It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Alabama's Abortion Law May Withstand a SCOTUS Review

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Cross posting this because, several hours, no response.

The only thing that I want to know, is what happens when a couple uses contraception? Multiple forms of contraception in fact. Is married, young, not financially stable. Also when a doctor refuses to perform either tubal ligation or vasectomy due to the age of the couple, because, ya know, they might change their minds one day.

Is abortion an option in that case? When they've done everything they possibly can to prevent a pregnancy, aside from abstinence, because ya know...they're married. Do they raise the child knowing they never wanted it, knowing they're incapable of financially caring for it, or emotionally caring for it for that matter? Do they put the thing up for adoption and deal with the physical, mental, and financial ramifications of that decision? Do they get an abortion, which has its own set of physical, mental, and financial ramifications as well?

I want to know what the one size fits all right answer is to this question.

My opinion on the matter is that tubal ligation or vasectomy should not be considered an elective procedure, and should be 100% covered by insurance. They only discretion a doctor should have over weather he or she performs such surgery is the health of the patient requesting the surgery. Now I know some things have changed in the almost 20 years since this was an issue for me, and I know that some insurance will cover some of the cost, I know mine did when I finally found a doctor who would perform it...not in my 20's when I originally requested it, but in my mid 30's. Will a doctor now perform one on a 21 year old who is married with no children?

Please note that I am not debating on when life begins etc. I have my stance on it, as I'm sure everyone else does. I just want to know what the 100% perfect option for everyone is.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: Justoneman

This bill was drafted in response to the other Democratic bills passed that essentially legalized infanticide so that the SCOTUS can return to the Roe v Wade decision, nothing more.

Which needs to be revisited, in my opinion.

Medical science has advanced since Roe v Wade was put into effect.

So all the screaming by the left (who can't seem to understand simple things like biology) is just that... incoherent screaming.

Let's get the whole issue looked at again and see what comes of it.

A voice of reason and logic.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

One of the key points in Roe was the right to privacy. The court centered around the opinion and the notion of a constitutional right of privacy.

This right of privacy, whether it be founded in the Fourteenth Amendment's concept of personal liberty and restrictions upon state action, as we feel it is, or [...] in the Ninth Amendment's reservation of rights to the people, is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

What this law did, was in short, remove that privacy in the state, putting all of the population of that state at risk. Right now it is abortion, and the only real way to prevent such would be to have all medical records reviewed, those who are pregnant will have no privacy at all, as now the state will be able to go in and check, and if a woman loses that child, now is a criminal and will be held accountable by the law.

It helps your analysis if you actually know what law you are talking about.

This new law specifically does not impose any criminal penalties on any woman for having an abortion. None. Zero. Having an abortion is still legal in Alabama.

Performing an abortion in Alabama is now a felony for any licensed medical professional.

Medical records are already able to be released if there is suspicion that a physician was involved in a crime. Nothing changes there concerning privacy. A woman cannot be held criminally for having an abortion performed. Nothing changes there. All that changes is that a physician, like some drunk guy driving his SUV into a pregnant woman, is criminally liable for causing the death of the unborn child which is not endangering the woman's life.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

This new law specifically does not impose any criminal penalties on any woman for having an abortion. None. Zero. Having an abortion is still legal in Alabama.

Performing an abortion in Alabama is now a felony for any licensed medical professional.

That puts "undue burden" on the women of Alabama, seeking their constitutional right to access safe and affordable abortions.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Sale on the black market.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If the Repubs wanna secure a loss in 2020, this is the path to go down. It's basically handing the Dems an election issue that the overall public sides with them solidly on. I guess it's too late actually. They already went there. Repub women are already dicey on Trump, this certainly wouldn't help that either.
edit on 15-5-2019 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
If the Repubs wanna secure a loss in 2020, this is the path to go down. It's basically handing the Dems an election issue that the overall public sides with them solidly on. I guess it's too late actually. They already went there. Repub women are already dicey on Trump, this certainly wouldn't help that either.

I think the people already are voting R that are voting R and D that are voting D.

Those indies like me are trying to look at this with logic. Killing children AFTER they were born is not going to fly in a lot of states. AL is saying, you can have one but no Dr in AL will be allowed to perform it. Simple, go to FL or TN or wherever and have one.

