It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALVR... High End VR without RIFT/VIVE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I've mentioned this in a couple of my threads on VR... lately I seem to be somewhat of a VR enthusiast

Though especially since I learned about ALVR!

Air light VR is a program that lets you play high end VR games on the base units such as GearVR or the Oculus GO... apparently it even works on google cardboard IF you really want to go low budget. A good way to try out VR IF you haven't done so yet...

Keep in mind IF You want to use ALVR you do need a decently powerful PC/laptop and a good video card...

Head to this link...

github.com...

Scroll down and follow the instructions to install the latest version... and be sure to have your drivers up to date...

Also you need to install SteamVR in their store to connect... and ALVR from the Oculus store

ALVR runs its own server, and connects wirelessly from your PC/laptop... using this program you can play virtually any Steam based game, though not all of them will be playable... depending on the game and IF you are required to move around the room or just sit. And IF you need two hands things may get a little complicated... but you can connect another controller such as the PS4 move controller... i've heard it works well.

There are also solutions for the 3DoF issue, but im not going to get into that in this thread

Seated games work fantastically!!

Unfortunately this does not work with an iPhone IF you don't have a proper VR headset like the Oculus GO... The GearVR requires a Samsung phone as do most other phone based VR headsets

Thus Far I've played a few great games... and each night I look for the next one that works

Subnautica… works like a dream!! After you fiddle with the controls...

I've heard that "Elite dangerous" works almost perfectly... and I will likely be buying that in the near future

Minecraft VR is surprisingly impressive!! Though the windows version has full VR support... This runs with the original Java version... so no need to go buy Minecraft again IF you want to play it in VR....

You will need to download "Vivecraft" from the steam store for it to work... and I'll let you know VR brings a whole new experience to Minecraft! Its actually pretty terrifying! LOL

War Thunder apparently works really well IF you're into Tanks, planes, and boats in VR... not my thing personally but I plan to at least try it because its a free game.... so why not!

Here is a list of games that have been tested with ALVR....
github.com...

Some work great, some not so much... but the steam library is open to any VR game now that we have programs like ALVR/Riftcat/VRridge…

Virtual reality is becoming easier to access for everyone that wants to jump in... my childhood dreams are a reality!!

Happy Gaming everyone!!
edit on 14-5-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I dont have VR but I got really into Elite Dangerous a couple years ago and built a cockpit chair and got a H.O.T.A.S. I highly recommend that game as it is really incredible even if its graphics are dated. You will have a blast!

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

I've heard it was a lot of fun... But IF you like it that much apparently its so much better in VR

I've heard people say its literally the best VR game... and as I've said, as long as you have a Samsung phone, VR is pretty cheap

Thanks for the recommendation

posted on May, 16 2019 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

edit on 16-5-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

top topics

join