It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STEM School students walk out of "vigil"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
All the hand-wringing over school shootings that are exceedingly rare when in reality we have literal "child soldiers" getting killed by the hundreds in our urban cities weekly.

But hey... black and poor so no one gives a sh*t. Also, can't expose how liberal agendas are directly tied to this carnage.

But the gun-grabbers will never relent despite the fact that their "policies" don't work. Schools are already "no gun zones," but only idiots think that criminals will abide by the law...

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
a reply to: face23785

what is a car designed for?

what is a gun designed for?

if both are the same ban them both

People will always kill, murder and commit crime with or without firearms, crime did not start with the invention of a gun

So not sure how we jumped into automobiles, I mean a fridge could topple on me at home, are you gonna suggest somehow I alluded to banning fridges also.

I love this argument. These dummies actually think it's points for gun control that something that's "designed to kill" (guns) kills fewer people than cars, which aren't designed to kill. That actually indicates that guns are less dangerous than you think they are. Cars kill more people--ON ACCIDENT--even though they're not designed to kill and they're rarely used in homicides.

Virtually all gun deaths are due to purposeful action by an individual. Meanwhile, people are so irresponsible with cars that they kill more people than guns do. But that's okay because they're not designed to kill. Go tell all the families that have lost loved ones in auto accidents that their lives didn't matter because cars aren't designed to kill and you can't fundraise or get easy votes from gullible people based on a #bancars platform.

If you actually cared about saving lives, you'd be more concerned about cars, because more lives could be saved by addressing that issue. It's a fact that cars kill more people. They're also much easier to regulate because they're not protected by the Constitution. Those are facts you can't change. You don't care about saving lives though. All you care about is politics.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
These kids give me hope.

They had the guts to voice their displeasure with their feet. They were bang on with the message. They showed respect for their friends. They refused to be pawns.

This was a STEM school. Maybe there is something in that fact.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
People are catching on that there isn't all that much that separates the people who seize upon tragedy from those who commit the heinous act of the tragedy itself. It is the same psychology. Look at any psychopath and you will see in their personal history a long list of virtue signaling and selective empathy. People often think psychopaths don't show emotion because they lack empathy. But just because a psychopath doesn't have empathy doesn't mean they aren't aware of its power or are oblivious to how to exploit. It is actually their strongest weapon because while most of us get bogged down empathizing with all sides in a situation and struggle to find the best foot forward to progress, the psychopath can seize upon whichever path best suits their own self-serving agenda and leave those who suffer as a consequence in their wake since they are not of use to them.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Again..you haven't a clue. For your info, I grew up shooting, pretty much every week for years, my father was a gunsmith, so I'm not ignorant on the subject.
edit on 9-5-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

My thoughts are better training, or training period, better storage rules..it's about all you can do.
I just think it's nonsensical to deny that free and easy access to guns everywhere is not part of the equation..that's it!! I'm not saying anything other than that. It's a fact, admit it, and move forward.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

My thoughts are better training, or training period, better storage rules..it's about all you can do.
I just think it's nonsensical to deny that free and easy access to guns everywhere is not part of the equation..that's it!! I'm not saying anything other than that. It's a fact, admit it, and move forward.

Statistically that's not a fact. If it was, the US would have the highest gun violence rates in the world because we have the most guns outright and the highest gun ownership rates. We don't have the highest gun violence rates in the world or anything close to it. The availability of guns and the gun violence of a country are statistically unrelated. There are countries with high availability and low gun violence, low availability and high gun violence, and the toher ways around.

There's a much higher correlation between the overall crime rate and the gun violence rate. That's what we have in common with a lot of the other countries that have gun violence issues. We have high overall crime rates, and that's what we should be investigating and trying to fix. I suspect it has a lot to do with our soft-on-criminals policies. The way we treat mental health issues is obviously a problem as well. We have a culture that glorifies violence. All of these things combine to cause the issue.

One of our biggest problems is that the people who know the most about these issues and could help take concrete steps to secure our schools are ignored. Look at the Parkland shooting. Mere months before that happened, they had a security expert in to do an evaluation and tell them how they could better secure the school. Some of his recommendations could've been implemented immediately without even costing much if any money. Nothing was done.

Most of the security experts won't recommend just banning x, y, or z, so their views are pushed to the side in favor of feel good "solutions" that would accomplish nothing.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
After Florida weren't we told that kids of this age are not mature enough to have an opinion on this topic?

By the way, aren't you politicizing their actions with this post?

No, it was said they aren't mature enough to dictate policies that affect the constitution............

But of selective hearing there eh?
edit on 5/9/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I have never historically thought of the U.S. as soft on crime, maybe it's more of a current trend. Now Canada is a lot softer on crime, no doubt.
And, not that I have looked lately, but amongst 1st world nations, I'm not buying the U.S. has less gun crime or incidents than other 1st world countries..per capita.
It's a complex problem, mental health plays a part. But look to Canada, same sh@tty mental health services, same pressures of life..more or less, far less gun crime per capita..why?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I have never historically thought of the U.S. as soft on crime, maybe it's more of a current trend. Now Canada is a lot softer on crime, no doubt.
And, not that I have looked lately, but amongst 1st world nations, I'm not buying the U.S. has less gun crime or incidents than other 1st world countries..per capita.
It's a complex problem, mental health plays a part. But look to Canada, same sh@tty mental health services, same pressures of life..more or less, far less gun crime per capita..why?

