It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Alabama's Abortion Law May Withstand a SCOTUS Review

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yes, they would have to go through the procedure, and could not get an abortion.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

The vast majority of homeless in Anchorage are Native Alaskans.

Hence, they exist. And therefore, they were born. Thusly, they're homeless because there are more of them than the world wants. You really cannot wiggle your way out of common sense.

That seems to be a very short step from that sentiment to outright defense of genocide.

And of course you have a better idea, right? Let's hear your brilliant plan for giving every single one of the 7+ billion people on this planet a decent life.

With the additional stipulation that you know if everyone has an ideal living situation, they're going to breed even more and the problem is going to come back. Probably within a generation. And it will just keep getting worse. Because multiplication works that way.

edit on 15-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Lumenari

Medical science has advanced since Roe v Wade was put into effect.

Maybe, but viability is the threshold of balance between the personhood of the woman and the state's interest in the protection of potential life.

SoOo... when pregnant, a woman loses her "personhood?"

She loses her distinct personality?

She loses the status of being a person?

When using the term "viability" in this situation, it should be the viability of the child being born normally.

Which again we have made leaps and bounds in medical science in being able to determine that since 1973.

So let's revisit the ruling.

In a perfect world, the legislative branch should get off of their asses and and get rid the Federal laws anyways.

It should be a state issue, just the same as marriage should be.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I doubt this will even make it to the Supreme Court when it gets knocked down by a lower court, the Robert's court is more about incrementalism and this would be a case with little to no unsettled precedent. There are other laws/cases that they would most likely hear first that would impact Roe v. Wade.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I would venture a guess that even most conservative women want a choice. The GOP doing a happy dance might be a tad premature.

Come election time the abortion debate has never worked in the Republicans favor.
edit on 15-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

You get out of life what you put into it. The key there is everyone hits the ground with the same potential as anyone else, but it is up to them to live their life and reach that potential or not. You're advocating not even acknowledging the potential and simply killing them before they even have a chance to succeed or fail. I may not have a silver bullet idea to fix the problem, but I sure as hell know genocide based on class and, based on your own words, race is not an answer.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   

There is a way around every law.

For instance with this law: okay, nobody performs abortions anymore in Alabama.

Unintended consequence? Smuggling of 'chemo' type drugs to end pregnancy chemically.

Ugly stuff there, but you can be sure the black market will pick up the slack where the legal market ends.

That happens every time....

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

No, but a law taking away her free choice essentially causes her to lose her "personhood."

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I would venture a guess that even most conservative women want a choice. The GOP doing a happy dance might be a tad premature.

Come election time the abortion debate has never worked in the Republicans favor.

"Most," probably, but if I am not mistaken, the AL house sponsor was a female.

In addition, the number of women surrounding Kemp when he signed 481 was a nice supportive photo op.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad

There is a way around every law.

For instance with this law: okay, nobody performs abortions anymore in Alabama.

Unintended consequence? Smuggling of 'chemo' type drugs to end pregnancy chemically.

Ugly stuff there, but you can be sure the black market will pick up the slack where the legal market ends.

That happens every time....

True...

and when some politicians daughter dies from a self administered abortion attempt ala a Lysol douche, they might reconsider their decision...

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

not anti abortion at all mind you, but of those 7 billion china and india being the two largest nations abortion is legal in india up to 20 weeks (and after with extra rules) and legal in china as long as your not doing it just to kill a healthy girl baby. china has roughly 1.3 billion same for india so thats 2.6 of those 7 billion plus baring alabama and ga new laws abortion is legal in usa so that takes the number up to 2.9ish perhaps even 3. so roughtly half the worlds populations

it is illegal in indonesia and pakistan but they do the back alley ones those two combined are 475 million ish(ballparking it here as i hate math so thats half a billion that ban it.

abortion is legal in brazil the 6th most populous nation so that takes us to 3.2 billion of the 7 that can have them

abortion is bannedish in nigeria and they are #7 on the list so that takes it up to 678ish million that cant (baring protecting the mother which is legal there)
bangladesh is the same at number 8 and that brings the number who cant up to 814ish million that cant

abortion is legal (before 12 weeks) in russia so that takes the total up to 3.4ish billion that can have them

mexicos laws are a hodgepodge so ill just split the population in half so pro abortion number would then be 3.5ish to anti 914million ish

japan at number 11 is much more strict baring saving the life of the mother or econmic hardships so ill put them in the "anti" cattergory" and that brings anti number up to about a billion

Philippines bans it and criminalizes it mostly so that takes number to 1.1 billion

while abortions are illegal on paper in egypt they are quite common (less strict then japan) so 3.6 for legal abortions vs 1.1 for illegal

