get himself back into parliament, only to not win a seat and have all his preferences flow to the LNP. Apart from helping them retain power, what did he achieve for himself? Was this his plan all along? Will the LNP now "reciprocate" and allow him to dictate policy?

Palmer got exactly what he wanted. A government in his pocket that owe him a favour for his environmentally unfriendly mining operations he has in the pipeline.

In short, Australia now has a government in the pocket of a mining magnate that owe him a massive favour. The loser this election; Australia's beautiful environment.

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join