It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

According to study, police kill about 3 people each day...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

This is a link to the actual study:

Risk of Police-Involved Death by Race/Ethnicity and Place, United States, 2012–2018.

Objectives. To estimate the risk of mortality from police homicide by race/ethnicity and place in the United States.

Methods. We used novel data on police-involved fatalities and Bayesian models to estimate mortality risk for Black, Latino, and White men for all US counties by Census division and metropolitan area type.

Results. Police kill, on average, 2.8 men per day. Police were responsible for about 8% of all homicides with adult male victims between 2012 and 2018.

Another article with additional information/opinion/interpretation:

POLICE KILL ABOUT 3 MEN PER DAY IN THE US, ACCORDING TO NEW STUDY.

Police agencies are not required to submit information about killings to the federal government, and coroners often do not accurately classify deaths caused by police.

Because police departments can choose whether to report these data, they often fail to do so.

These gaps leave federal data on police killings – and thus the public’s understanding of these events – relatively thin.

IMHO, 3 people a day is a staggering number.

Certain events are reported with an incredible amount of hype so it can be difficult to determine the actual seriousness of a situation.

After excluding cases in which police use of force was not the direct cause of death – generally suicides and vehicular collisions – we identified 6,295 adult male victims of police homicide killed over this six-year period, or about 1,000 per year.

By contrast, the National Vital Statistics System and the Arrest Related Deaths program record about 500 deaths per year, less than half of our count.

Shootings and killings by police receive a lot of attention both in the mouthpiece media as well as on social media.

Until now, it was difficult to determine whether or not there was an actual crisis on our hands.

This latest study helps to put things into perspective.

edit on 9-5-2019 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

So that's what, about one in a million?

Still pretty bad odds when it's life or death. I suggest staying out of the city

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

Put in a different perspective, in 2016 there were on average, 43 murders per day.

The police were responsible for 3 of them, although if police related, it probably would not be categorized as murder.

How Many People Are Murdered a Day: United States Statistics.

The number of people murdered daily in the United States varies each year. In 2016, there were approximately 15,696 murders, which breaks down to about 43 murders daily, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigations.

edit on 9-5-2019 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   

So, in other words, about the same number of people in the US who die falling out of trees.

www.google.com...

edit on 9-5-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Approximately 40 police officers have been killed in the line of duty this year, 17 by gunfire. Interestingly, 5 had heart attacks.

www.odmp.org...

We're 18 weeks into 2019, and so far 17 officers have been shot and killed in the line of duty across the country.
That's a decline from last year. Firearm-related deaths for officers are more than a third fewer than what they were at this time in 2018, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.
But to those affected, it's little comfort.
www.cnn.com...

That means approximately 390 people have been killed by police this year vs 17 police officers. That sounds about right; thats usually what the figures look like after a short Israeli-Palestinian round of fighting. I'm not drawing a comparison, it's coincidental but it came to mind. We can assume at least half of those people were criminals evading the law which doesn't make it any better but these are, in my opinion, reasonable numbers considering what goes on out there. I guess you'd have to get out a lot to notice.

I was in Richmond, VA for a night out about a decade ago (it's an hour and a half away but I rarely travel there anymore) when a guy with a gun, probably shot someone, was nearby around 2am when all of the clubs and bars close. Police on motorcycles, on foot, and in cars seemingly poured out of intersecting blocks. I don't see it, but counted over 10 gunshots while waiting for my friend to get his car out of a parking lot. He said it happened near him on the way to me while at a light and he ducked. Multiply that by how many cities across the country.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Isn’t this exactly what the police force is for, protecting the rest of us?

I’d assume a high majority of people killed by police were killed because they posed a threat to the rest of us innocent citizens.

Did the study separate out people killed unlawfully?

I’d be interested to see that number, because I’m sure it’s not as high as the media likes to portray it, but still would highlight the issues of police brutality and training reform.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

It's simple really. You shoot at the police, or try to. and they shoot back. You have to be total idiot, committing suicide by cop or killing or trying to kill others to get shot by an officer.

I've read recently that suicide by cop accounts for over 15% of the shootings.

As long as there are violent thugs on the streets, police will be forced to shoot them in self-defense or to defend others. There is zero surprising in that. I give them credit for keeping the number that low, considering all the violent gangs on the streets in the horrible inner cities.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Given the scale involved and the extreme nature of the job..

This really doesn't seem to be a big number. I'd even go so far as to say it negates the claims of how horrific a problem it is.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Put in a different perspective

Ok.

