It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia About to elect a left wing government

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: harold223

IMO; there is little or no difference between Liberal or Labor and the Greens for that matter. This is why they are the 3 factions of government, all on the same side but which side?

Sometimes the left, sometimes the middle and sometimes the right.

I am often tempted to think that the 3 factions could swap members of parliament between each other and nothing would change.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   

The party political model has outlived its fit for purpose here in the UK.

Urgent and radical reform of both our electoral and parliamentary processes etc are required.....a full system re-boot.

Sound familiar?

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Just when you thought this election couldn't get any weirder, 2 days before the election this happens:

Labor legend Bob Hawke dies aged 89

Labor legend Bob Hawke has died.

The former prime minister died in his Sydney home on Thursday aged 89 - just two days before the May 18 election.

"Today we lost Bob Hawke, a great Australian – many would say the greatest Australian of the post-war era," Mr Hawke's wife Blanche d'Alpuget said in a statement.

"Bob was dearly loved by his family, and so many friends and colleagues. We will miss him.

"The golden bowl is broken."

Mr Hawke's death will rock the final two days of the federal election campaign. The former Labor leader, who was prime minister from 1983 to 1991, on Wednesday wrote an open letter to Australians backing Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to win Saturday's poll.
Related Article
Bob Hawke says Bill Shorten has set out a large policy agenda rather than being a "small target" politician.
Australia votes
Hawke backs Shorten as 'consensus' leader in new open letter

In a statement on Thursday night, Mr Shorten said MR Hawke was a "leader of conviction – and a builder of consensus".

"In Australian history, in Australian politics, there will always be B.H. and A.H: Before Hawke and After Hawke. After Hawke, we were a different country. A kinder, better, bigger and bolder country," Mr Shorten said.

"The Australian people loved Bob Hawke because they knew Bob loved them, this was true to the very end.

No matter what you thought of Bob, I am sure everyone can agree that his era of politics will never be forgotten.

R.I.P. Bob Hawke.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: Metallicus

I'm sorry.

Might want to do your research before claiming to know whats best for people in another country to your own.

Excellent point! Thats my thoughts exactly when aussies and brits tell Americans how we should ban guns.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

originally posted by: Metallicus

I'm sorry.

Might want to do your research before claiming to know whats best for people in another country to your own.

Excellent point! Thats my thoughts exactly when aussies and brits tell Americans how we should ban guns.

Except that Australias restrictions on gun usage, and the subsequent lack of mass murders as a result, could be called by many as having performed "research".

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

We cant tell you what to do. But dont go putting forks in electrical sockets when you buy a new semi automatic rifle either. Just dont. But i cannot stop you

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
came into this thread to be like "left wing government? pshaw more like slighty less right than the other choice" but OP did such a good job of an explainer that i retract that little bit of snide and i hope everyone gets a polling station with a sausage tent [mine didn't last election, ripped off or wat]

also @ dude who says Morrison is popular and everyone's voting for Palmer; ...uhh.. what part of the country are you in? genuine concern here.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder

also @ dude who says Morrison is popular and everyone's voting for Palmer; ...uhh.. what part of the country are you in? genuine concern here.

Probably North Queensland - they are the Palmer/ One Nation nutjobs. Thats why SloMo has been focusing so hard on them during the campaign.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

The party political model has outlived its fit for purpose here in the UK.

Urgent and radical reform of both our electoral and parliamentary processes etc are required.....a full system re-boot.

Sound familiar?

I'm really surprised the UK doesn't have a military style right wing dictatorship. Oh wait a minute, this is the definition of Monarchy.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Just when you thought this election couldn't get any weirder, 2 days before the election this happens:

Labor legend Bob Hawke dies aged 89

Labor legend Bob Hawke has died.

The former prime minister died in his Sydney home on Thursday aged 89 - just two days before the May 18 election.

"Today we lost Bob Hawke, a great Australian – many would say the greatest Australian of the post-war era," Mr Hawke's wife Blanche d'Alpuget said in a statement.

"Bob was dearly loved by his family, and so many friends and colleagues. We will miss him.

