It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia About to elect a left wing government

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: harold223

Thanks for explaining that system to me. Nothing is perfect. I't seems they have laid out so many variables that any outcome can be explained away due to it's complicity.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Appreciate the info..I'll read into it

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: harold223
Whilst we do have compulsory voter turnout, its made up for with the democracy sausage.

en.wikipedia.org...

Most polling stations have a sausage sizzle going so you can get a cheap sausage and bread. It's usually run by a local community group as a fundraiser. Some sell cupcakes and in my area, the Vietnamese community usually home made spring rolls.

Ah, civic responsibility. With tomato sauce and onions, ta!

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Who let the elderly in!! Thanks for the nightmares folks. Shi#

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Labor, which has lost the last two elections in 2013 and 2016, has promised to match the government’s 2019-20 surplus and then deliver a bigger surplus in 2020-21. 

Is this just shoddy reporting; or is this really what is driving the election?

I mean ... you know... if you vote for me I promise to not only match the government's 2019-20 surplus, but I plan to deliver an even BIGGER surplus in 2020-21.

---‐-----------

Good luck with your election

I wouldn't read too much into that, no-one really believes that stuff. What is really the issue in this election is that the ruling liberal-national coalition have been in the midst of an internal war between the hard right conservatives and the centre right moderates and have knifed sitting Prime ministers over it. Its been going on for years and has torn them apart. Several high profile and well liked politicians have jumped ship and just quit politics. I think that is really what's driving how people are going to vote.

In Australia, we tend to Vote Governments out rather than vote oppositions in.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I hear China wants to be your fren, lulz.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Whilst we do have compulsory voter turnout, its made up for with the democracy sausage.

en.wikipedia.org...

Most polling stations have a sausage sizzle going so you can get a cheap sausage and bread. It's usually run by a local community group as a fundraiser. Some sell cupcakes and in my area, the Vietnamese community usually home made spring rolls.

I'd rather go to Bunnings and get a snag there, than meander through the parasites who accost you as you begrudgingly head on into that festering den of unwashed miscreants, all the while watching over my 80 year old mum who has to navigate with a walking frame amongst the foulest of heathens..

At least I can pick up something worth while at Bunnings... :/

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

I buy all my electronical gadgetry from ali express, I'll thank you very much.

dun be raysis.

O.o

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I'm sorry.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

originally posted by: Lysergic

I buy all my electronical gadgetry from ali express, I'll thank you very much.

dun be raysis.

O.o

I hear their 5G is amazeballs.

^_^

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The illusion of democracy. The right to vote with no viable options to vote for.

Apart from Labour’s affiliation with unions and championing of workers rights occasionally I really see little difference between not them and the Liberals.

They both swing left and right on policy depending on the stage of the election cycle they are in and other factors.

Let’s take the passing of same sex marriage in to law in to consideration. This was don’t by the Liberal’s who are on paper a centre-right party though due to popular demand and falling approval ratings held a referendum and passed it in to law.

I honestly see very little difference between the two.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Tax reform
Inequality
and Climate change

So, the ‘big’ issues?

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:23 AM
link   
For a little more info. I mentioned electorates. Australia is divided into electorates and they exists within states/territories. They are population based. Inner city electorates can be very small in area in the population density is high and rural electorates can be bigger than large European countries in area. They are all about the same population and their boundaries get redrawn from time to time based on population data. Each electorate can elect 1 candidate who will get a seat in parliament.

The senate is state based. Each state gets to elect so many senators based on population. The system is floored a bit in that the more populous states get more senators. This means the power is balanced more towards the populous eastern states. Rural people are underrepresented in parliament generally as well because there are not as many rural electorates.

The voting system in Australia is completely done on paper. There is no electronic voting. All ballot papers are counted in pairs that get get switched up at every break. They both check and count each others ballots. All ballot papers are kept in archives and a recount can be called at any time. Every election in Australian history still has the ballot papers archived.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM
The illusion of democracy. The right to vote with no viable options to vote for.

Apart from Labour’s affiliation with unions and championing of workers rights occasionally I really see little difference between not them and the Liberals.

They both swing left and right on policy depending on the stage of the election cycle they are in and other factors.

Let’s take the passing of same sex marriage in to law in to consideration. This was don’t by the Liberal’s who are on paper a centre-right party though due to popular demand and falling approval ratings held a referendum and passed it in to law.

I honestly see very little difference between the two.

In the past, I would agree with you. This time there is more of an ideological difference between the two than at any time since the 1970's though. Liberal-National are for neo-liberal economics, Labor more Keynesian.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Here are both major contenders final pitch.

Labor leader Bill Shorten has told supporters he wants to "change the nation forever" in his final major speech of the election campaign, vowing to start "from day one" if elected on Saturday.

Speaking at a rally in Sydney on Thursday, Mr Shorten said people should vote Labor so they could look their children and grandchildren "in the eye" on climate change. "This generation of parents ... tell them that we decided to do the responsible thing for the environment," he said.

www.smh.com.au...

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has used his final major speech before election day to warn voters about the risk a Labor government poses to Australia, repeating "now is not the time" a dozen times as he urged voters to reject the opposition's "big-spending, big-taxing" agenda.

Pitching his message to a quiet majority that he believes has "no time for Twitter trolling, sit-in protests or any form of political activity", Mr Morrison promised he "will burn" to deliver Australians' aspirations if re-elected

www.smh.com.au...
edit on 16-5-2019 by harold223 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

No, No onions with that sanger.

This is the sanger.

Bally

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

en.wikipedia.org...

No, No onions with that sanger.

This is the sanger.

Bally

And their on top too, where they should be ;-)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

And so they should. What makes you think so? My personal liberties dont seem particularly eroded or infringed upon

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I'm sorry.

Kevin Rudd is that you...

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I'm sorry.

Why? They are a whole lot better than the current conservative government which has churned through 3 Prime Ministers and has brought ZERO policies to this election. Their only promise is "more of the same".

For anyone who is interested in the history of the Liberal/National Party (Conservatives) in Australia, look no further than former Prime Minster Robert Menzies explanation for the existence of the Liberal Party - being to oppose Labor. Not offer policies, not actually GOVERN the country, but simply to oppose Labor. It perfectly explains why they have no policies at this election and have spent the entire campaign doing nothing but attack Labor's numerous policies.

Might want to do your research before claiming to know whats best for people in another country to your own.

edit on 16/5/2019 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join