It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine joins 43 states in lawsuit against generic drug manufacturers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 13 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The expanding lawsuit alleges that Teva Pharmaceuticals and 19 other makers of generic drugs conspired to inflate prices. In some cases, the lawsuit alleges, prices were inflated as much as 1,000 percent.

Generic prescription medications of all varieties were included in those allegations, including some of the most commonly prescribed medications.

“Prescription drug costs create significant financial pressures on individuals

Maine joins 43 states in lawsuit against generic drug manufacturers

I just watched this on 60 minutes and its breaking on a lot of websites. Connecticut has hard evidence that 20 generic drug companies conspired to price fix over 1200 drugs. Some were upped over 8000%. This was shocking to watch. Over 40 stetes have joined this suit....its gonna be yuuuge.

This single thing could allow affordable healthcare for everone as drugs are probably the biggest cost.

Cant wait to see this play out.

ETA...here is the 60 minutes show that I first saw this.....www.google.com... weeping-lawsuit-accuses-top-generic-drug-companies-executives-of-fixing-prices-60-minutes-2019-05-12%2F&psig=AOvVaw1X898c7s9VEk2WqsF5swKi&ust=15578584 86765733

edit on 13-5-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24
I was trying to find the actual docket information on the website of the US district court of Connecticut with no luck. I want to see which six states have not joined on yet.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Just goes to show you organized crime is running our government!

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm not really sure lawsuits are the best way to discourage this kind of behavior. Will probably just end up with a settlement and rerouting so as to have the same end result through a different (and more subtle) means.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Now if only we could go after the insurance companies for allowing the rampant unchecked rise in costs of healthcare across the board.

The whole field is a scam, and insurance made it that way.... so lets punish them and not just the scams they've created.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I will dig a bit. 60 minutes did not say.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

This should be the DOJ filing anti trust. At least the states are doing something. HOWEVER, the caveat being that bring generic drug companies down would hurt the stock market/401k,s so the decision will be bssed on what is more expensive....thats my sarcastic view.

Those companies bring in 100 billion. Thats one hell of a racket.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

True. This started in 2006 so lots of blame to be had. Congress created the grneric beast and, like freddie and fannie, lost control.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

In addition to Connecticut, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Puerto Rico joined the suit.

Source

Perhaps this will be more informative.

Edit add: hmmm...where's California? Texas? South Dakota? Georgia? New Hampshire? Arkansas?

The complaint is the second to be filed in an ongoing, expanding investigation that the Connecticut Office of the Attorney General has referred to as possibly the largest cartel case in the history of the United States. The first complaint, still pending in U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, was filed in 2016 and now includes 18 corporate defendants, two individual defendants, and 15 generic drugs. Two former executives from Heritage Pharmaceuticals, Jeffery Glazer and Jason Malek, have entered into settlement agreements and are cooperating with the Attorneys General working group in that case.

Quoted from the same press release for clarification. Follow the link to look at the list of drugs too.
edit on 5 13 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Insurance companies should be the ones spearheading this.

You know how they hate to lose money.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts
oh wow and you got the entire lawsuit! Thank you, now thats some good investigative research. Cant believe the District court website was trying to force me to register with PACER. I still think it would be a good idea though for future cases.
edit on 5-13-2019 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Good find....thanks. whens the last time all 50 states sued an industry. This is gonna get juicy. Dont see how they have the money to fight this. They have over 19 million documents.....all down to two investigators that happened to see a NY times article.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

They are probably involved. Lord knows what they pay and what we pay for a good/service aint nearly the same.

Surely Congress or the President will be on this. Lets see how the MSM handles it.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I see it missing Georgia, California, Arkansas , South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming. Will they join eventually, or stay out of it?? Perhaps they are sites for manufacturing and held off due to potential job losses?

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Im on the phone and limited data but i am gonna run that list of companies and see. The lawsuit just got filed so will wait and see. Its nowhere on the TV news.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Dumb thing about generic drugs is that the same kind of potency regulations don't apply to them like they do to brand names. The amount of active ingredient in a generic version of Valium, for example, can be up to 30 percent lower than a brand name equivalent and still be legal. Brand names can usually only vary by less than five percent.

So not only are people getting ripped off by higher generic prices, they're probably also getting less actual medicine for the money.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Duck duck Go should be thanked for their search engine. They make it easier to find what you really want to see rather than what google wants you to see.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
I see it missing Georgia, California, Arkansas , South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming. Will they join eventually, or stay out of it?? Perhaps they are sites for manufacturing and held off due to potential job losses?

I missed Wyoming and New Hampshire makes 7 states that have yet to join. Puerto Rico did join too, so those states best get onboard too. This does seem big.

Edit add: Hoping justice is served. I think this is an awesome bipartisan team effort to show that we can unite together to correct wrongs.
edit on 5 13 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I'm not really sure lawsuits are the best way to discourage this kind of behavior. Will probably just end up with a settlement and rerouting so as to have the same end result through a different (and more subtle) means.

I'd agree with you there, lawsuits and settlements are crap. It gets built into the next round of pricing fixes. They should charge them all under RICO, start sending CEO's and board members to jail. Stop screwing around with half measures.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Just goes to show you organized crime is running our government!

Its a good thing we have President Trump at the helm. Can you imagine Obama? He would be supporting BIG DRUG. You can be certain Hillary would have their back as well. They don't care about America, just its money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join