It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French officials say centuries-old inscription on rock is a 'mystery'...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 11 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Here's an ATS challenge. You want to see/read/solve a mystery? Let's put the vast resources of ATS to bear to resolve this inscription. Let's put aside politics, come together, work side-by-side to research this one thing. ATS was/is a mystery and conspiracy site, so, let's do this!

Calling all history buffs: A French village is offering a reward to anyone who can decipher an unusual inscription on a centuries-old rock located on a nearby beach.

Officials in the town of Plougastel in the region of Brittany, which is located in northwest France, are offering about $2,250 if someone can decipher the roughly 20 lines of writing on the rock, which was first discovered a few years back, per the BBC.

The inscription includes a series of capitalized letters, two dates — 1786 and 1787 — and carvings of a boat and a sacred heart, the BBC reported, which noted local experts have hypothesized it may be written in old Breton or Basque.

"This inscription is a mystery and it is for this that we are launching the appeal," Veronique Martin, who is leading the search, said, according to Agence France-Presse.

Source: French officials say centuries-old inscription on rock is a 'mystery,' offer reward to decipher it

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I figured it out....It foretells what final scenes of Endgame.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Article says the inscriptions' dates sync with the periods in time there were active artillery emplacements.

These 20 lines could memorialize fallen soldiers or a significant battle.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The dates are just before the start of the Revolution. No war with England happening at the time (though smuggling between the two coasts was a continual running battle).

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Since it was written in code...it would be a message to 'friend rather than foe.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT
Or just the local language, and so recording something the locals wanted to remember.

edit on 11-5-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The smuggling angle makes sense...since it's coded.
Perhaps also coded as a message to give a password or directions to a secret entrance to the forts.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Drink more Ovaline?

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The carvings of the ship and the sacred heart on a stone on a beach...possibly indicate a memorial to a shipwreck just off the coast.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think I like your earlier suggestion of memorialising the fallen.
"Alas for our fallen comrades X and Y and Z, who were shot by the wicked English customs officers while delivering [see boat image] emergency supplies of brandy to our starving customers on the Cornish coast. Long description of the fatal voyage follows. We pray that Our Lady [see sacred heart image] will bless them and see them safely into heaven."

Actually, having just seen your shipwreck suggestion, that would work as well.

edit on 11-5-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Or, we can really stretch the tin foil hat and suggest the ship and sacred heart may indicate the departure to the new world of the Mervovingian bloodline.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Or, we can really stretch the tin foil hat and suggest the ship and sacred heart may indicate the departure to the new world of the Mervovingian bloodline.

LOL...Actually the very first thought I had.
edit on 11-5-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The more I think about it, the more I think "shipwreck" is right. Not a passing ship, but local fishermen killed and families devastated by more than one accident in what could have been a very stormy winter of 1786/7.
They need to check parish burial records.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The more I think about it, the more I think "shipwreck" is right. Not a passing ship, but local fishermen killed and families devastated by more than one accident in what could have been a very stormy winter of 1786/7.
They need to check parish burial records.

This is the most logical interpretation.

There appears to be a maritime prayer element with the two images.

Bodies from a shipwreck just off the coast, likely would have washed up at this beach.
edit on 11-5-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It says something about a bakery having great bread and also something about some play that the person went to really sucking. It also mentions about the writing being kind of sloppy because the guy was drinking lots of homemade mead.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
ROC AR B... DRE AR GRIO SE EVELOH AR VIRIONES BAOAVEL... R I OBBIIE: BRISBVILAR... FROIK...AL

Se means Himself, herself, itself, themselves in Latin.

And ar is often used to turn words onto Latin for example

column + ‎-ar → ‎columnar

edit on 5/11/19 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
ROC AR B... DRE AR GRIO SE EVELOH AR VIRIONES BAOAVEL... R I OBBIIE: BRISBVILAR... FROIK...AL
Se means Himself, herself, itself, themselves in Latin.
And ar is often used to turn words onto Latin for example
column + ‎-ar → ‎columnar
I got a Nordic vibe out of it. Basque is related to Magyar, and that doesn't seem to be percolating out of that transcription. Great mystery!

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Google translate auto-detect language is recommending Welsh. Not that it has any merit....lol

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alchemst7
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Google translate auto-detect language is recommending Welsh. Not that it has any merit....lol

Any way to check Old or Middle Breton?

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It's not anything, it's a clever hoax by someone who was into old message carvings. They didn't necessarily intend for it to be a hoax but maybe a hobby art piece. Could've been from any time, which means there's a good chance it predates the internet at least.

The college educated, career experts that do this for a living are stumped. Fox news had a click bait article on it, they're a clearing house for weird, random intriguing # and stories about criminals doing something stupid, going to prison for life etc. Things that warm Republicans hearts.

Think about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join