It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Bezos Unveils Lunar Lander

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I was a mere 7 months old when Neil Armstrong set foot on the Moon's surface in 1969, and had just received a baby sister in 1972 when the last human, Gene Cernan walked on that distant sphere. I've seen quiet a few discussions on ATS over the years asking why haven't we been back and did we really go? Were some or all of the Apollo landings staged or faked? Are we under quarantine, forbidden to leave Earth's atmosphere by an alien guardian that knows we will only wreak havoc on the rest of the universe if we are allowed out? It's fun to think about...

Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and world's richest man believes his company can help us get back to the Moon. If I had his kind of money this is a project I would consider as well. If there are alien bases on the moon, certainly they need same-day Amazon Prime delivery too, right?

Financial Times Source Article

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has unveiled a plan for a vehicle designed to land on the moon, in what he said was the first step to build colonies for humans in space. Mr Bezos revealed his ambitious plan in Washington on Thursday during a slick hour-long presentation, more akin to an Apple product launch than an announcement by his e-commerce company, Amazon. “It’s time to go back to the moon — this time to stay,” Mr Bezos said with a flourish, as a black curtain dropped behind him to reveal his lunar lander. Mr Bezos, the world’s richest man, has been working quietly on his space plans since founding Blue Origin, his rocket company, in 2000 — two years earlier than fellow billionaire space enthusiast Elon Musk founded SpaceX. Two years ago, Mr Bezos announced he would sell $1bn of his stock in Amazon every year to help fund the company.

edit on 5102019 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Is it just me or he looks slightly non human?

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
IMO, a lunar lander using the old method of an orbiter and a lander and then re-docking is too dangerous and not sustainable.

We need robust space stations around both Earth and the Moon, and then land and take off and dock with them, going from station to station to ferry goods.

I don't know why people are wedded to this dangerous and low percentage method which was thrown together at the last moment back in the 1960s when people suddenly realized that Von Braun's idea of a gigantic all-in-one rocket mission was impossible.

Even Buzz Aldrin said that the most dangerous part of the mission back then was re-docking 6 miles up at 3000+ mph with the lunar orbiter and it had a one-in-25 chance of succeeding (they got lucky 7 times).

Sure, it's easier using modern tracking and computers to do it now but the basic method is just not robust or practical or cost-effective.

If we had robust space stations around the Earth and Moon already NOBODY would be talking about using the old rendezvous method. Period.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: KiwiNite
Is it just me or he looks slightly non human?

He's human, just from an alternate universe.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat
At first glance, I see a big grenade.
The sphere labeled 'Blue Moon' is the bursting charge and the astronauts would be the shrapnel.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Private space missions haven't fared well so far.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick7
IMO, a lunar lander using the old method of an orbiter and a lander and then re-docking is too dangerous and not sustainable.

We need robust space stations around both Earth and the Moon, and then land and take off and dock with them, going from station to station to ferry goods.

I don't know why people are wedded to this dangerous and low percentage method which was thrown together at the last moment back in the 1960s when people suddenly realized that Von Braun's idea of a gigantic all-in-one rocket mission was impossible.

Even Buzz Aldrin said that the most dangerous part of the mission back then was re-docking 6 miles up at 3000+ mph with the lunar orbiter and it had a one-in-25 chance of succeeding (they got lucky 7 times).

Sure, it's easier using modern tracking and computers to do it now but the basic method is just not robust or practical or cost-effective.

If we had robust space stations around the Earth and Moon already NOBODY would be talking about using the old rendezvous method. Period.

Where would you build this lunar space station? right now they can only send little capsules to lunar orbit, it would take forever and cost a fortune to rocket materials and assemble in lunar orbit. Not to mention it's not even in the planning stages, right now this is our only way to go. Ultimately you are 100% correct though we don't have the plan, resources,finances or political will to attempt right now.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
On May 9, 2019, our founder, Jeff Bezos, discussed his vision to go to space to benefit Earth. In addition, he also announced the Blue Moon lunar lander, which is capable of taking people and

edit on 10-5-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Is there a timeline or will I be dead by the time everything gets going?

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

Bezos want another human to saunter around and kick up regolith in 2024. source

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
Private space missions haven't fared well so far.

Yes. I think it's more likely that Lockheed Martin's Lunar Lander they designed as part of NASA's Lunar Gateway Project will get there before Jeff Bezos' lander.

Lockheed Martin unveils lunar lander design to get humans to the Moon by 2024

edit on 5/10/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I wonder who they're going to get to direct the landing. Who could fill the shoes of Kubrick?
Maybe JJ Abrams could pull it off.
Personally, I'd like to see a David Lynch production on this. Creepy music, slow moving camera pans. Zoom in on a bubble of sweat on the astronaut's eyebrow. Cut to Bezos's grinning face on a grainy monitor screen. Pile of ants crawling around a coffee cup outside of the set. Panning from the ants back to the astronaut - whoops, busted.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

He Will be Told to Leave the Minute he Lands there . No Trespassing Signs Everywhere ...........

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410
Is there a timeline or will I be dead by the time everything gets going?

You should hope for either cloning or transferring your personality to a durable robot.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
I wonder who they're going to get to direct the landing. Who could fill the shoes of Kubrick?
Personally, I'd like to see a David Lynch production on this.

Oh, like Jordan Peele couldn't do it!

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Here's the most recent test flight of another Bezos space vehicle from May 2, 2019 in Texas:

My first impression while watching the above video was, "Gee, that's quite a phallic symbol". Then, I marveled at how beautiful it was. Don't get the wrong idea! The landing of the booster was very cool, it's too bad they still do the Apollo-Era parachute splash-down style landing for the capsule. It would be nice to have parachutes for emergencies, but I want to see the capsule sporting some anti-gravity black budget technology reverse engineered from the Roswell craft.

edit on 5102019 by seattlerat because: mai spillig sugz

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
Personally, I'd like to see a David Lynch production on this. Creepy music, slow moving camera pans. Zoom in on a bubble of sweat on the astronaut's eyebrow. Cut to Bezos's grinning face on a grainy monitor screen. Pile of ants crawling around a coffee cup outside of the set. Panning from the ants back to the astronaut - whoops, busted.

As long as Disney doesn't get involved I'll buy tickets! I like your idea of Lynch directing this sci-fi epic, a sandworm swallowing the lander would be an amazing sight!

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I mean its all great and everything that Jeff is reaching for the stars,we need that.
We have utterly fornicated this planet up,but whats going to happen on the next planet.

Are we worthy of spreading our "humanity" across the stars or are we the virus made by the universe
to destroy all life in order to create something unknown?

Could it be our purpose in Mother Natures game is to be the wet wipe,the fastest destructors of species since the ice age or the asteroid strike that killed the dinos?

Could our purpose be the destruction and rebirth of everything?

As the Bee collects pollen for nourishment,
Do we collect ALL resources to initiate the global reset?

Is our purpose as Humans to initiate massive climate change to usher in the age of the sentient Giant Insectoids?

I would love to see this.
In my older years to see this would be magnificent.

but do i have a theory or a case of nonsense?

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
We are running about,I phones,Insrtagram no no no NO nonsensicial use of technology?

WHY Is this better?

Why ?
It does not make sense to me.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Specs I saw said only weighs in at 4500 kg, Apollo LEM was 15,000 Kg

Less than a third Also uses LOX/LH2 propellants much more energy than LEM N2O4/MMH

edit on 10-5-2019 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join