It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Senate passes nation’s most restrictive abortion ban

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

As sad as it is, there is a place for abortion, but using it for birth control is not that place.

I feel like society has so placed sex on a pedestal that it's sort of become god in a lot of ways. The problem it has is that nothing can separate sex from its actual biological function no matter how hard we want it to happen. Sex makes babies no matter how careful you are.

They don't like restrictions on anything that interferes with their god in any way - not babies, not birth control, not abortion, not even the idea of exercising simple self control. And that's really sort of what it comes down to. People don't want to go back to exercising self control again.

Maybe someday someone will invent flawless birth control and we really will have no strings attached safe sex, but until we do that, this problem will always be there - sex makes babies.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Serdgiam

As sad as it is, there is a place for abortion, but using it for birth control is not that place.

I feel like society has so placed sex on a pedestal that it's sort of become god in a lot of ways. The problem it has is that nothing can separate sex from its actual biological function no matter how hard we want it to happen. Sex makes babies no matter how careful you are.

They don't like restrictions on anything that interferes with their god in any way - not babies, not birth control, not abortion, not even the idea of exercising simple self control. And that's really sort of what it comes down to. People don't want to go back to exercising self control again.

Maybe someday someone will invent flawless birth control and we really will have no strings attached safe sex, but until we do that, this problem will always be there - sex makes babies.

I dont think thats the problem at all, Its just plain irresponsibility.

STDS are on the rise despite the dangers in many areas, so are pregnancies.

You have hook up apps all over the internet and smart phones.

You now have a worse "hook up" culture then when I was over seas in the war, and its easier NOW to use proper protection to avoid STDs AND pregnancy than it was then!

They just DONT use it.

Its lack of responsibility, lack of accountability, and lack of respect for themselves and everyone else, plain and simple.

All of this is just a symptom of the larger disease.

No One Cares Anymore.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This is a bad law and designed to go forth to try to challenge Roe. However, the question on my mind, is why do so many celebrate the passing of this law, and the loss of a right at the same time?

What is so hard to understand is that the people of the state of Alabama, the same people who decried about the ACA, where one of the main arguments was that it was putting the government interferance of the very private medical decisions, would now find such to be acceptable, and cheer for the loss of a right that they had, and did not realize.

With the passing of this bill, there is the loss of the right of privacy, where the government is now intruding into the area of the medical and will have to check records to where people will have far less, than what they have now.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Which right is bigger?

Right to have privacy or the right of a person to his or her life? Women seeking abortion for their own convenience freely abridge the one on a whim thanks to the other.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

There is no RIGHT to an abortion or to kill someone.

Theres the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, which means as soon as that "bundle of cells" becomes human in form, their rights start where the mothers ends. Right to Life

8 Week old fetus, eyes, nose, five fingers, five toes, two arms, two legs, ears, mouth.

Thats not a volvo, thats not a shoe, thats not a cow, thats not a kitten, thats not a bird, thats a freaking human being.
edit on 15-5-2019 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: olaru12

LOL, not likely. About half of the babies saved will be female. Those grow into women, just so you know.

TheRedneck

But why would they want to go to Univ and live in a state where they are denied rights allowed in other states?

Especially like Alabama rated 2nd to last in the US.

whnt.com...

edit on 15-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

This might be hard for you to believe, but some people actually like living here. Subjective test scores from biased sources notwithstanding.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: TheRedneck

LOL, not likely. About half of the babies saved will be female. Those grow into women, just so you know.

TheRedneck

But why would they want to go to Univ and live in a state where they are denied rights allowed in other states?

Especially like Alabama rated 2nd to last in the US.

whnt.com...

Maybe they arent concerned with getting pregnant and having to have an abortion?

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

Yes there is, on both counts.
Stand your ground!

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Has anyone speculated over the idea that sending something like this to the SC might be a way to open up the discussion and investigate the evidence that planned parenthood were profiting off the dismembered fetuses?

I’ve seen much discussion about all other issues surrounding this, but the fact that this makes the provider of the abortion the felon, leaves the door open for arguments not about the choice of the woman but the motives of the provider, or am I wishful thinking?

