It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice hockey world championships 2019

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Hello!

I made a thread about last year's games and it sparked a little bit of interest. Good speculation, nice conversations. Let's see what happens this time.

The 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship are hosted by Slovakia, as announced by the IIHF on 15 May 2015. It is the second time that Slovakia is to host the event as an independent country, as was the case in 2011, the host cities were announced to be Bratislava and Košice. The tournament will run from 10 to 26 May 2019.

This is the highlight of my every spring. Forget may day, forget awakening nature, this is it!

A few words about team Finland. Doesn't look too good on paper. Best stars are in the NHL playoffs. There are some young rising stars and it is mandatory that they step to a leading role, new heroes need to be born. Luckily we have an "old new" coach. The old one was miserable and Finland played it's worst hockey, medal-wise, since the late seventies. This new guy, Jukka Jalonen, was the coach when the games last time were held in Slovakia, and Finland took gold medals after demolishing team Sweden 6-1 in the finals (i just had to mention that)

Today Finland plays against Canada. So a real tough diamond team to deal with, straight away.

If anyone has some thoughts about this or want to announce a favorite team, please feel free to do so!

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

In Canada, we almost EXPECT our guys to win it.
Bronze and silver is a disappointment.

Should be a great game...best of luck to both our teams.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

In Canada, we almost EXPECT our guys to win it.
Bronze and silver is a disappointment.

Should be a great game...best of luck to both our teams.

Yeah well, what can i say? Canada invented the whole sport and it shows. And they never give an inch of space for free. Always a talented lineup and a culture of winning.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Have fun guys! Good luck to your teams!

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Go USA!!!!

Even though the Playoffs take a lot of talent.....We've still got some great players.....Jack Hughes, Dylan Larkin.

heavy.com...

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
its true...canadians are serious about their hockey. If we come in 2nd that means we lost. 1st or nothing. Its our game and we cant get enough of it. As far as im concerned its the ONLY sport. We are animals that spare no quarter. Drop the gloves Canada!!!!!(means fight for you uninitiated).
edit on 11-5-2019 by AnrkE because: just cuz

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Here we go again. In fifteen minutes. 3-1 win against Canada gave us a big confidence boost. Now we have to deal with Slovakia and their great, passionate home crowd cheering for them nonstop.

Turbocharged slapshot

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
What a game. Finland 4 Slovakia 2. In the beginning of the tournament i called for young rising players to take big role. Now Kaapo Kakko has scored 5 goals in 2 games. Hat trick tonight. The day just changed to Sunday here so it is my bedtime.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
What a day... I won't go into further details but i, myself, caused a big hurry to myself due to being lazy and then a seagull took a **** on my hoodie...

I have beer, i have chili flavored potato chips and Finland will be playing against USA in an hour. USA always has a tough and talented team, this time even more so than in the past few years. So obviously, i am expecting to see some top quality ice hockey soon.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Looks like USA is playing Finland right now.
I won't be able to watch, but good luck to both our teams.

As an aside, rumors around here are flying that the Detroit Red Wings are more than interested in Oliwer Kaski...have you heard about this?

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Looks like USA is playing Finland right now.
I won't be able to watch, but good luck to both our teams.

As an aside, rumors around here are flying that the Detroit Red Wings are more than interested in Oliwer Kaski...have you heard about this?

USA won in overtime, 3-2. Somehow the Americans were one skate push ahead most of the time and that is a lot in this sport. I feel content with the one point Finland got. USA earned their two points

I haven't heard about that rumor, everyone here just talks about Kaapo Kakko and will he be drafted as a first overall pick.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I had hoped either Kakko or Hughes would end up in Detroit....now I pray they don't end up in Colorado
since Ottawa "sold" their First Round Pick....I

Yeah, a point is better than none!
Luck to your team for the rest of the Competition

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Hello. I haven't really felt like posting lately, but now as i am having my morning coffee, i want to post.

Preliminary round has been played and now we are looking at quarterfinals which will be played may 23rd.

Preliminary group A was won by Canada, having 18 points in total. Second place, Finland, 16 points. Then Germany with 15 points and USA with 14 points. These teams will advance to the quarterfinals from this group.

Preliminary group B was won by Russia, 21 points (they won all their 7 games and are on fire all the time) Czech republic second with 18 points. Sweden 15, Switzerland 12. So there are the other four quarterfinal teams.

Here are the games:

Canada - Switzerland
Russia - USA
Finland - Sweden (our loved bitter rivals! The game is going to be intense!)
Czech republic - Germany

So this means simply that with a loss, it is summer vacation for the players. With a victory, advancing to the medal rounds.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I was happy to see Finland beat Russia today. Finland really put out that Russian fire!!!!
It was a good game, and I usually don't enjoy such low scoring games.

Now, you guys play Canada tomorrow!
Best of luck!!!!!

Also, looks like what i heard happened......Oliwer Kaski signed with the Wings.
So, it was a treat to see him and Kakko play today.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Finland took gold, after winning Canada in the gold medal game 3-1

This pretty much wraps it up. Happy but very tired now...

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

congrats!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Yeah it is me. I need to say this to get this off from pressuring my chest heavily.

For a couple of years in a row, i have made a thread about this. Ice hockey world championships. I am an ice hockey freak. Due to the current issues, the games are cancelled. I know it is a minor issue, but the world championships has always been the highlight of my spring. It means a lot to me. We say here, that sports is the most important thing of all the non-important things.

Therefore, i need to say this. Switzerland would have hosted the games this year. They have done a great job with their juniors and they... they were awful a decade ago but they have jumped into a level of being dangerous.

I assume command and therefore, i hereby declare that team Switzerland has won ice hockey championship of 2020.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Wow awesome! Was just posting on another thread and saw this news for the first time - drew me here!

Congrats!!

top topics

join