It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can sea level rise 11x more in one area than another over a year?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I was watching something on 60 Minutes AU and they were saying that on one island, which has almost disappeared in the last 40 years, has seen sea level rise 11x more (in the last year) than the global average of 3-4mm over the last year. Now cal me stupid, but when I've been to a pond, lake, ocean or even bathtub, no matter what I do, I've never been able to get the water to rise more in one area than the other, unless I was making a wave or maybe had a high pressure fan blowing down (or sucking up right above one spot) on the water. My dummkopf has always been taught that water seeks it's own level and that is the specific reason why they use water as a form of leveling things (thy think the pyramids might have been leveled using water - imagine if one side was off by 11x the other, and repeat that each level - OOHHH, maybe THAT's the reason for that bent pyramid)

en.wikipedia.org...

So can anyone explain this? How can water rise more on one little island by 11x more than everywhere else in the world, in just one year? Or could it be that the island has been constantly sinking for 40+ years, since it was only ever 13" above sea level (yes just over 1 ft). Maybe the lower it gets, the faster it erodes and it looks like is "sinking" faster. But NO, I'm sure 60 minutes would have told us that if that was the case. Nope, water just doesn't find it's level like it used to. Must be made in China now (J/K!).

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Tidal forces can be pretty complicated systems.

Tide.

+2 more 
posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The island is sinking

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGhoul
or maybe eroding, as many islands tend to.

But yes, tidal forces cause the "level" of water to be much higher around the equator. Another factor could possibly be that the island is very flat as are the areas under water around it, and the small increase covers far more area due to this change.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Yes, but it doesn't effect a lone island while the one 5 miles away isn't suffering the same "rise" in sea level. That's the point. I udnerstand tides and everything that effects the ocean, but what I don't understand is how the media can be so blatantly dishonest, especially a show like 60 minutes, it's gotten as bad as the Star or National Enquirer.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I have searched for a model how the water gets placed, as liquid on a sphere under the forces of gravity and atmosphere and how is that called when the water disappears into space (and there is no atmosphere and the water evapurates away from a planet)? I found nothing.
I believe that's a problem. Besides the problem is even more complicated, if you include all the little windstorm patterns we love, how do they behave when there is just in general a lot of more water in the system? Will it end up in the seas? Or will it get transported inlands?

But this island was probably eroding. R.I.P.

edit on 14-5-2019 by Peeple because: point

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Polar water is colder, equatorial water warmer one expands and one shrinks. Thus sea level can be different measuring from the exact canter of the earth.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The ocean is not much like a bathtub. There are many factors which influence sea levels.

Proximity to the equator has an effect due to the centrifugal "force" induced by Earth's rotation. Local gravity fields (continental masses, glacial masses) attract water to them. Prevailing winds push water. Topography both above and below the surface affects currents which affects sea levels. Water temperature affects sea level because warmer water is "bigger" than cool water.

Also, in some places landmasses are rising while in others they are subsiding.

The ocean is not much like a bathtub.
sealevel.jpl.nasa.gov...

hawaii.pbslearningmedia.org...
edit on 5/14/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Your O.P. poses one of the most intelligent questions I've seen in awhile.

Great job! Starred&Flagged

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Three years ago we started to see an extreme rise in sea level, it got up to 12" higher than it should have been. I lost some soil to the bay. It lasted for a couple of years and was caused by a "lens" of warm water surrounding the islands. Recorded water levels have never been higher here.

It subsided but I have no doubt that the next time it happens it will be more severe, a spike in the trend. Like El Nino. Another round might be starting already, actual tides are consistently a few inches higher than predicted lately. Both higher highs and higher lows.

edit on 5/14/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   

a reply to: Phage

Local gravity fields attract water to them.

Don't worry.... according to TPTB noboby will get hurt during the Geomagnetic pole flip, unless the grid goes down, then there could be chaos in the streets....

Weird magnetism of Earth’s oceans

Earth's Magnetic Pole Is Shifting, Prompting Fears of Global Chaos

edit on 14-5-2019 by ShadowChatter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   

So can anyone explain this?

Yes. The island is subsiding (fancy word for sinking).

You are going to get all kinds of wild theories about how gravity is misbehaving or currents are changing or, a new one for me, warm water is bigger than cold water (it is, but the margin is minuscule). But in the end, none of these hold water (pun intended). What is happening is subsidence, glorified as "sea level rise" by the media to try and convince people that we will all be living under the sea in 12 years (or something to that effect).

What you have been told about water seeking its own level is the truth. Gravitational anomalies can and do exist, but the variation is so tiny I would be amazed if they accounted for a single millimeter of rise. Likewise, water temperatures might make a similar difference. Current changes can cause water swells, but that is not sea level rise; it is a disturbance in sea level, similar to a wave, but on a larger scale. Tidal forces are based on gravitational phenomena from the moon, and unless I missed something, the moon is still where it always has been and hasn't changed its mass.