Sorry if it’s been brought up in this thread I might’ve skipped a few pages. It went from 9 to 17 pages just since I refreshed. Meant to post this earlier.

Ps. I picked this thread bc it’s not in the mud pit. I don’t like to fight. Just wondered if anyone had the same thought patterns I did.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Stand your ground!

No theres not, please feel free to cite it

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
A very divided country we have, this issue is probably the most divisive.

On its face, this law as of now is blatantly unconstitutional and a direct challenge to the presiding law.

A lower court will certainly knock this down and then what remains is whether the SC will take it up.

They might just leave it to the lower court. But if it gets to the high court, I doubt Chief Justice Roberts lets it go through. He’ll vote with the liberals.

As for myself, I’d never have an abortion for the simple reason I’m a man.

Would I ever allow my wife or daughter to have one; its none of my business.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Stand your ground!

Huh ... who knew that if I decide to "stand my ground," I can simply whip out my gun and shoot any random passers by because stand my ground means I have the right to arbitrarily kill any other person I see fit to.

Not sure that's how it works, Sookie, but you seem to think that abortion gives any woman the right to arbitrarily murder her own offspring up until they exit her body, and some states are trying to ensure she can murder them even after if she stated the intent to murder them prior to their birth.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

How is it unconstitutional as it absolutely does not remove or change right of women to abort. I'd say no standing right off the bat.

Is there a federal mandate says FFL holders must be easily accessible and affordable so I can practice second amendment - is there one says auto dealer must be located nearby and affordable, how about cell phones so I can practice first amendment easier. One could go on and on with examples.

Providers are allowed to have procedures limited by states by precedence of other SC decisions its hard for me to fathom them trashing their existing precedent and opening Pandora's box to all manner of disagreeable matters.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Outpouring of support for Alabama today from across our great nation!

Example: twitter.com...

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry

Stand your ground!

No theres not, please feel free to cite

Stand-your-ground law:
In the United States, a stand-your-ground law (sometimes called "line in the sand" or "no duty to retreat" law) is a law that authorizes an individual to protect and defend their own life and limb against threat or perceived threat.
….
Such a law typically states that an individual has no duty to retreat from any place where they have a lawful right to be[1] (though this varies from state to state) and that they may use any level of force if they reasonably believe the threat rises to the level of being an imminent and immediate threat of serious bodily harm and/or death.
The laws as described in this article are mainly focused on American state legislation adopted since 2005. Prior to that date, states tended to follow English common law which has a stand-your-ground law rooted in the concept of using 'reasonable force' in self-defence.

Stand-your-ground laws in the United States were created to provide a defense in criminal cases. In Dawkins v. State (2011) the court describes "The 'stand your ground' law... provide[s] that a person has a right to expect absolute safety in a place they have a right to be, and may use deadly force to repel an intruder... for a person to be justified in using deadly force, the person must not be 'engaged in unlawful activity"

en.wikipedia.org...

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973),[1] was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a fundamental "right to privacy" that protects a pregnant woman's liberty to choose whether or not to have an abortion, while also ruling that this right is not absolute and must be balanced against the government's interests in protecting women's health and protecting prenatal life.

en.wikipedia.org...

Roe v. Wade grounds constitutional protections for women’s decision wheth­er to end a pregnancy in the Due Process Clauses.1 But in the four decades since Roe, the U.S. Supreme Court has come to recognize the abortion right as an equality right as well as a liberty right.

www.uclalawreview.org...

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

De facto it certainly does. Would the law want women to self-abort and potentially kill themselves?

An analogy:

Alcohol is legal but whoever sells it goes to jail for 100 years. So people make their own and kill themselves. In effect, you've made it illegal...And it's against the law of the land to erect obstacles that make it impossible for a citizen to exercise this constitutional right to imbibe alcohol.

The law of the land is that abortion as of now is a constitutional right. Any law abridging that is unconstitutional and illegal.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There is nothing arbitrary about abortion.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

You didn't read if you still use that. Hypocrite indeed.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yay democracy
Get out and vote

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join