It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone actually watching the cable news?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I don't have cable anymore since Cable cost too much and nothing is good on TV.

Not even going to bother with TV anymore. Anyone still watching TV news?

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

I haven't had cable for about 5 years.

But even when I did, the last thing I watched was ANY cable news station.

I did watch the major outlets on election night, mainly for laughs(and I was drinking). It was amusing, the "pain" of others who were so intellectually stunted that they had an actual personal meltdown over "orange man bad".

Honestly though I don't think anyone watches that garbage anymore, atleast I hope so. Get news from independents and sit back and watch the major "news"/.gov propaganda networks die.

It's a great turning point for freedom and truth.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

A few people still get their news from cable TV....

www.journalism.org...

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

www.journalism.org...

Usually the older demographic. Which is good because they still vote, in pretty high numbers, but sadly on the money end they are well outside the consumer demo that most shows are looking for.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   

www.journalism.org...

The median wage for editors was about $63,000 per year in 2017, followed by reporters at about $55,000 and photographers at about $48,000.

Seems like kinda crappy wages... is that standard for the industry and only the talking heads get the real money?

The guy that drives around and does haircuts out here out of his van makes more than an editor.

I hire unskilled plant operators for more.

edit on 13-5-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I religiously watch cable news every weekday. But only for 15-20 minutes with about 4-5 minutes on each of the big 4. That is all it takes to see the narratives that are being spun for the day. Yes I despise them all, however seeing and understanding the narratives that are in play arm you much better for what average joe sees when relating to what is going on.

Of note there is a rather odd trend going on in the last year or so on all of them. However that is not here nor there.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

www.journalism.org...

The median wage for editors was about $63,000 per year in 2017, followed by reporters at about $55,000 and photographers at about $48,000.

Seems like kinda crappy wages... is that standard for the industry and only the talking heads get the real money?

The guy that drives around and does haircuts out here out of his van makes more than an editor.

Editing is just a paste and cut job now with the new technology, almost automated. IT people standing in line for that $63k. It's the ad salesmen working on commission that really knock it down. On camera people do very well in large markets. Remember most TV media people work in places like Lubbock Texas and that's why the average is so donk. As an IATSE crew, I'm up to $35 an hr and with overtime on a series, it ads up. I'm at work now 10:O7 pm. Above the line I work on a contractual basis and on the off chance I get a SAG role...$1500 a day with residuals. Netflix just moved their corporate headquarters here...things are looking up. I love this biz.

edit on 13-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   
not in like a #ing decade lol

You got me with that Shock n Awe # I won't lie.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

www.journalism.org...

Editing is just a paste and cut job now with the new technology, almost automated. IT people standing in line for that $63k. It's the ad salesmen working on commission that really knock it down. On camera people do very well in large markets. Remember most media people work in places like Lubbock Texas and that's why the average is so donk. As an IATSE crew, I'm up to $35 an hr and with overtime on a series, it ads up. I'm at work now 10:O7 pm.

OH!!!!

So it's a lot to do with the region as well.

Makes perfect sense and thank you for explaining it for me.

I know nothing about the industry and was wondering.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Only journalist worst than the talking heads are the games urinalists.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Nope. I only get my news from ATS!!!!

http://v=5XcKBmdfpWs
edit on 14-5-2019 by 4891morfih because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Personally, not even a glance.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

No, haven’t had cable in 8 years. $240.00/month is ridiculous.

Have antenna, Hulu, books, newspapers & ATS.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Dish and Direct, switch around for a better deal but NO CABLE NEWS.

Local News is good enough for me. They let the Network slip in that stale hate Trump or hate America crap they do and off to a Movie or Sports, real drama that doesn't involve politics in Football (NFL not so much) , Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field.

I was an athlete while in school but not a good one at the college level, being more of a nerd than an athlete. Basketball was my best chance and I wrestled instead in HS because we had so much talent that some of my friends who didn't play or rode the pine, got College Scholly's walking on and winning one.
edit on 14-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I work second shift now and don't get a chance to watch the evening news on the big three anymore, but when I can I will watch it. The thing is, no matter the network, be it ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS or even BBC, the stories are all the same, often in the same order during a broadcast. PBS deviates a little, but they all cover the same stories and usually have the same "facts". If I were to compare all the network news, I bet it is almost word for word.

It seems obvious that they all get their stories from the same source and never add anything to it or question it. There certainly isn't any independent investigative reporting like there used to be, it's all cookie cutter news and likely coming from the propaganda factory. I'm not sure, but I'd say that the major new sources like AP are either putting out stories that have to get approval from, or actually originate from a government propaganda mill.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Cable news kinda - rural folks don't have cable access, it's all satellite out here. That being said I haven't watched news for more than a decade BUT there are lots of folks "out here" that run FOX or CNN/MSNBC 24/7 and rarely view entertainment programming. Then we have the "ObamaTV" closer-to-town crowd that can get those extra local channel options for free, and I'm not sure what kind of news is available there - MOST folks here won't buy cable/satellite if they can get free TV.

I rely solely on the internet for my news, but I'm a reader not a viewer. I'm able to quickly check multiple echo chambers without having to suffer the insufferable pundits and talking head script readers and their commentary. The more sources for information one can process, the potentially better view one can establish of current events - even when ALL the media outlets propagandize all their content.

ganjoa

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Most editing is crap.

If they actually paid people in print markets to go through and find errors and other things, the quality of the product would go up, but it's blatantly obvious they rely on the ignorance of the readership to cover for them.

I mean when they can't even be bothered to notice when they have one name for a baby in a caption and another for the same kid in the article itself, you know they aren't properly fact checking anything anymore.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I tend to read for my information, but my husband will tend to run the TV for background noise and he always has it on one of the news stations. It drives me nuts.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: olaru12

Most editing is crap.

If they actually paid people in print markets to go through and find errors and other things, the quality of the product would go up, but it's blatantly obvious they rely on the ignorance of the readership to cover for them.

I mean when they can't even be bothered to notice when they have one name for a baby in a caption and another for the same kid in the article itself, you know they aren't properly fact checking anything anymore.

Very true...

I know you are an editor and could/would be an asset in any media production office. Good editors are in short supply here in Tamalewood.
edit on 14-5-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Sometimes.

I have Dish.

It's the only way I can watch "Matlock."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join