It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STEM School students walk out of "vigil"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Free and easy access? How do I get my free gun?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

You gonna play dumb too?

Serious question here, do we know where the shooter got his weapon? I read it might of belonged to one of the parents?
edit on 9-5-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

So like the same "free and easy" access Americans have to lets say a photo ID? Sweet. We can start requiring ID to vote then since it's so free and easy to exercise that right.

In MN I have to fill out a form and submit to a background check just to be issued a permit to purchase a handgun. That's on top of the forms I have to fill out to conceal carry it. Other states will vary but most gun crime happens with handguns, not long guns like rifles and shotguns. Those are pretty easy as well, just fill out a form and go through a Federal database where lying or making a mistake is a Federal offense.

I would hardly call having to ask permission to exercise a constitutional right informal and relaxed.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
While the subject of statistics are at hand, how about we divorce the suicides by gun from the gun deaths stats thrown about.

I had a close friend who committed suicide, he used a gun, but if he didn't have a gun he would have done it another way. Of gun deaths in the US by year, a massive number of them are suicides, about 2/3.
www.nimh.nih.gov...
and
www.cdc.gov...
(that cdc link is a rather large PDF, the stats are on page 10)

Many of the statistics used are way over inflated, and the US is probably the only country that reports suicides with guns in the same traunch as "gun violence".

edit on 9-5-2019 by dubiousatworst because: grammar

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Your comment was dumb. I am not playing, merely pointing it out. In the near future every house will have a 3d printer which can make a gun. These guns were not legally owned by the kids using them, fact. Guns have always been around in America, fact. These shootings are a recent phenomenon. Guns are not the problem, something in our society is, and Democrats don't want to discuss it, why is that?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

One should definitely need id to vote, you won't find me arguing that.

The gun laws vary from state to state right? gun shows?

Here, it's easy to buy a rifle or shotgun as long as you have passed a common sense safety course, and pass the police record check, there are no open carries of concealed carries whatsoever, and weapons must be properly stored and unloaded.
There aren't guns under peoples pillows, in night tables, glove boxes, parents dresser drawers..etc
Do you understand my point? about easy access.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Your comment was dumb

I beg to differ, there was a point to it.

Oh, and I agree..the genie is out of the bottle, and I don't agree with banning anything.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   

What I noticed before the shooting even occurred is that it was reported several days prior to the event. Since many of the school shootings seem to be stated events I at least once a week type in "school shooting" just to see what pops up and make note of links and news stories reporting major shootings even if its not reported by the TV media. I noticed last week this school shooting was reported several times almost an entire week before it happened. I have to chalk this one as another fake for another attempt to slowly brainwash Americans into demanding that we give up our 2nd Amendment Right.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: PaladinRoden

Someone died so not a fake. But it is definitely being used for political purposes.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Your comment was dumb

I beg to differ, there was a point to it.

Guns are not free, there was no point. Access for people should be as free from restriction as possible, it is a right, not a privilege. These kids did not legally own these guns. More restrictions on legal owners would not stop this.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   

How much did the gun cost the shooter?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yes, yes it is.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

How much did the gun cost the shooter?

I have no idea, since it was not legally his. How would more gun laws have kept it out of his hands?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Google must be a time machine allowing us to see the future. I saw this news posted last Friday. Here is a better demonstration.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Not to throw a wrench into the works on that. But News sites are really bad about the dates on their web pages. They tend to have set aside pages for articles before anything is written, then modify them with the publishing of articles. This messes with web crawlers a heck of a lot, as they crawled the results multiple times and fill in the blanks afterwards.

So in these instances the original crawl was just a blank page, and the only information was the date and other generic website information. Then a later crawl picks up the actual article once something of substance is on that page. The reason news sites do this is to increase the number of hits they get so they rank higher in searches.

Another possibility is they run the information that is input for the article itself from an extension, while re-using the same main page.

I ran into this problem many times when trying to glean information for a case I was working on, and trying to filter out false positives.

edit on 9-5-2019 by dubiousatworst because: edit other possibility

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I have seen that happen because of the way Google indexes articles. The actual articles were not written at the time Google had it listed. It has to do with them being linked to older articles I think.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I have no idea, since it was not legally his

I'll give you the likely answer..nothing, as it was there for the taking(free and easy)

How would more gun laws have kept it out of his hands?

Maybe better storage rules, that kind of thing is about all I advocate for..and even that might not of been effective, we can never know.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Honest question, let's say someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night. What good is an unloaded gun locked in a safe going to do? You need to wake up first, then clear the sleep fog out, then get to your safe and remember the combo or use biometrics, open it and grab a magazine/load it, and then finally you can deal with the imminent threat elsewhere in the house. Seconds count in that situation.

Obviously, if one has kids they need to be either denied access physically or taught proper gun safety(preferably both). That falls on the parents to store their guns properly and teach their kids responsibility, which seems severely lacking nowadays.

Gun shows? It's a private transaction between consenting adults, I don't see why the government should get involved at all. I do believe it was just recently changed to allow private sellers to finally have access to the Federal background check system but there's a cost associated with that. Government does nothing for free. What if my dad wants to pass a gun down the family to me, he should be required by law to run a background check on me? He knows me better than any government database could possibly hope to know.
edit on 5/9/19 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

How about rather than speculating you come back after you know the facts.

I am all for people who improperly store weapons being charged for crimes those weapons are used in.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

Honest question, let's say someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night. What good is an unloaded gun locked in a safe going to do? You need to wake up first, then clear the sleep fog out, then get to your safe and remember the combo or use biometrics, open it and grab a magazine/load it, and then finally you can deal with the imminent threat elsewhere in the house. Seconds count in that situation.

Your point is valid. Personally, I figure I would have roughly 90 seconds to do the above, I have an inexpensive security system that informs me if anyone sets foot on the perimeter of my property..best I can do. Fortunately that kind of thing is rare, I did lose a good friend this way..so not rare to me..he never had a chance, blasted through his living room window with a shotty.

Obviously, if one has kids they need to be either denied access physically or taught proper gun safety. That falls on the parents to store their guns properly and teach their kids responsibility, which seems severely lacking nowadays.

I agree, I'm just unsure of how to fix sh@tty/careless parenting.

Gun shows? It's a private transaction between consenting adults, I don't see why the government should get involved at all.

I understand, but it relates to theoretically easy access, I guess my point is it's not hard to get a gun by various means, good or bad.

Anyway, I have made my points..good, bad or indifferent to you all.
Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join