It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Cubs ban hand gesture

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The cubs have decided to ban a hand gesture that is apparently a white supremacy sign.

Doug glanville, a former player that is black, was doing a report on the field when a fan made the sign behind him.

www.google.com...

I would post the picture but I dont know how from my phone....ha

Now I have a feeling that the fan flashing the symbol had no idea it was racist.
I didnt know.

Oh yeah.
The symbol he fashed.
Know what it was?

An ok sign made with your fingers...
Upside down...

When I was in school, long time ago, if you looked at it you got a slug in the arm.

Its racist now?
When did that happen?

Is this an overreaction?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

When I was in school, long time ago, if you looked at it you got a slug in the arm.

Lucky, when I was in school it was a nut shot if you looked.

It's an OK hand signal. If your mouth is full and a server asks how everything is, sometimes I shoot the OK hand symbol. Frankly, I'll continue to do so as this whole thing is asinine.

Whats next, thumbs up?

Someone better not tell these virtue signalers that nazis breath and drink water.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   
In an ultimate backfire, a group on reddit wanted to troll the media a few years ago and spread the word that it was a racist symbol.

The problem was it caught on with actual white supremacy groups as well. Oops.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I'm a cubs fan so I've read a little bit about this. I'm not going to call the guy a racist - - my impression was that he knew what he was doing, but did it kind of as a dare - - he knew where he was sitting and told his buddies, "hey, watch the game, I'm going to be down on field level - - dare me to try to make the white supremacy sign?" But like you, I had no idea it was a white supremacy sign until I heard about this - - now the circle game....yeah, played that as a kid!

But, actions have consequences. Banned for life - - might be a touch harsh without actually talking to the guy.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CalibratedZeus

In an ultimate backfire, a group on reddit wanted to troll the media a few years ago and spread the word that it was a racist symbol.

Don't give me ideas. My mind is a malicious bastard when it's bored, and I may just take thumbs up away from everyone.

*Thumbs up signifies a stick of dynamite to nazi white nationalists. First you do the OK symbol with your hand, then you do thumbs up which means things are about to blow and we're going to rise up. Thumbs up are typically done right before an incident, so anyone seen doing it must be apprehended*

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: acparker7

I agree they should talk to the guy first.

Racism needs to be taken seriously but at least find out what's going on first.

But if I had to guess I'd lean that this guy didnt know it was considered a racist symbol.
edit on 9-5-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: CalibratedZeus

Does that mean even if so called "white supremacists" stole the original intent of the symbol that the idiots triggered by it, should BAN the use of it?

I guess we should BAN oxygen too since without oxygen white supremacists rely on oxygen to live??

Too many people have been turned by our Department of ZEDucation! Honk Honk

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

And compare the actions that the Cubs took against this fan, making one questionable gesture resulting in a lifetime ban to the tweets from the Brewers reliever Josh Hader - - what he said was much worse (in my opinion) and all he had to do was go through sensitivity training. No suspension or anything to my knowledge. Not saying either team handled it rightly or wrongly, but vastly different "punishments". I'm curious how the Cubs would punish one of their players doing/saying something similar to what this fan did. In most instances I tend to be a second chances guy, especially when it comes to stupid things people say and do when they are younger.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: acparker7

Making an example of a fan is ok.

But players are money makers so they have different rules.

Dont you remember high school?
Athletes "especially stars" had a different rule book.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

It did not catch on with actual white supremacy groups. God you are as duped as can be. Show me some pics of these supposed white supremacy groups using the ok sign as some secret message.

Man, I just can't take it anymore. This is truly a clown world.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Honk Honk gets more fitting every day.

What a joke society is turning into.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

It did not catch on with actual white supremacy groups. God you are as duped as can be. Show me some pics of these supposed white supremacy groups using the ok sign as some secret message.

Honk Honk.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: CalibratedZeus

Don't give me ideas. My mind is a malicious bastard when it's bored, and I may just take thumbs up away from everyone.

*Thumbs up signifies a stick of dynamite to nazi white nationalists. First you do the OK symbol with your hand, then you do thumbs up which means things are about to blow and we're going to rise up. Thumbs up are typically done right before an incident, so anyone seen doing it must be apprehended*

Are you on crack? The "thumbs up" symbol is really a misogynistic way of men forcing their penal attitudes in everyone's face. It is a sick and sexually harassing symbol of an erection!

Ban it, for the sake of the children.

/sarc

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

What do you expect? This is a world where the Cubs have fans.

(post by cognizant420 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

What do you expect? This is a world where the Cubs have fans.

Uh, what?

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
a reply to: Krakatoa
[snipped] Has nothing to do with anything racial.

Where did I infer it was racial?? Please point that out for me here. Unless, you think misogyny is limited to one one particular skin color. If you do, you have a serious problem IMO.

edit on Thu May 9 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Dang near everything was a nut shot when I was in school. I wonder if they would construe that as sexual harassment these days? Probably racist too, since it was only the white dudes doing it.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

No, it didn't... but a lot of puppeteers out there are sure thrilled to see you dance and be so gullible. An OK hand gesture is just that, a OK hand gesture. If it's pointing down, it is the circle game. No cadre of white supremecists are dropping OK gestures at each other as a form of code talk, despite the exciteable asshats who believe it to be so.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Everything is racist. If I remember right 4chan created the hysteria to show how crazy liberals are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join