It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invasive species are Australia's number-one extinction threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
phys.org...

Australia has the highest rate of vertebrate mammal extinction in the world, and invasive species are our number one threat.

Cats and foxes have driven 22 native mammals to extinction across central Australia and a new wave of decline – largely from cats – is taking place across northern Australia. Research has estimated 270 more threatened and endangered vertebrates are being affected by invasive species.

shame to lose so much exotic and fascinating wildlife
once something gets established very hard to remove

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Allow unlimited open season on cats and foxes, kill on sight, no permit required and no number quotas...

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATSAlex
Allow unlimited open season on cats and foxes, kill on sight, no permit required and no number quotas...

Any pet cats must be indoor only.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I've spent a lot of time in outback QLD and I've never seen a fox, but the amount of feral cats is insane...some of them the size of dogs.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
I've spent a lot of time in outback QLD and I've never seen a fox, but the amount of feral cats is insane...some of them the size of dogs.

I don't think I've seen a fox in the Northern part of Australia either.

But down here in the south they are everywhere, in plague proportions. Even in Melbourne and surrounding suburbs. There's barely a night when driving home from work at 3.30am that I don't see at least one roaming the streets.

There's just no way they could get rid of them at this stage, imo... Their to well established.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

It would require an active effort. The average person may not like it, so probably won't happen.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Controlled boarders for all living creatures make the country better for all living creatures in an area

It’s amazing how that works

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Rats were overrunning London in the 19th century. Do the same as them (as what's already been said) pay anyone 5 dollars a tail. Give it a couple of years and no problem. But you'll have the dogooders saying "leave the fluffy animals alone".

new topics

top topics

join