It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Judge slams door on Canadian cattle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
An American judge has agreed to postpone opening the American border to Canadian cattle. No cattle have crossed the border in 22 months and the border was due to reopen this coming Monday. The postponing comes as a result of R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America suing the USDA in January of this year claiming that opening the border to Canadian cattle will pose a risk to consumers and cattle producers.

www.thestar.com
Canada's beef producers were stunned today by yet another setback as an American judge agreed to postpone the opening of the U.S. border to live cattle due to continuing fears about mad cow disease.

"It's a disaster for our industry again," feedlot operator Rick Paskal said from Picture Butte, Alta. "This is a black, black day for the livestock industry in North America."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture had planned to reopen the border Monday. No cattle have crossed for almost 22 months.

But following arguments from American livestock interests, U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull granted a temporary court order preventing the move.

R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America sued the USDA in January, seeking to block Canadian cattle and beef imports. The ranchers' group, based in Billings, Mont., contends the plan would pose a risk to consumers and U.S. cattle producers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This isn't at all surprising to me, and I don't blame the American farmers for their actions either. But, at the same time, I'm far from convinced American and Canadian beef are as safe as they are claimed to be, and don't think keeping the border closed or opening it will make a big difference in the long run.

They need to step up testing and monitoring of the contents of animal feed to make sure that BSE does not enter the animal food chain or our food chain.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I tell you what I am not convince that we are the only ones in the world that Mad Cow is not running rampant, if Mad Cow has been found on our Elk and Deer, who is to said that is not on our cattle.

The testing on the cattle is not enforce, so as long as the cows don't show symptoms they will not do anything about testing.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
IMO - the long run is long past. Canadian AND American cattle are riddled with it. Deer and elk do NOT respect boundaries and this stuff spreads in a lot more than contaminated feed.

This is not about Mad Cow - it's about trade, immigration and harmonization of continental security. Negotiations hardball: introducing NAFTA super-sized and NORTHCOM. Just another squeeze play.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
that right get those higher meat prices in before you have sell lower.go montana go.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
This is not about Mad Cow - it's about trade, immigration and harmonization of continental security. Negotiations hardball: introducing NAFTA super-sized and NORTHCOM. Just another squeeze play.

Can you elaborate, soficrow?

Thanks

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hey Parr...

I'm not surprised at all by this...remember a few weeks ago we discussed and I said I thought it was a trade off for signing up for missile defence...

Draw your own conclusions...

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Originally posted by soficrow

Can you elaborate, soficrow?

Thanks

With or without Mad Cow, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) mandates free trade between Canada and the USA for everything, including beef. Stopping Canadian beef imports breaks NAFTA rules - and effectively stalls the agreement's planned expansion.

Here's the overview: what's really happening, how it all works together - and why our governments don't want anyone to know what's going on behind the scenes.

In the USA, the Patriot Act works in concert with NAFTA and NORTHCOM. NAFTA and NORTHCOM are "continental" plans - and create a kind of "over-government" that applies to all of North America. The Patriot Act is the "open door" allowing the security component of these plans to be implemented in the USA.

Patriot Act II

NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. In its original form, this agreement broke through the traditional boundaries and redefined 'trade' - for the first time, information and services were defined as trade items and controlled by trade laws created and written by international corporations. By NAFTA's terms, our governments must negotiate directly with corporations, and the corporations are calling the shots.

NAFTA is about to be expanded - the expansion was scheduled as part of the original agreement. The original NAFTA agreement demanded a "harmonization" of laws and regulations in the USA, Canada and Mexico - meaning that each country's laws had to be modified and made the same so as not to interfere with business or cut into profits. For example, immigration and security will be defined as trade items under the new NAFTA. The final harmonization deadline is coming up.

Before the "leftist takeover" of South America, NAFTA's architects were planning to create the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and expand NAFTA over the whole northern hemisphere. Now the focus is on North America and finalizing the last stages of all the agreements, negotiations and plans. We're in the home stretch right now.

"Combining these two powers into one agreement will give unequalled new rights to the transnational corporations of the hemisphere to compete for and even challenge every publicly funded service of its governments, including health care, education, social security, culture and environmental protection."

NAFTA, GATTS and the Free Trade Area of the Americas

Also see: North American Security and Prosperity

Security v/s Sovereignty: The Evolution of Public Opinion After 9/11 (pdf)

THE FUTURE OF SECURITY AND DEFENCE COOPERATION IN NORTH AMERICA

A Blueprint for NAFTA (pdf)

The Tug-of-War: The Sovereignty/Security Dilemma (pdf)

NORTHCOM is the US military command for North America. In the event of any national emergency - like an epidemic or terrorist attack - NORTHCOM will assume military command over all US agencies like FEMA and the FBI, plus civil authorities and policing. Under emergency conditions, NORTHCOM's first priority likely will be to ensure NAFTA's continued smooth functioning - to protect international corporations operating in North America.

NORTHCOM. U.S. Northern Command – new combatant command assigned to defend the United States and support military assistance to civil authorities.

www.defenselink.mil...

"On April 17, 2002, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld announced the formation of the Northern Command, or NorthCom...

Secretary Rumsfeld stated that NorthCom will "…help the department better deal with natural disasters, attacks on U.S. soil, or other civil difficulties. It will provide for a more coordinated military support to civil authorities such as FBI, FEMA and state and local governments." "

www.ccc.nps.navy.mil...

The Patriot Act "harmonizes" US civil liberties downward to be in line with Mexico's. (Canada has her own problems.)

The public rationale for establishing a military police state in North America is "combating the terrorist threat" - and/or dealing with "natural disasters" and "other civil difficulties." Basically, they've covered all the angles.

The current scare-monerging with its focus on international terrorism is a standard diversionary tactic designed to keep America's eyes off the home front. The added benefit is that "the terrorist threat" also can serve as a publicly acceptable reason to implement military command over civil authorities, and establish a police state in the USA.

Legal actions like this one preventing Canadian beef imports into the USA stalls implementation of the "continental over-government" by challenging it on a clause by clause basis. But these are just delaying tactics - they won't stop the agreements because they already are in place, along with the required mechanisms.

...In the words of a famous American, "You ain't seen nothin yet."

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I doubt very much that United Stockgrowers of America are worried about diseased beef crossing the border, they are more worried about their pocketbooks than anything else.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Just a sidenote. These would have been live cattle headed for packing houses. Not only are the ranchers hurting, now the people working in slaughter houses will feel the pinch. The Canadian packing industry will be in full swing by next year and will be able to handle all our live cattle. This is really just another kick in the belly for the American worker. Our ranchers will make it. And our beef is safer, at least we are testing and finding the ifection. The USDA does a terrible job, I know I used to work in the packing industry before I moved.
Peace.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
Hey Parr...

I'm not surprised at all by this...remember a few weeks ago we discussed and I said I thought it was a trade off for signing up for missile defence...

Draw your own conclusions...

Good point, AL, good point....

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the info and links, soficrow.
I'm checking it out

new topics

top topics

join