It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Senate passes nation’s most restrictive abortion ban

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: InTheLight

The point still remains that there is no equal and fair representation in the senates of your states.

You know something? You're right.

So let me recant everything I have posted in this thread: I now hope Roe vs. Wade is struck down and we go back to a time when all abortions are illegal. Not because I think it would be a good thing; because I am sick and tired of being told I should be ashamed because I am male. You want women to be the victim? Let's do this!

This way maybe, just maybe, we can climb out of that hell without sacrificing all reason in the process and finally get some serious debate.

Thank you for opening my eyes.

TheRedneck

You know what the real sad part of this is? It's that these arguments make women and their rights out to be fragile things.

Over turing RvW will set women back 100 years? Really? That court ruling is the only thing holding their rights together? And if its over turned they will not be able to hold on to the progress they have made? They won't be able to bring about real, lasting and precision laws on this and many other subjects that affect them?

I guess I don't understand this line of thinking because I have to much respect for women to think they will so easily be brought under foot. I know the women in my life don't need RvW to protect them; they can protect themselves. Maybe my family is funny like that.
edit on 15-5-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

originally posted by: oldcarpy
I think you will find us Brits are not so easily "frazzled", particularly when the whole spoon thing was a joke anyway.

I mean, come on, your country is heading backwards virtually every day, old chap.

Brits are not so easily "frazzled" ... Brit comes on internet to complain how a law that will never be upheld, in a country they are not a citizen of, and in a state they will never visit will set back women's rights by a century ... nope not frazzled at all

What makes you think that people from the UK don't travel? As a rule most people I know are quite cosmopolitan.

Am I as a UK person 'frazzled'? No, I tend to think it's a backwards, misogynistic law that shows how some of the supposed great and the good in some American states have opinions that are antediluvian.

Now, to your point, I may never travel to Bangledesh for all I know - does that mean I shouldn't care about a womans right to choice in that country?

We aren't all that insular.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Well if it is overturned then society will have two deaths on their hands if women are forced to seek illegal abortions.

No, you will. You are the one who changed my mind. Congratulations.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

You really need to give up that logical thinking when the 'A' word is mentioned. It won't work. As long as abortion is legal, men are second-class citizens. So the only possible solution is to make all abortions illegal, overturn Roe vs. Wade, and allow the pain and suffering to continue. Don't believe me? Ask IntoThelight. She knows.

It's a crying shame. No one should have to die unnecessarily... not a woman who suddenly finds herself pregnant without means or desire to be a mother, and not a child who finds itself in the womb of one who has no thought for human life. The whole debate should be capable of resolution without taking such extreme measures, but alas, such is not so. It's time to start over, and this time, we need to make damn sure that men are never considered inferior again.

While we're at it, we need to make damn sure the debate is not framed as purely religious either. As a Christian male, I do not plan on being made inferior in either respect.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Well if it is overturned then society will have two deaths on their hands if women are forced to seek illegal abortions.

No, you will. You are the one who changed my mind. Congratulations.

TheRedneck

I highly doubt your mind is changed.

Are women's constitutional rights not worth the paper they were written on?
edit on 15CDT11America/Chicago002111131 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

And I've been listening and watching for over a decade, both here and abroad. When the little nine year old was found to be pregnantwith twins and her parents and doctors fought in the court's and church saying the pregnancy was a threat to the child I listened to the "oh but she could live", the "oh, how can we be sure the doctors aren't lying?", and on and on from the pro life camp here on ATS and I also took note as the church deciding to excommicate nearly everyone involved in that abortion also and noticed the pos that abuse her to begin with wasn't included. And I did a little research online and that in many of the countries that have these kinds of strict abortion laws young children were forced to deliver babies and it resulted in the deaths of some.
I also noticed women being court ordered into having c sections and at least one of them died because the judge refused to believe the doctor when he said she probably would die from it.
I noticed women being arrested for miscarrying after a car accident And being tried and convicted for miscarrying after falling down the stairs.
I've noticed, I've discussed so many instances on these board of these kinds of stories. And I've listened to the responses from the other side.
Here is my contribution to that reasonable discussion of it ever happens to come up. Your approach to what you are as a problem is wrong!!! You have been misinformed about many things. And if any of these recent laws like this one do happen to get passed the supreme court you will not like the results!!
You need to find at least try to find a way that will result in the least amount if damage not just to the baby but to the mother, to her family, and to the country overall.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If the Governor signs it might be the death of her political career. If she does then it will still not see the light of day until the SC rules. The SC will rule shutting it down and life does back to normal, so in essence all this is is a political statement. I would think they would have better things to do and if this is how it all goes lets hope political careers are ended, but then the people of AL need to vote on that.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I've been trying to keep an open mind whilst keeping up with these threads related to the proposed new abortion law in Alabama.

I'll get my personal feelings on the subject out the way;
I believe a woman has the right to choose.
Perhaps the cut-off point during a pregnancy may be set too late in some places, I'm no real expert on it.
That's about it.

