It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Senate passes nation’s most restrictive abortion ban

page: 24
<< 21  22  23   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Legislators say a lot of stoopid things. One said a woman could still get an abortion if she didn't know she was pregnant.

People say a lot of stoopid things. Someone else suggested that a woman should be allowed to get more than one abortion as long as it was during the first trimester.

Just because people say stoopid it does not follow that they should be listened to. AOC says stoopid all the time! Pelosi has made a career saying stoopid. Hank Thompson thinks too many soldiers will capsize an island. I could go on all day with examples form Democrats, Republicans, Independents... I actually heard one pundit a few years back addressing the high cost of filling up your gas tank. Her suggestion? Legislate smaller gas tanks!

Day after day you say? Drill into their heads. When does that give time to explain what an std is...

How long do you think it takes to add "and if you don't have sex, you certainly won't get these STDs in the first place"?

Come on, woman... I know you're running low on arguments, but think!

TheRedneck

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

But aren't they saying about the same thing when the say that birth control pills do not protect against stds, condoms do not provide 100 percent protection, the more people you and your partner have had the bigger the risk that an std will be passed between you, and so on gives a tad bit clearer understanding of why you are telling the that maybe it's better not to rush into things in an irresponsible way?
Come on man, wasn't it you who said knowledge is power? We've grown out of the time when the don't do this because we or God said so and into the time where we are searching for the why living under these rules are the better for us as well as learning that some really didn't serve us at all.
You don't need to tell them the rules a million times. They know what the rules are but we have a natural tendency to challenge and break the rules.
Basically I think we are saying about the same thing we are just disagreeing as to what is being taught. You seem to think that they are providing the encyclopedia of sex with hardly any mention that abstinence is still the much safer choice while I think that it's geared to provide them with enough facts to show why it's the safer choice while providing the knowledge so they can reduce the risks involved since we know that a good many of them are gonna challenge, stretch, and break our rules. Its just what teenagers do. They can't help themselves. We tell them not to drink but they still drink. So we, and a million ads and stories of people killed by drunks driving cars tell them not to drive drink
and yet far too many still throw their lives away. You can't say they weren't told, you can't say we didn't warn them. All you can do is accept that they are growing up, claiming their independence, and yes making mistake. And be ready to help them pick up the pieces when they make those big mistakes and turn their lemons into lemonade.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 02:33 AM
link   

But aren't they saying about the same thing...

Maybe, if one looks at it logically and objectively. There is nothing logical or objective about a bunch of horny teens in a sex ed class. Again, you are trying to look at this from your own perspective. Try looking at it from the perspective of a kid sitting in the class.

You don't need to tell them the rules a million times. They know what the rules are but we have a natural tendency to challenge and break the rules.

No one uses that approach in any other class. Repetition is the key to learning. Repetition takes short term memory and helps to transition it to log-term memory. It's called 'reinforcement.'

According to what you just said, one should be able to show 2nd graders how to add two-digit numbers one time and then forget any homework. They know how to do it... move on, right? Wrong. You show them how, watch them fail, show them how again, and again, and again, then practice, practice, practice some more, and finally, after a couple of weeks of that they know how to add two-digit numbers. Then, unless you want them to forget how, you keep hitting it again intermixed with the rest of the lessons. After a few years of that, they have it down pat (hopefully).

The same process works with any learning. You teach the material, you review the material, you re-review the material, you practice the material, you practice practicing the material, you practice practicing the practicing of the material, then you refer back to the material over and over and over while teaching the next lessons.

Here, again, for some unknown reason, you seem to think that in the matter of sex everything changes. No, it doesn't. Learning is still learning, killing is still killing.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Why do I feel the need to ask you if you've read all of my reply or just read the first few lines? Oh well we will just continue on.
It seems to me that if we were to take your approach in math we would be spending half the year reviewing elementary addition subtraction multiplication and division in high school and the kids would never come close to calculus.
At what point do you reckon we advance on from the thou shalt not and start providing them with the facts that they will need to know when they do? After they're married and we want to scream at them do do do we want grandkids and need your babies!
edit on 19-5-2019 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Probably because I don't quote a wall of text?

As a certified professional math tutor, I think I know a little about what I'm doing. If you don't do it this way, you'll get kids graduating that can't add, subtract, multiply, or divide. Calculus does little good for them.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23   >>

join