It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flight Test Museum At Edwards AFB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
As many know, 2009 was the last time Edwards was open to the public in any way shape or form. I was lucky enough to attend but the museum was closed. It has remained on my bucket list of aviation museums and also represent the last significant West coast museum I have not been to. You are only allowed access to the base if you are stationed there or have business on the base. The only other way is to sign up for the public tour. The wait list is fierce and I waited almost 18 months before I got a slot this May.

The instructions have a strict no cell phone or photography, but they have loosened the requirements and do allow pictures at the museum. It is quite small with an adjacent air park. Speaking to one of the docents, they are breaking ground out by the "Century Circle" and outside the secure area for a huge museum, that will allow year round visiting whenever you want. Expect that in 3-4 years.

Lots of informational displays and videos, In addition there is one of the YF-22's parked in a corner. Lifting bodies, BWB, Hypersonic test craft etc. dot the museum. As always talking tot he docents is always fun and they tell the best stories and many were based here or worked on many of the projects. There also is a RAF wall detailing the British presence at the base. The airpark had an SR-71 and to my surprise a YA-10!

The airpark

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Check the serial, but I'm pretty sure that "YA-10" is the preproduction A-10 they modified for NAWS testing. Serial should still be 73-1664, but they changed designation to "YA-10B". Did preliminary eval at Edwards, so that makes some sense.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Again, thanks for posting all these

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I really wish there was more Pancho Barnes history that had been saved. I would have killed to see the original "ranch" before the fire.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I really wish there was more Pancho Barnes history that had been saved. I would have killed to see the original "ranch" before the fire.

Yeah the problem is that the small arms range is nearby so its off the tour list. I'm betting if someone with press credentials can see the ruins but average joe's? not so much

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I used to give tours of Pancho's. The ruins are quite interesting. There is a lot of history there, and also a couple of vintage aircraft wrecks. The base used to host an annual BBQ at the site. Initially, it was by invitation only and then they opened it up with ticket sales to the public.

I think you may have missed one of the more interesting aircraft at the museum. Believe it or not, it's the humble CH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" helicopter. This one spent about a decade supporting the early stealth programs and other interesting things as a security/SAR chopper.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadowhawk

I used to give tours of Pancho's. The ruins are quite interesting. There is a lot of history there, and also a couple of vintage aircraft wrecks. The base used to host an annual BBQ at the site. Initially, it was by invitation only and then they opened it up with ticket sales to the public.

I think you may have missed one of the more interesting aircraft at the museum. Believe it or not, it's the humble CH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" helicopter. This one spent about a decade supporting the early stealth programs and other interesting things as a security/SAR chopper.

Shadowhawk thanks for the background as I did but did not know its history. I fly around in an EC-145 all the time so anything rotary is interesting to me. I just triaged for the forum LOL. I really would have loved to see Pancho's.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert
Thats what I thought. I remember the NAWS testing well. Its a shame it never came to fruition, it would make a great FAC platform today.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Definitely. Did you know the main sensor used by 'hog pilots even after all the upgrades is still the classified gyro-stabilized binoculars? Their existence isn't classified; I'm not giving out state secrets. Haha

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

do you watch Scott Manley on youtube?

he does mostly space stuff but as seen in the video does aircraft stuff

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
a reply to: thebozeian

Definitely. Did you know the main sensor used by 'hog pilots even after all the upgrades is still the classified gyro-stabilized binoculars? Their existence isn't classified; I'm not giving out state secrets. Haha

At one time they used the IR guidance camera on one of the missiles they carried for targeting their gun system at night.

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I miss being out at Edwards.

new topics

top topics

join