It is a relatively recent thing. And you have to remember the US isn't a homogeneous entity. Just look at our inner cities. They've devolved into de facto war zones. I defy any gun control activist to go to the worst parts of Chicago or Baltimore and tell me it's reasonable to compare it to any "1st world country." That's where the vast majority of our gun problem is. But the majority of the victims are poor minorities so the media and politicians ignore it. A relatively small number of middle-class white kids get shot at school and it's non-stop coverage. You can fundraise and get votes from that.

As for Canada, there are big differences between us and them. Same mental health services? Where are you getting that idea? Our health systems are fundamentally different. We have different cultures, different population densities, there are all kinds of differences.
edit on 9 5 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Canada: Too far north and colder and shorter seasons and less populace? Just a guess.

America has become more of a boiling pot rather than a melting pot, lately. The rules of law and justice seem to blurred and not respected even by the law and justice at times. Americans are more frustrated and agitated, so if guns were banned...I believe violence would become even greater than it is.
edit on 5 9 2019 by CynConcepts because: Clarification

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

It is a relatively recent thing. Just look at our inner cities. They've devolved into de facto war zones. I defy any gun control activist to go to the worst parts of Chicago or Baltimore and tell me it's reasonable to compare it to any "1st world country." That's where the vast majority of our gun problem is.

I can believe that. Plenty of shooting outside of Chicago though..I guess those are the ones that make the news.

As for Canada, there are big differences between us and them. Same mental health services? Where are you getting that idea? Our health systems are fundamentally different. We have different cultures, different population densities, there are all kinds of differences.

Our mental health services consist of giving a person a bottle of pills and then turning them loose, I really don't think there is much difference..I guess access would be it. I have seen many threads here talking about these various shooter being on meds, that is how I make that comparison

Culturally, I really don't think we are much different..just my opinion though.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Of course there's plenty outside Chicago, I just used that as an example. It's almost all confined to inner cities though. Many of those cities have trended softer on crime for decades. It's not gun nuts in rural Alabama doing all these shootings.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Canada: Too far north and colder and shorter seasons and less populace? Just a guess.

America has become more of a boiling pot rather than a melting pot, lately. The rules of law and justice seem to blurred and not respected even by the law and justice at times. Americans are more frustrated and agitated, so if guns were banned...I believe violence would become even greater than it is.

Criminals have been surveyed in jail before. They fear meeting an armed victim more than the police. Break ins are more common in the daytime here because they're less likely to meet their victim than at night. Why do we think these mass shootings always happen in gun free zones? Criminals don't want a fight.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Around my area, which definitely has more than average gun crime, it's almost exclusively East Indian, or Persian gangsters..sad thing is they are 2nd, or 3rd generation.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

...free and easy access to guns everywhere...

Where's my free gun?

Damn, I must've missed a letter in the mail.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I said this before, and I will say it again. The younger generations are going to rebel, and rebel hard. The media narrative about mamby pamby kids and how they are horrible people neglects one thing entirely. They live their lives online for the most part. It is a hell of a lot harder to hide the truth online, as it is just a couple of searches away. That is why there is a mad scramble to shut down and control the internet as it was originally imagined, because if that doesn't happen, the "elites" can't control the narrative.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

"Free and easy", it's a phrase..I'm sure you know it!

free and easy:

informal and relaxed.
synonyms: easygoing, relaxed, casual, informal, unceremonious, unforced, natural, open, spontaneous, uninhibited, friendly

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

what is a car designed for?

what is a gun designed for?

if both are the same ban them both

People will always kill, murder and commit crime with or without firearms, crime did not start with the invention of a gun

So not sure how we jumped into automobiles, I mean a fridge could topple on me at home, are you gonna suggest somehow I alluded to banning fridges also.

I love this argument. These dummies actually think it's points for gun control that something that's "designed to kill" (guns) kills fewer people than cars, which aren't designed to kill. That actually indicates that guns are less dangerous than you think they are. Cars kill more people--ON ACCIDENT--even though they're not designed to kill and they're rarely used in homicides.

Virtually all gun deaths are due to purposeful action by an individual. Meanwhile, people are so irresponsible with cars that they kill more people than guns do. But that's okay because they're not designed to kill. Go tell all the families that have lost loved ones in auto accidents that their lives didn't matter because cars aren't designed to kill and you can't fundraise or get easy votes from gullible people based on a #bancars platform.

If you actually cared about saving lives, you'd be more concerned about cars, because more lives could be saved by addressing that issue. It's a fact that cars kill more people. They're also much easier to regulate because they're not protected by the Constitution. Those are facts you can't change. You don't care about saving lives though. All you care about is politics.

I've been saying this for years.

Notice how it's called an "auto accident"? and yet the same applies when someone gets road rage and 'crashes' into someone. I don't see many media outlets going out of their way to call it "auto" or "car violence".

People just don't get it.....the country is absolutely loaded with guns and yet we have relatively low rates of "gun violence" compared to smaller countries with harsher laws.

This is about political and ideological control of the populace. Thank God people are finally seeing it and it gives me hope that these kids see beyond the bull#. This is perhaps the best thing to come out of this sad story.

Bottom line is this: Gun Control = Victim Disarmament
edit on 9-5-2019 by wills120 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I look at these thing per capita, but I guess I can entertain the idea, I do hear there are spikes in shooting during hot spells.

On a weather related side note, It actually hit 84' today..I'm in the mildest(winter) climate in the country, going to be very hot this summer..just not Arizona hot.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join