It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French officials say centuries-old inscription on rock is a 'mystery'...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
It's not anything, it's a clever hoax by someone who was into old message carvings. They didn't necessarily intend for it to be a hoax but maybe a hobby art piece. Could've been from any time, which means there's a good chance it predates the internet at least.

The college educated, career experts that do this for a living are stumped. Fox news had a click bait article on it, they're a clearing house for weird, random intriguing # and stories about criminals doing something stupid, going to prison for life etc. Things that warm Republicans hearts.
Think about it.
You do know that "college educated, career experts that do this for a living" are able to tell if the patination has been faked or not, right?

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

It's not anything, it's a clever hoax by someone who was into old message carvings. They didn't necessarily intend for it to be a hoax but maybe a hobby art piece. Could've been from any time, which means there's a good chance it predates the internet at least.

The college educated, career experts that do this for a living are stumped. Fox news had a click bait article on it, they're a clearing house for weird, random intriguing # and stories about criminals doing something stupid, going to prison for life etc. Things that warm Republicans hearts.
Think about it.
You do know that "college educated, career experts that do this for a living" are able to tell if the patination has been faked or not, right?

Fair enough, I never thought about that.

But I digress, what does it really matter? It's an obscure carving by someone in a language similar to others but not enough to translate. No one can translate it. It's importance? None beyond a novelty. Why so much attention on a seemingly pointless discovery? Nothing better for college educated experts in the field to work on, or slim pickings apparently.

No one else can read it, obviously. If it were ever a written language, it didn't catch on apparently. It's historical significance is great because, illiterate carving.

They'll still never get it translated but this made Fox X amount of dollars through advertisement. That's the end result of this search for worldwide help.
edit on 5/12/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Think about it.

Fair enough, I never thought about that.

But I digress, what does it really matter? It's an obscure carving by someone in a language similar to others but not enough to translate. No one can translate it. It's importance? None beyond a novelty. Why so much attention on a seemingly pointless discovery? Nothing better for college educated experts in the field to work on, or slim pickings apparently.

No one else can read it, obviously. If it were ever a written language, it didn't catch on apparently. It's historical significance is great because, illiterate carving.

They'll still never get it translated but this made Fox X amount of dollars through advertisement. That's the end result of this search for worldwide help.

Why are you being so negative here? Really? How about you look at it as a mystery that would be fun to solve. If you are not into that, fine, pass on by the thread. I didn't create this thread for any political or click-bait reason. And, frankly, I take exception to you implying that toward me.

We should be coming together to help solve a real mystery here, on ATS,. we have lost sight of that aspect with all the political bickering. Can we simply set aside a place to put all that aside, and work together without bringing politics into it at all??

We do not need that attitude here....I honestly want us to muster our collective talents here at ATS toward the goal of solving this carving's purpose.

f that is not something you want to do, fine. Please return to the Mud Pit or other political thread.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   
It's the sort of thing we like to see , though there could be a ulterior motive for the publication perhaps directed america sweden but that is pure speculation .

The article says the rock is in Plougastel Daoulas but that is doubtful as we see bare rock and sea samphire growing behind it .Plougastel daoulas is the town in central finistere and that's not by the sea , it's several miles inland .

Finistere is a dangerous location for seafarers in the channel being affected by strong currents to and from the Atlanticocean , and also heavy storms .
So I'd go with whats been said already , saying it's a list of names of wrecked Scandinavians probably carved by a survivor so as to remember who they all were .

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
The article says the rock is in Plougastel Daoulas but that is doubtful as we see bare rock and sea samphire growing behind it .Plougastel daoulas is the town in central finistere and that's not by the sea , it's several miles inland .

My first thought on that comment is that the administrative boundaries of the township might extend to the sea, even if the residences don't. For the purposes of locating something within France, it's reasonable to go by the nearest name on the map.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It is by the sea as I read this bbc article finistere rock.

so not 'in' the town as Fox presents . In fact it's in a cove onlty accessible at low tide .