Ethiopia has it legalized mostly now so 3.7 for legal ones

Vietnam at 14 has some of the most open laws on abortions in the world so that takes it to 3.8 for legal

Democratic republic of congo has legal abortions now so 3.9 perhaps even 4.0 billion as ive been rounding my numbers thats over half the world that has access to legal abortions

germany as of 2019 finally has legal abortions(they got rid of the old nazi law) so now 4.1 billion for

Iran of all nations has expanded its abortion critieria and is much more friendly to such things now so roughly 4.2 billion for legal

abortion is legal in turky so close to 4.3

same for france so 4.4ish

add in thailand UK and italy and that number goes to 4.6 billion

south africa any one over 13 can get an abortion no questions asked so 4.65 billion

Tanzinia is legal so 4.7 billion

myanmar is mostly illegal but they still happen 1.15 for illegal

kenya illegal unless health of mother is at stake so 1.2 for against

south korea has it illegal on paper but jsut struck down a law legilizing it so thats 4.74 for legal

in Colombia its legal for health reasons,incest rape etc but not just for choice so ill put them in illegal cattergory so 1.23

abortion in spain is legal so 4.78 for legal etc i could go on but more then half the worlds populations DO have access to legal if not always safe abortions(some of the african countries dont have the best health care facilities) so using the worlds population as a reason it should be defacto legal kind of allready does happen

en.wikipedia.org... source for world population numbers

TLDR more then half the world can access abortions even with Georgia and Alabamans recent laws and even some islamic nations have more liberal laws then you would think japan did surprise me though but they have a dwindling population

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

and when some politicians daughter dies from a lysol douche, they might reconsider their decision...

That won't happen. Let's be rational here, even I with my staunch anti-abortion positions realizes that politicians operate under a separate set of rules and laws from the rest of us. Their daughters will either be flown out of country/state (likely at tax payer expense) or the law will be bent in their cases to ensure they can do as they wish. That's bread and butter of every politician, from the right side to the left side (example being Dianne Feinstein packing a CCW since Harvey Milk's assassination despite being fervently in favor of outlawing firearm possession among we pleebs of the country.)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

What I find ironic is that the Jews [Gods chosen people] have such liberal abortion laws...

www.timesofisrael.com...

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I make no secret my feels on the subject.

With the signing of the bill, I hope this moves forward to the Supreme Court.

On a personal note, those screaming the loudest might be in the minority. Us "regular" folk really think abortion is a nasty business.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

No, but a law taking away her free choice essentially causes her to lose her "personhood."

She made her choice when having sex that could possibly get her pregnant.

The left always forgets that part... abortions are for the most part merely a do-over when a person has made a bad choice.

The do-over includes killing a potential life.

Now I myself am pro-choice... have had kids and have had abortions.

What I don't like the the left's mentality that having an abortion is merely getting rid of a clump of cells.

You are killing a potential person.

I think you should have the right to make that choice...

However I also think you need to be taught EXACTLY what choice you are making.

And that is something that the left has entirely failed to do.

Because... support of relative morality.

See my signature.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

and when some politicians daughter dies from a lysol douche, they might reconsider their decision...

That won't happen. Let's be rational here, even I with my staunch anti-abortion positions realizes that politicians operate under a separate set of rules and laws from the rest of us. Their daughters will either be flown out of country/state (likely at tax payer expense) or the law will be bent in their cases to ensure they can do as they wish. That's bread and butter of every politician, from the right side to the left side (example being Dianne Feinstein packing a CCW since Harvey Milk's assassination despite being fervently in favor of outlawing firearm possession among we pleebs of the country.)

or commits suicide because she was so ashamed to tell her right wing parents about being pregnant.

I'll bet the University of Alabama will become a mostly male school. lol and the big corps will decide to put their headquarters or mfg plants elsewhere. It's already happening in Georgia...

You reap what you sow....

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I think you're sowing ridiculous overreactions there.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

I think you're sowing ridiculous overreactions there.

Perhaps, but if I had a daughter, I wouldn't let her go to college in a ****hole state where she would be a 2nd class citizen.

And I certainly wouldn't do business there. or Georgia...

www.usnews.com...

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Of course not, at least she shouldn't. But, the fertilized doesn't magically gain personhood either. Personhood, legally, is granted upon birth.

When using the term "viability" in this situation, it should be the viability of the child being born normally.

Viability is the legal term applied to a fetus that is mature and healthy enough to survive outside of the womb, albeit with extreme medical intervention. Viability is legal placemark in the life cycle where the state's interest in protecting the potential life of the fetus overrides a woman's choice to terminate her pregnancy.

This is the legal reality created by Roe V Wade. I'm not sure what part you're unhappy with or want to revisit.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join