It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STEM School students walk out of "vigil"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

If someone pushed that fridges onto you, we should ban it. Clearly, that fridge does not mix with polite society.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

where did i say a civilised person shoots up society?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

how would you like me to measure the world views accuratly? not sure I can, and when you say world do you mean other nations that dont have access to firearms, if so I guess they made there choice like America made its choice, these countries now live with those choices.

Myself I think guns and civilised society are a bad mix, my own country has both allowed me and made it illegal to own a firearm during my lifetime, at no point have I ever owned a gun and never missed not owning one, freedom to me does not require armed support.

School / mass shootings are rare. They don't happen nearly as much as the media makes you think it happens.

The vast majority of gun violence in the US are gang / thug shootings and highly concentrated in poor black communities. 99.9% of those shootings involve illegally obtained firearms.

No amount of gun control laws is going to fix the above problems... particularly when you consider there are probably 400 million guns in circulation in the US.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I applaud them for that. These kids are more perceptive than the vast majority of the population. It cuts right to the heart of the issue. It's always been mental illness but one side tries to blame guns while the other blames video games/medication/drugs/etc.

There's still a big stigma against those that seek treatment from psychologists in this country. Considering the prevalence of disorders like depression and anxiety, we need to start treating them like we do the common cold. And we need to start treating more uncommon disorders, like schizophrenia, like we do cancer.

Maybe then we'll actually start seeing a change in the number of kids willing to murder other kids.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

That is the implication of your post. If a society has firearms or things that can be used to kill, then it is not civilized.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
After Florida weren't we told that kids of this age are not mature enough to have an opinion on this topic?

By the way, aren't you politicizing their actions with this post?

Man oh man... whew lardy .....dude you just never stop

energizer npc

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

you say rare, yet 2018 had the most deaths within schools in the USA

its your country, my own country does not have guns since we had our last school shooting waaaaaaaaay back in 1996, we banned handguns, do I miss the days of owning a gun, nope, has my freedom been changed, nope, do I feel less safe, nope, do I feel more safe, YES

How many American children, future scientists, leaders, scholars, musicians or sport stars, or just a good husband/wife for someone been lost since 1996 to gun murder

I always say to myself dont get involved in gun threads, Americans and guns go together like

Enjoy your freedom, feel safer with that revolver in your pocket

+1 more 
posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

If the one kid was transitioning, I'll bet you anything he/she was seeing a psychologist.

When we talk about blaming the medication, psychologists/psychiatrists are part of the problem here. They hand over the pills same as doctors do, or in this case, they are quick to assign gender re-assignment, but they don't necessarily do the hard work of digging into the real emotional and psychological issues behind the why.

There is a sort of assumption that we can alter chemicals with pharmaceuticals and simply fix the problem, but for a mental illness, there is so much more. You have to spend time in therapy, hard time, and you have to dig deep. You have to work through negative thought patterns and retrain yourself in so many ways in order to work back to a healthy state.

And it all comes back to discovering why to begin with, and I don't think nearly enough people and their therapists are working for that. Sure the drugs are part of the solution, but they only set the stage to allow the real productive work of untangling your issue to begin with your therapist.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

so you projected what you thought I said into your reply, not actually what I said, cool ok

I said and there is a function to quote me

Myself I think guns and civilised society are a bad mix,

At no point did I insinuate civilised people are killing others with guns

link   
a reply to: Fools

I've been on this site longer than you. The evolution of my personality from late teens to early 30s is on full display for everyone to see.

But go ahead and try to brush me off without actually responding to my comment.

link   

The fact that she/he was transitioning from female to male...and receiving testosterone...will likely be a major part of her/his defense.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
RiP Kendrick Castillo , surely his is the important story here.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

The fact that she/he was transitioning from female to male...and receiving testosterone...will likely be a major part of her/his defense.

And if that's what happens, it should end up being a Huge Red Flag calling so many things at so many levels into question.
edit on 9-5-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

But the more streamlined reasoning is that these people were mentally ill.

How is this such a hard concept for the conspiracy crowd to grasp?

If you shoot another person, you're probably crazy. If you shoot a lot of people, you're definitely crazy.

But no, let's blame every other possible thing because we can't admit that this country doesn't take care of the mentally ill.

