It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine joins 43 states in lawsuit against generic drug manufacturers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: lakenheath24
Just goes to show you organized crime is running our government!

I don't think they'd ever run anything like that so inefficiently.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There are a lot of greedy people in this country that would bankrupt people to get ahead. I would not even work for a company like that, but I am sure half the people in this country would jump at the opportunity to make a good wage ripping people off.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem
Oh we do not have to imagine, these crimes occurred during the tenure and administration of former POTUS Obama. I'm going to assume when pressed for questioning, he will defer to "I don't recall".

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
There is something somewhat troubling about this being directed squarely at generics. These generics in spite of some being inflated in cost 8000% are still cheaper than their non-generic counter part. The collusion between generic medications companies to corner markets and inflate the costs though criminal and should be punished says nothing about how this is also protecting non-generic manufacturers who have prices inflated beyond those of the generics.

This makes makes my senses tingle just a bit about who is actually behind this lawsuit, and the reason why so many states are backing it. What was caught is potentially bad, however it gives non-generic manufacturers even more capacity to inflate their prices further. Furthermore, as some have insinuated, insurance companies often will only shell out for non-generics as they make deals with them more regularly as they are already established and protected for 7-8 years before generics can even enter the market. Again this makes my senses tingle about who is really behind these lawsuits.

I'm sure this take will be unpopular, maybe even derided, however I do not trust this in the slightest as the only reason why so many states would jump on the bandwagon so quickly is to protect the insurance companies and their lobbies that practically own state governments.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Read the histoty of generics then. It was set up by the government to create a secondary for drugs whose patent expired. In other words these people dont pay for the r and d.

On a side note i am disappointed in ATS. Here we have a conspiracy so large that enough states to effect a change to the constitution have teamed up and its barely 2 pages of discussion.

This could alter health care....could bring down a 100 BILLION dollar industry. The implications are massive.

Has anyone seen the president or MSM bring thiz up?

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Right, I am aware of this. However the reason for the gap where generics are not allowed to be produced is supposed to allow for a time frame that the R&D costs can be covered, and a competitive advantage gained. However rather than trying to maintain a competitive advantage the companies continue to charge the same amount.

The generics were initially seen as a way to bring the prices down due to competition, yet this never arose due to the meddling of insurance companies only covering certain brands and not covering generics. When this occurred generics saw that and decided that if the brand names can sell for 100x still, we can sell for 80x and make a boat load more money while also undercutting the brand named companies.

There is nothing inherently wrong with maximizing the profits, however what IS wrong is colluding with other generic manufacturers to maintain that large margin. Then while the generics maintain these ridiculous margins, the brand names are also sheltered from ever lowering their prices as well. The fact that the states are going after the generics while completely ignoring the brand named companies is what should be very telling here. The insurance companies favorites, that they build a relationship with during the government enforced monopoly period, are the ones pushing these states to these lawsuits.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Obama actually ran on lower generic drug costs, then made back room deals with them saying as long as they supported Obamacare he'd ensure he did nothing about drug costs. And if they didn't, then he'd go after them.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I don't think anyone wants the generic drug industry taken down, just fixed.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Exactly, but this will take some doing. Very interesting there is no MSM coverage.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Except prices were level until 2006. Explain that? All of a sudden we need an 8000 percent increase? Wasn't that when Obamacare was happening?

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Ahh...here we go...the DOJ is investigating and has issued subpoenas.

nastlaw.com...

"The Department of Justice (“DOJ”) has convened a grand jury in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania to investigate collusion in the industry. This grand jury has issued subpoenas and other requests for information to various generic pharmaceutical manufacturers, including defendants Heritage, Mylan, Sun, Par, Impax, Mayne, Actavis, and Lannett. On December 12 and December 13, 2016, the DOJ filed the first criminal charges stemming from its ongoing investigation".

Anyone with stocks should check those portfolios!!! Gonna go see if this has hit their stocks. Could be a reason for yesterdays selloff? Hidden behind those tariff's maybe?

edit on 14-5-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

The most insidious: albuterol inhalers. Its old medicine that, when we went through HFC mania had to be retooled to use a propellant that wasn't melting glaciers. The government allowed them to repatent the medication so no generics are available, and the formerly $5 medication now costs $150.

Just to breathe.

Around the same time the primary over the counter solution, Primatene, ceased production due to a large factory fire. Meaning that if you like breathing, you will have no option but to pay the $150.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Its a Cabal...like the oil companies...except illegal in this case.

Id like to know what prices would be if insurance companies were banned.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

drug companies use the profit they make to develop new medications, it takes BILLIONS of dollars from conception to consumers lips.

they have a right to make money but there are 100% cases of price gouging but without these manufactures we shouldn't have allot of the medicines that we take for granted.

The FDA has a TON of ex pharma-CEOs in charge and they look out for their own, the whole health care system is broken.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

You are talking about totally different things. Generic makers dont do R and D. And it is illegal.to conspire to fix lrices.

Second..much of the BILLIONS as you put it, are actually subsidised through taxpayers via university research grants.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

so your telling me pfizer doesn't do R&D ?

you clearly don't know what your talking about.

new drugs can cost over 5 billions easy and that's before FDA trials and advertising. Vacinese can cost double that and in both cases they take YEARS to even discover.

Why is it okay for Apple to rake in billions upon billions in profits but not drug manufacturers?

all that being said i think old drugs out of patient should cost how much they cost to make plus maybe 10-15%

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 02:29 AM
link   

You should do some research before you make unsubstsantiated claims.....
Of course big pharma does it own r and d, but have you ever heard of Johns Hopkins?

www.google.com... 2F376574-pharmaceutical-corporations-need-to-stop-free-riding-on-publicly-funded&psig=AOvVaw0EEjQZUZrWoRnkcPuyFuUz&ust=1557991378099926

So you et profit margins do ya? Well done.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

The problem with this is that their research is more about treatment and less about cure.

And lets be honest: humira (as an example) is priced beyond any reasonable ability to pay for it. I take humira, and if i weren't sticking it to my insurance company, would be paying about $35k/month for treatment. And that is all it is....treatment. It isn't a cure, and any beneficial action from it goes away after a week or 2 of non-treatment.

The real kicker: there are only guesses as to why i am on it. It affects TNF-Alpha, but how that fits into my overall disease isn't really known (which is obvious, as Humira isn't really all that helpful for me...it mutes my symptoms, but doesn't mute the misery that comes with the symptoms, like the pain).

When people say "research" i think more like "researching the human body to untangle its chemical processes", and not "stab in the dark until you find a chemical that does something interesting, then try to dose mice with it". One is research, the other is "mad scientist".

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

thankfully for me i have VA/medicare and my rx's cost me like 1 or so and even are sometimes free.

my ritalin RX is almost 90$ pre insurance and it costs me $1 and change.

when i was going thru some serious health issues #60 of 20mg oxycontin AFTER insurance cost well over 100$ but the non name brand costlike 3$.

i don't agree with some of the outrageous costs of medications but i do believe that the firms that make the new medications that are always coming out have the right to recoup their costs in making said pharmaceuticals. That being said 8000% mark up is just ridiculous

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
This single thing could allow affordable healthcare for everone as drugs are probably the biggest cost.

No one gets sick as a result of a 'drug' deficiency.

Pharmaceutical drugs have their place and uses, mostly for temporary treatment of trauma.

But drugs intended to be sold for 'indefinite' long term use should be banned, their long term side effects are far worse than whatever condition they are intended to treat.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join