I was going to add that imo it's a list of names , not necessarily of the usual nordic strains of language , but perhaps islanders or a regional group . By comparison of English and Welsh names , Welsh names are very different , and so if it's names that could be why they're obscure enough to confuse . But they sound like names eg Grio and Eveloh Obbiie and Froik

The AR parts could be prefixes or titles perhaps .

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

When you read it out loud it sounds like a spell, like something ash would chant to waken the necronomicon

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip
My point was that a site by the sea could be within the administrative boundaries of a township, and so qualify as part of that town for the purposes of convenient location. Especially if the authorities of the township were taking the lead in publicising the story. So I think this issue is a bit of a red herring.

P.S. I've just checked my map of west Cornwall, and I notice that the parish of St Buryan extends to the sea, though the village itself is a couple of miles inland. That's a parallel to to the idea I'm trying to put forward. I don't own a map of Brittany, which might help to settle the point.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Surely you don't need a paper map , and the rock itself is
not " in the village of Plougastel Doaulas " , it's on the coast , probably nearer one of the smaller villages / hamlets across the peninsula

The name Finistère derives from the Latin Finis Terræ, meaning end of the earth. In England, a similar area is called Land's End. The Breton name for Finistère, Penn ar Bed, translates as "Head/End of the World" and is similar to the Cornish name for Land's End, Pedn-an-Wlas (Head/End of the country).

The mystery of Plougastel Not far from nearby Anse du Caro, a message is carved on a rock, beginning with "grocar drear diozeevbio", followed on by other writings in an unknown language. The text includes enigmatic drawings, such as a heart linked to a cross, and a sailboat close to the sea. Two numbers on the rock are decryptable: 1786 and 1787.[5]

So it could have the doings of witches' spells or a historical prankster of some kind . A lot of scratched in graffiti with initials and sometimes dates was put in via scratching out soft stone around that time , still showing up on English church walls starting from around the time of the reformation about 1624 . There's plenty of examples from the 1700s and 1800s too

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The place appears to be a "mairie"- that is, a district headed by a mayor.
I googled a map, and the administrative area appears to include a stretch of the sea-coast.
www.google.com...@48.3628191,-4.4261739,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4816b73d6545e98f:0x93b2ed042e2 a8b7a!8m2!3d48.374051!4d-4.369108

QED

edit on 13-5-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

The region is famous for its production of strawberries (gariguette de Plougastel). The New World species of strawberry, Fragaria chiloensis, which had been introduced into France by Amédée-François Frézier (1682–1773), flourished in the marine climate of Plougastel. Gardeners there had observed that this species bore abundant fruit when Fragaria moschata and Fragaria virginiana were planted in alternating rows with it.

Assuming he Frezier didn't only bring back strawberries it could be an original new world language , South American , just with French lettering . They speak Spanish now though so they're dead languages .

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The place appears to be a "mairie"- that is, a district headed by a mayor.
I googled a map, and the administrative area appears to include a stretch of the sea-coast.
www.google.com...@48.3628191,-4.4261739,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4816b73d6545e98f:0x93b2ed042e2 a8b7a!8m2!3d48.374051!4d-4.369108

QED

qed lol .

Not far from nearby Anse du Caro, a message is carved on a rock,

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

We should be coming together to help solve a real mystery here, on ATS,. we have lost sight of that aspect with all the political bickering.

No doubt.. this is -exactly- the sort of thread we need more here on this site. I imagine some enjoy the sort of political mire this board has turned into, but I for one, would welcome a front page that is not 90% mudpit-created political junk.

As far as those saying "so what," (well the one of you), deciphering languages can reveal quite a bit. After all, a third language was the key that unlocked hieroglyphics. And it's cool, and interesting. At least, more interesting than the load of gunk that has been posted in the last couple years or so.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Drink more Ovaline?

Well son of a biscuit, it was an advertisement!

Dorian Version 7.2 today

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
On stand-alone stones like this one, not associated with a temple or anything, the message is usually something equivalent to "Kilroy was here."

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I love ancient graffiti.

Ancient Grafiti

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join