It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia About to elect a left wing government

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Certainly not the expected result but it wouldn't inspire me to go moving house :O

At least confident the best candidate for my electorate has been returned soundly regardless of their party affiliations.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

Its not lost yet - Labor could still pull off minority govt but admittedly it's looking dismal.

IF Labor loses (and that's still an "IF") - the silver lining will be that Shorten will step down and give Albo or Plibersek a turn, and they carry FAR less baggage than Shorten did.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Yes the Labor party needs someone at the helm more appealing to the public majority. After the recent chaos of leadership changes on both sides of the house they're wise to have not gone that way prior to this election as the public backlash would have likely been even stronger against them IMHO.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Very strange result, as I always thought was a possibility. One wildcard though. Millions of Australian voted pre-poll, they haven't been counted yet. The polls were wrong by 3%. Could that 3% be hidden in this weird pre-poll votes? We will have to wait and see?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   
As a yank, I find learning about other systems fascinating so I really enjoy this thread

Is there any update on which party is leading?

I gather from posts the results are quite as predicted this far

Is the party leading more or less left wing than anticipated?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
As a yank, I find learning about other systems fascinating so I really enjoy this thread

Things are going very strangely at the moment, the exact opposite of what all pollsters and bookies had predicted. But there are some strange things going on. We may not know who has won this and in what form tonight, or maybe for a couple of days.

The main weird thing about this election is that normally people vote on Election Day. Most people have. This election, several million Australians voted early at pre-poll stations. They haven't been counted yet. This is the first time this has been available like this. The polls are out by 3% and Australian polls are historically very accurate. The bookies were out too. Is there a wildcard result in those pre-polls?

Its likely the conservatives will win in a minority government. They will have to swing deals with independents to form government though. Its till possible Labor could form minority government, or even majority, based on pre-polls if they follow a different trend. Things aren't as cut and dried as it first seems. Lets see what happens lol
edit on 18-5-2019 by harold223 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Its a VERY strange election. It was supposed to be a Labor landslide (Labor is the "left" party) but it appears that the Liberal/National (Right) Coalition will cling to power - despite having botched running the country now for 6 years.

The issue is that we allow people to "pre-poll" vote if they have a valid excuse to not be able to make it on election day. This election unprecedented amounts of people pre-poll voted and that's whats confusing the statistics now.

Here is the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) website that follows the results and is the "go-to" for most Aussies following the count:

www.abc.net.au...

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

To make things confusing for you yanks, our conservative party is called the Liberal Party, and use the blue colour, while our leftist party is Labor, using red.

It's been a bloodbath tonight, to be honest. Polls predicted a maximum 2% preference to the left across the board. Actual results are an 8% swing to the right. One seat had a 17% swing against the incumbent independent towards the right.

Commentators are asking the question whether polls will ever be believed again. Why does that ring a bell???

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Its a VERY strange election. It was supposed to be a Labor landslide (Labor is the "left" party) but it appears that the Liberal/National (Right) Coalition will cling to power - despite having botched running the country now for 6 years.

The issue is that we allow people to "pre-poll" vote if they have a valid excuse to not be able to make it on election day. This election unprecedented amounts of people pre-poll voted and that's whats confusing the statistics now.

Here is the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) website that follows the results and is the "go-to" for most Aussies following the count:

www.abc.net.au...

And none of those pre-poll votes have been counted yet. 4.7 million of them. Will they follow a different pattern. Who knows?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

It looks like the existing government (Liberal-National Party) will be returned which was very unexpected based on recent polls. The Liberal party is right of centre and Labor left of centre but they have been getting closer together progressively over my lifetime. That's unlike the US where the 2 dominant parties are both right leaning but Republican is a bit further to the right compared to the Democrats.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

5 “others” seats...

Must be missing something but I can’t see who those others are, assuming independents?

ETA: Found it, 3 independents, 1 Katter party and 1 Centre Alliance.

Never heard of the last one.

edit on 18/5/19 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Labor got absolutely belted across the state of Queensland, with only 24% of the primary vote. This is a huge surprise because Queensland is mostly a working class state. Labor have been pushing an environmental agenda on the fight against the Adani coal mine. But Queenslanders see it as simply losing a lot of jobs.

One of our former prime ministers made a comment to the effect that the left do well with the climate issue when its a moral issue, but the right does well when it's an economic issue. For Queenslanders, the Adani mine was purely an economic and jobs issue.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

5 “others” seats...

Must be missing something but I can’t see who those others are, assuming independents?

ETA: Found it, 3 independents, 1 Katter party and 1 Centre Alliance.

Never heard of the last one.

Centre Alliance is Nick Xenophon - he just renamed it.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Rewey

I read about a punter today who bet $850,000 on Labor winning today, paying only $1.10. Why would you risk that much money in the hope of only winning $85k??? That money is now lost.

The bookies were paying $6 for a liberal win. Looks like that would have been a good bet...

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Ouch. Just..........ouch.

The poor bloke.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

The bookies always do better when the outsider wins

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum

The bookies always do better when the outsider wins

Not necessarily. My brother was actually working for sportsbet when Trump won and he reckons they lost millions on that... They were paying 100 to 1.

Anyway, looks like it's inevitably going to be a liberal victory... On the bright side though, at least Abbott got taken out.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Yup, see that now.

How was the senate ballot form?

Bloody anti vaccination party??

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Yup, see that now.

How was the senate ballot form?

Bloody anti vaccination party??

Yeah there were some very odd senate parties this time around. I noticed the Anti-Vaccination one too and had a bit of a chuckle. It's hard to believe these people exist but they do.

edit on 18/5/2019 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

On the bright side though, at least Abbott got taken out.

I am over the moon that the Mad Monk got the ass - not so excited about having to look at Potatohead Dutton for the next 3 years though.

Someone posted this on Facebook, I thought it was chuckle-worthy:

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join