The thing is, we tend to measure sea level relative to the land. I would estimate 90% of the stories you hear about sea levels rising are due to subsidence. Soil is not completely solid, and as humans build more and more upon the land, the land tends to sink under the weight. Miami is a good example of that. Other areas are naturally subsiding from tectonic forces. But the sea level is not rising, at least not by any appreciable amount. If it ever does, 90+% of the coastlines across the globe will experience it in unison, not a few spots widely scattered.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 04:45 AM
link   

If you haven't done any research I made a post regarding 2 magnetic poles,and a pole shift a few hundred years ago,areas were higher some lower,why cracks in ground the SHTF scenario is set

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Is that you peddling doom again Phage ?!

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   

How can water rise more on one little island by 11x more than everywhere else

Eleven times Zero is still Zero ....

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGhoul
The island is sinking

BINGO!

You got it.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The ocean is not much like a bathtub. There are many factors which influence sea levels.

Proximity to the equator has an effect due to the centrifugal "force" induced by Earth's rotation. Local gravity fields (continental masses, glacial masses) attract water to them. Prevailing winds push water. Topography both above and below the surface affects currents which affects sea levels. Water temperature affects sea level because warmer water is "bigger" than cool water.

Also, in some places landmasses are rising while in others they are subsiding.

The ocean is not much like a bathtub.
sealevel.jpl.nasa.gov...

hawaii.pbslearningmedia.org...

Worth repeating because YOU got it right!

Great post.

ETA
We can at least agree the rising of land and the sinking of land is happening.
edit on 14-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

I have threads where one of the posters on this thread pretends the Magnetic Pole shift won't do much. I claim the water cycle and magma movement being both things that have electromagnetic attraction at the molecular level are being affected. Still tries to deny it. That one might even get excited on this thread and prove a couple of us right again.

Here is one still active that includes Mag pole movement.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 14-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Wind and tidal variation's are noted and always have in different areas even within just a few miles of one another especially when ocean and river estuary current's meat and class.
Subsidence of land both natural and artificial (caused by human activity such as excessive artesian/ground water removal or fracking etc were these types of man made activity's can cause severe ground subsidence).

As for the pyramid's, most especially the expert's believe they are only about 5000 years or so old, I believe but only in the case of the Giza pyramid's that they are a lot older than that and the dream Stele (the one - of three - that survived with half it's text missing anyway) does not relate to building the pyramid's but to renovating them and the sphinx.
The Bent Pyramid however IS only as old as it is claimed to be BY Egyptology and I have no doubt they are correct were that is concerned and contrary to Egyptology explaining it as an earlier model I believe it was actually built a long time after the three at Giza and may be the largest surviving pyramid from Dynastic time's probably built aping the ancient Giza pyramid's which Egyptology claim's were build AFTER it, the standard reason given though remain's the same the builders did not know what they were doing and as they build it got too big and too heavy so started to crack and so they build it shorter than it would have been which also reduced the weight of the final structure.
Egypt is full of pyramid's including some that are currently not properly explained which may once even have rivaled or been larger than the Giza pyramid's.
www.ancient-code.com...
Likely if they did turn out to be real pyramid's and not merely terrain features - perhaps once shaped by human hand's?, then these WOULD turn out be from dynastic Egypt and unlike the Giza construction's and Wyses dodge fake hieroglyphics if there burial chambers are intact these may have a lot of secrets to give up - if they are ever taken seriously and excavated - but if the Giza pyramid's are as old as some including myself believe - later renovated and perhaps even expanded by the Egyptian dynasty's but a lot older than them then there is also a potential that other ancient pyramid's may exist that are not in as fine a state of preservation, were not renovated and have been ignored so just perhaps these might be the real ancient prototypes of the Giza pyramid's and also date from a far earlier and forgotten epoch in human history - just perhaps but I guess we shall never really know despite claim's by many on this site whom think they KNOW when in fact they also do not know they merely believe what they have been told and are in some cases expert's in disciplined built upon a house of card's.

You know the valley of King's has a pyramid shaped mountain, it is believed that this is one reason why it was used by many of the greatest rulers of Egypt as there burial place, but is that pyramid shaped mountain really just a natural formation - they most certainly do occur in nature - or could it too have been a natural feature that may once very long ago have been shaped by intelligent design and shaped by the hand of man or some other race now long gone.
www.walkopedia.net...

Maybe some of those older people's were more intelligent and sophisticated than is accepted today?.
www.themysteryofthecarpathiansphinxmovie.com...

And then you have the just plain weird and really far out spaced beliefs of new age fringe that just maybe if we could get all that tinsel and stupidity out of the way could be very interesting.

And then we have the REALLY unpopular claim's, some love them but other's see them as nothing but hill's with a con artist making claims about them, my gut feeling is that it is somewhere between the two and indeed they are artifacts and real but is everything he has claimed true?.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

There are gravity anomalies in the Indian ocean that I was told about by the captain of a search and rescue ship. He said that in some cases the water level dropped by around 100 feet over an area of 10 sq nautical miles and gradually climbed back up to normal ocean surfaces levels. He said it wasn't like there was a current pulling you towards the centre, it was more like a uniform anomaly. I have no reason to doubt him, he's a very smart man and he has worked on a plane crash I also worked on.

So, don't know if the island is sinking, it's tidal effects or gravity anomalies, but there is general a science based explanation that has nothing to do with the nasty religion of anthropogenic/anthropromorphic climate change.

And for all the AGCC crazies out there, go hug a volcanoe :-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/14.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/14.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join