BTW: I am not calling transgenderism a mental illness. I am however referring to the fact that there is a high rate of depression in transgender individuals. Generally caused by social influences. Which seems to be the case here.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Generally speaking, the students are the heroes all the way around from Kendrick especially on down. You can't fault law enforcement either. They ran in.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

How is that *not* what I just got done saying?

This kid was mentally ill, but I'll bet you this kid was being treated as though the source of his/her problems was the gender dysphoria. I'll bet the lion's share of the focus being paid was on that as the cause of the problem.

Your sad because you're a boy in a girl's body, and when we address this, you'll be happy.

But maybe, that's not why this kid was actually sad, and maybe your assumption that the depression comes from societal treatment of someone transitioning is incorrect too.

Did the kid spend time with the therapist discovering *why* she felt like a boy? Sometimes those feelings are gender dysphoria, but there are other reasons for kids to feel like they want to be the opposite gender that have zero to do with gender dysphoria too. However, a lot of therapists these days jump straight to gender affirmation because there is a push to view discovering why those feelings exist as a form of conversion therapy. What if this girl is really a lesbian - not a boy, for example? What if she's a female Aspy who's been misdiagnosed?

Taking someone who isn't actually gender dysphoric and then treating them as if they are will cause more problems, not less.

But we're going to add hormone therapy into this mix because medication solves everything. That's what I'm saying. And then we pile on therapy as if gender dysphoria is the issue. What if it's not?

Of course, we don't know what is going on. I'm just pointing out that our mental health apparatus relies on medications as much as our doctors tend to hand out antibiotics because it's easier than doing therapy and a lot of people want the easy answer.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

you say rare, yet 2018 had the most deaths within schools in the USA

its your country, my own country does not have guns since we had our last school shooting waaaaaaaaay back in 1996, we banned handguns, do I miss the days of owning a gun, nope, has my freedom been changed, nope, do I feel less safe, nope, do I feel more safe, YES

How many American children, future scientists, leaders, scholars, musicians or sport stars, or just a good husband/wife for someone been lost since 1996 to gun murder

I always say to myself dont get involved in gun threads, Americans and guns go together like

Enjoy your freedom, feel safer with that revolver in your pocket

I see statistics is above your pay grade...

There are 350 million people in the US. According to VOX, in 2018 there were 55 deaths at a school. The second highest year was 1993 at 40... So an additional 15 people creates a clickbait headline "most people on record killed in school shootings"

While tragic, these are hardly statistically significant numbers when taken in context of all gun deaths and the overall US population. Almost 40,000 people die every year from guns. The vast majority of which are suicides. To keep things simple, let's exclude the suicide numbers and we are left with about 14,600 people who are straight up murdered with guns.

So we have 55 deaths at school related shootings out of 14,600 overall shootings. To put things in perspective... there were 86 deaths from bee stings in 2018. So more people died from bee stings than in school shootings. In fact, cows kill about 20 people. Deer about 50 people a year...

Are you still sure you want to continue this debate?
edit on 9-5-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

if we are resorting to name calling, feel free to carry on

I at no point aimed a personal low blow at your inteligence

Do you think there were more deaths in US schools or UK schools last year, or the year before, or the year before.

I have an opinion equal to yours, wether you agree with it or not, but as you opened on a put down, i will retire

Oh and statistics are not my thing, must make me dumb dumb

List of school shootings in the United States
edit on 9-5-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: link

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

And the idea of children dying at school in gun related shootings is very tragic, but do we have statistics on how many children are caught in the crossfire and die to gang related shootings every year?

Are those deaths less tragic because they don't occur in school?

Not only that, but how many of those gang related shootings are carried out by kids on other kids? (and maybe not under 10 in this case, but younger teens)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The implication was in this paragraph, I believe.

In short I think guns and humans dont mix, I find the contempt to firearm opponents quite odd,I dont point a deadly weapon at people when discussing freedom, but hey its your birthright to shoot at each other.

It's an enumerated right to keep and bear arms, by the way, not a right to shoot at others. My rights end where others begin. I think that any moron who advocated for the right to actually shoot at others (absent a clear threat to life/limb) would be universally condemned by responsible gun owners.

The contempt of firearm opponents comes from the fact that they are attempting to use government force to infringe upon the right to self defense of otherwise innocent law-abiding people.

Government's sole purpose is to protect the rights of the individual.
edit on 5-9-2019 by cynicalheathen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join