"The golden bowl is broken."

Mr Hawke's death will rock the final two days of the federal election campaign. The former Labor leader, who was prime minister from 1983 to 1991, on Wednesday wrote an open letter to Australians backing Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to win Saturday's poll.
Related Article
Bob Hawke says Bill Shorten has set out a large policy agenda rather than being a "small target" politician.
Australia votes
Hawke backs Shorten as 'consensus' leader in new open letter

In a statement on Thursday night, Mr Shorten said MR Hawke was a "leader of conviction – and a builder of consensus".

"In Australian history, in Australian politics, there will always be B.H. and A.H: Before Hawke and After Hawke. After Hawke, we were a different country. A kinder, better, bigger and bolder country," Mr Shorten said.

"The Australian people loved Bob Hawke because they knew Bob loved them, this was true to the very end.

No matter what you thought of Bob, I am sure everyone can agree that his era of politics will never be forgotten.

R.I.P. Bob Hawke.

Yes, Bob Hawk was one of the greats.

Bob Hawk after Australia won the Americas cup telling us that "any boss who sacks a worker for not turning up today is a bum" lol

Bob Hawk sculling a beer. No one could scull better than ol mate Bob.

RIP

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I'm really surprised the UK doesn't have a military style right wing dictatorship. Oh wait a minute, this is the definition of Monarchy.

Now now, don't be so silly and contentious.

We have a constitutional monarchy.

Today, the role of the British monarch is by convention effectively ceremonial.

en.wikipedia.org...

I know its off topic and I apologise for this but I've got to say; people in glass houses and all that.
The military complex has a far greater influence on government in the US than it does in the UK or Australia or any other nation where Liz is the constitutional monarch.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Great job aussies good luck with your poverty and corruption, say goodbye to the middle class it was nice while it lasted.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarfbot
Great job aussies good luck with your poverty and corruption, say goodbye to the middle class it was nice while it lasted.

That's already happened under the current conservative government - hence why they will be thrown out in 2 days.

A new dawn awaits Australia, and I cannot wait to get started.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well, the passing of former prime minister Bob Hawke has completely taken over the headlines in Australia and will dominate beyond polling day. He was arguably Australia's favourite Prime minister. He was a true character, you could say about him "they don't make em like that anymore". He was also a Labor prime minister. Sportsbet odds have blown out further tonight after this news broke. Voters will go to the Poll on Saturday with Bob Hawke on their mind. A reminder of simpler times. This will definitely swing some undecided voters towards labor.
edit on 16-5-2019 by harold223 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: harold223
Well, the passing of former prime minister Bob Hawke has completely taken over the headlines in Australia and will dominate beyond polling day. He was arguably Australia's favourite Prime minister. He was a true character, you could say about him "they don't make em like that anymore". He was also a Labor prime minister. Sportsbet odds have blown out further tonight after this news broke. Voters will go to the Poll on Saturday with Bob Hawke on their mind. A reminder of simpler times. This will definitely swing some undecided voters towards labor.

I'm thinking the same thing. Bob may just have given Labor his last gift.

Bob Hawkes death may just decide this election for us.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: sunkuong
a reply to: rickymouse

And so they should. What makes you think so? My personal liberties dont seem particularly eroded or infringed upon

Oh, so you are a kangaroo?

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: sunkuong
a reply to: rickymouse

And so they should. What makes you think so? My personal liberties dont seem particularly eroded or infringed upon

Oh, so you are a kangaroo?

No, you're just wrong.

Not surprising, really, given you are not Australian and clearly have very little knowledge about our politics.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Oh thank God! Now we don't have to worry about this made up climate change, Australia is going to "fix" it!!

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

A system that f*ing damned complicated would never work in the US. In fact it would be considered voter intimidation and managed disenfranchisement. Hell, they havent even figured out how to count votes in Florida, much less rank them.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Whoo Hoo, good point. Lets send AOC to Aussie land so she can learn how its done. Hopefully they can put her up in an apartment without a kitchen sink disposal. She is scared crapless of those things.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join