It is a tough issue the Progressives want us to have, less people any way they can get there. Logic be damned when they want less people any way they can get it.
edit on 15-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I wouldn't let mine go there, either... but for entirely different reasons. If they keep pushing the envelope like this with other issues like crime bills and such, my thoughts on both states may change for the better.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Killing children AFTER they were born is not going to fly in a lot of states.

Of course that's not happening, that's a flat out lie. Nobody is "executing" newborn babies (legally) in the USA.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I been here for years reading post but since I'm from Alabama I figured it time to log in and give my opinion.
I completely support it and so does all but about one person I know here that has given me there opinion.
What do you expect from the Bible belt.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   
What Alabama and Georgia have done is mobilize millions of women for the democrats, they may have been independents, but they aren't anymore. Even conservative women want to control their own bodies with out government intrusion.

What a political disaster for the Republicans! The DNC didn't even have a plan for 2020, now they don't even need one.
edit on 16-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

That puts "undue burden" on the women of Alabama, seeking their constitutional right to access safe and affordable abortions.

What is this burden on society to provide abortion on demand? Is there a similar law that says the state must provide a gun store so I can exercise my right to keep and bear arms?

That is the very purpose of this law, to show just how there can be no right to kill a child. If there is a right to an abortion, then abortions must reasonably be provided. That means there must be doctors who are willing to practice abortion. But some doctors do not want to practice abortions and claim a religious objection to doing so. That means their right to freedom of religion is being violated. If taxpayer money is being used, the same right of citizens with similar concerns is being violated. If there is a right to abortion, then the cost must not be prohibitive. That means taxpayers must provide the funds. No other right enumerated in the Constitution requires anyone to do anything in order for another to exercise the right.

"Abortion rights" are nothing more than "I want to have sex without worrying about consequences." It don't work like that. We tried it in the 60s, with the "free love" movement. It failed then too.

Time to face it; there is no right to abortion, never was. An abortion is a privilege. Always has been.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: okrian

Repub women are already dicey on Trump, this certainly wouldn't help that either.

You might want to lay off that Kool-aid. Alabama is so solidly in the Trump camp, this is not even going to make a blip on the radar. Especially since it was introduced by a woman and signed into law by a woman Governor.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
If you're really against abortion you should go to a really crummy neighborhood in a high crime area where there are a lot of homeless people and hang out there for a while. This is what you want more of?

what on earth does that have to do with the poor decisions in a bad neighborhood. Please tell me you do understand people do not have to live like that it is a choice. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to live like it.
Besides the crummy neighborhood is not where abortions happen those people are usually on welfare and love getting the money from the state to take care of the kids.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Killing children AFTER they were born is not going to fly in a lot of states.

Of course that's not happening, that's a flat out lie. Nobody is "executing" newborn babies (legally) in the USA.

Of course you WISH it to be a lie.

Check out Va and NY.
www.theatlantic.com...

thehill.com...

“Let’s be really clear about what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about fourth trimester abortion, or what anyone in the normal world calls infanticide,” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) said Thursday on the Senate floor after reading Northam’s comments aloud.

edit on 16-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Ben Sasse is an ignorant liar. Doctors and hospital have no more of a policy of executing new born babies than they have policies regarding executing accident victims, or stroke victims, or cancer victims or cardiac victims, etc.

Sometimes, families and doctors have to make the terrible decision to pull the plug on loved ones, or resign themselves to the fact that medical treatments aren't working and surrender to the fact that death is imminent.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Once born, a baby is a baby doesn't matter how its born. The same laws that regulate how a baby is treated applies to all babies that is a federal law. And both federal and NY state law outlaws infantcide.
What is permissible is that parents of any child can decide just how they want their child to leave this world once death is determined to be imminent. Do they want to hold the as the last breath is drawn or do they want to keep them alive as long as possible hooked up to machines and tubes.
I really hate how they have twisted this to fit their agenda when its probably the most heartbreaking decision a parent would ever have to make.

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: BrianFlanders

You get out of life what you put into it. The key there is everyone hits the ground with the same potential as anyone else, but it is up to them to live their life and reach that potential or not.

So, your brilliant solution to the zillions of unwanted people who have no place in this world is to ban abortion and then blame them for their own existence? Just amazing.

You're advocating not even acknowledging the potential and simply killing them before they even have a chance to succeed or fail.

What I am advocating is destroying cancer before it spreads. As I see it.

edit on 16-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I wouldn't be so sure.

Texas wasn't allowed to regulate their clinics by requiring surgical level facilities and admitting privileges at local hospitals. I would think both of those things would fall under the umbrella you mention.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join