Some of the viewpoints expressed in these threads are archaic.
They wouldn't be out of place in some of the more extreme Islamic nations here on earth or from biblical and medieval times when religion dictated everything about a person's life.

What has surprised me a little bit has been the number of self-labelled staunch libertarians who support this law.
Don't they see the blatant contradiction?

Just my personal thoughts on the matter, irrelevant that they are.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Theres no constitutional right to kill your child.

I swear the logic gaps with some people is literally mind numbing.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

According to the Supreme Court, abortion is protected by the Constitution.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
If the Governor signs it might be the death of her political career. If she does then it will still not see the light of day until the SC rules. The SC will rule shutting it down and life does back to normal, so in essence all this is is a political statement. I would think they would have better things to do and if this is how it all goes lets hope political careers are ended, but then the people of AL need to vote on that.

Kay Ivey puts faith first, so she will sign it.

yellowhammernews.com...

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry

Theres no constitutional right to kill your child.

I swear the logic gaps with some people is literally mind numbing.

So true.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Are my Constitutional rights not worth the paper they are written on?

If allowing abortion to be legal invalidates my rights, I am against abortion in any circumstance. Why is that so hard to understand?

You won! You should be happy you changed my mind, not in denial over it.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Are my Constitutional rights not worth the paper they are written on?

If allowing abortion to be legal invalidates my rights, I am against abortion in any circumstance. Why is that so hard to understand?

You won! You should be happy you changed my mind, not in denial over it.

TheRedneck

Nobody wins here.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

There was never a time where abortion was completely illegal in all of the United States. Roe V Wade codified abortion nationally, leaning heavily on the 14th Amendment.

REPEAL ROE vs. WADE!

Roe V Wade isn't broken. What's your beef with Roe V Wade, exactly?
What's your beef with the 14th Amendment?

edit on 15-5-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
When women gained the right to vote, government intervened and laws were put into place to ensure that women had the right to vote.

When civil rights laws were passed, (that's right, more laws by government) it meant more freedoms, rights and liberties for minorities.

Me, personally, I see making more laws to recognize the individual human rights of the unborn as just as important.

It's something I believe strongly about.

I've been reading this thread and not really commenting because I can and often am an abrasive asshole.

But I wanted to put it into context. At least, context on how I see it.

Obviously others feel different.
edit on 15-5-2019 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Nobody wins here.

Of course not.

You framed the debate as either your rights or my rights, winner take all. Did you really expect there to be a winner in that type of contest?

But you did change my mind... so there's that. You can consider that a win.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

What's your beef with Roe V Wade, exactly?

The fact that I have no rights if it stands. According to some, anyway, including InTheLight. It's her rights or my rights, winner take all.

I choose my rights if those are the choices.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
When women gained the right to vote, government intervened and laws were put into place to ensure that women had the right to vote.

When civil rights laws were passed, (that's right, more laws by government) it meant more freedoms, rights and liberties for minorities.

Me, personally, is see making more laws to recognize the individual human rights of the unborn as just as important.

It's something I believe strongly about.

I've been reading this thread and not really commenting because I can and often am an abrasive asshole.

But I wanted to put it into context. At least, context on how I see it.

Obviously others feel different.

It's the same problem with putting religious rights over others' rights in certain situations, e.g. 'no cake for you'.

I think government and the medical community needs to come up with alternatives for women so the unborn can gestate within an artificial uterus. Why isn't anyone talking about this?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

You really need to give up that logical thinking when the 'A' word is mentioned. It won't work. As long as abortion is legal, men are second-class citizens. So the only possible solution is to make all abortions illegal, overturn Roe vs. Wade, and allow the pain and suffering to continue. Don't believe me? Ask IntoThelight. She knows.

It's a crying shame. No one should have to die unnecessarily... not a woman who suddenly finds herself pregnant without means or desire to be a mother, and not a child who finds itself in the womb of one who has no thought for human life. The whole debate should be capable of resolution without taking such extreme measures, but alas, such is not so. It's time to start over, and this time, we need to make damn sure that men are never considered inferior again.

While we're at it, we need to make damn sure the debate is not framed as purely religious either. As a Christian male, I do not plan on being made inferior in either respect.

TheRedneck

You have two apposing forces one being a fetus and the other a mother who does not want a child, so how do you come to a acceptable resolution that all can agree to in this?

When we look at abortions 26% happen before 6 weeks and 61% is between 6 and 12 weeks with most after 12 weeks are due to complications of some kind, so there really seems to be a reasonable point of growing cells and a fully developed human to find a middle ground.

As to the inferior male part we do not have a say either way, but still feel the repercussion either way. It seems to me that if either parent elects to keep the child then that parent also accepts the responsibility of the child. The parent that elects to not keep the child is also not held legally responsible/liable for the child either. In this way both parents have a say either way to determine what they want and what they are willing to accept as responsibility.

edit on 15-5-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join