For 2016 specifically, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data shows 37,461 people were killed in 34,436 motor vehicle crashes, an average of 102 per day.[1]

3 people a day is a staggering number

Not when I put it in a different perspective?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   

3 people a day is a staggering number.

2800 people, mostly children, choke to death every year. That comes out to 7.6 people every day.

In 2016, 1,700 children died from abuse or neglect from a parent. That’s 4.6 a day.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

This is a link to the actual study:

Risk of Police-Involved Death by Race/Ethnicity and Place, United States, 2012–2018.

Objectives. To estimate the risk of mortality from police homicide by race/ethnicity and place in the United States.

Methods. We used novel data on police-involved fatalities and Bayesian models to estimate mortality risk for Black, Latino, and White men for all US counties by Census division and metropolitan area type.

Results. Police kill, on average, 2.8 men per day. Police were responsible for about 8% of all homicides with adult male victims between 2012 and 2018.

Another article with additional information/opinion/interpretation:

POLICE KILL ABOUT 3 MEN PER DAY IN THE US, ACCORDING TO NEW STUDY.

Police agencies are not required to submit information about killings to the federal government, and coroners often do not accurately classify deaths caused by police.

Because police departments can choose whether to report these data, they often fail to do so.

These gaps leave federal data on police killings – and thus the public’s understanding of these events – relatively thin.

IMHO, 3 people a day is a staggering number.

Certain events are reported with an incredible amount of hype so it can be difficult to determine the actual seriousness of a situation.

After excluding cases in which police use of force was not the direct cause of death – generally suicides and vehicular collisions – we identified 6,295 adult male victims of police homicide killed over this six-year period, or about 1,000 per year.

By contrast, the National Vital Statistics System and the Arrest Related Deaths program record about 500 deaths per year, less than half of our count.

Shootings and killings by police receive a lot of attention both in the mouthpiece media as well as on social media.

Until now, it was difficult to determine whether or not there was an actual crisis on our hands.

This latest study helps to put things into perspective.

You just proved the problem isn't as big as some would have you believe...

3 people a day is nothing particularly when probably 90% are justifiable. I'd venture there are less than 15 cases per year of "questionable" police killings and even half of those are probably still justifiable to some degree...

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Police shooting and killing violent offenders: good job, we need to see a lot more of it, anyone who doesn’t like it can go scream at the sky

Police wrongful shootings: not good, should never happen. Guaran-damn-tee that wrongful shootings a a billion times more rare than the lying media will have [snipped] believe
edit on 9 5 2019 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu May 9 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Here is something to ponder. LINK

You can also look at the faces of the officers that won't be coming home to their children and families because they put their lives on the line to protect you and I.

View Statistics for Year 2018
Total Line of Duty Deaths: 163

9/11 related illness 27
Accidental 1
Assault 3
Automobile crash 26
Drowned 4
Duty related illness 5
Fall 1
Gunfire 52
Gunfire (Inadvertent) 1
Heart attack 18
Motorcycle crash 3
Struck by train 2
Struck by vehicle 6
Vehicle pursuit 5
Vehicular assault 9

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

The police have no obligation to protect anyone, they absolutely may try if given the opportunity but its not a legal requirement:

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone.

Often times police arrive AFTER the fact.

Real, true self protection comes in the form of citizens being armed, whether its walking down the street or in our homes.

And the fact is that in many jurisdictions and or areas, their primary responsibility is generating revenue for the State and their departments, disregarding civil asset forfeitures.

Cop Fired for Speaking Out Against Ticket and Arrest Quotas.

Police Across USA Charged With Traffic Ticket Quotas To Meet Budgets.

To Serve and Collect? Police Department Funding, Effectiveness, and Legitimacy.

The premise that the police are only shooting or killing armed individuals is simply wrong. Let alone armed individuals who are being aggressive...

Proof that Philando Castile had a permit to carry from Hennepin County

The vast majority of incidents are not recorded.

edit on 9-5-2019 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I'm all for gun rights, but I'm just not a Cop hater. I appreciate what they do and they have always treated me well.

I'm saddened when I look at the faces at the link I provided, are you? You're upset they defend themselves and others against thugs. Why?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Based on how many crazy people I've encountered and bad neighborhoods I feel like that numbers low for some reason.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Now I'm looking around for a fractional man walking around who survived having the rest of him killed by the cops.

I guess it would have to just be part of his head that made it because if it was just an elbow or something he couldn't really still be alive.
edit on 10-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Also, it probably doesn't help anything to demonize the police and make them feel like they are hated. That tends to make people paranoid. Paranoid people are generally a bit jumpy in confrontational situations.
edit on 10-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Cops are now competing with banana peels for number of victims per day.

top topics

join