It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Footage of Sandra Bland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Back in 2015, a story broke about a woman who allegedly hung herself in jail. Her name was Sandra Bland. She was arrested and put in jail for resisting arrest after a failure to signal traffic stop. She allegedly hung herself in jail, and her death was ruled a suicide.

Her family sued for 1.9 million dollars and won, but new footage came out of the arrest. Her family said that this new footage was never given to them as required during trials or court cases.

It appears that Sandra was an activist and filmed traffic stops herself. The footage basically shows an extremely aggressive cop who forced Sandra out of the car under threat of being tazed. "I will light you up" he says. The cop's statement was that he was afraid for his saftey and that's why he did those actions. The footage clearly contradicts his statement. Luckily the cop was fired and agreed to never work as a cop again.

She talked about taking him to court during her confrontation. What i believe may have happened is that the cop (and maybe others) framed her suicide because they were tired of hearing her threaten to sue and not submitting to their power. I wouldn't doubt if race played a role as well. Just look at how aggressive the cop acts in public for a simple turn signal stop.

I can't be sure her suicide was murder, but this certainly adds to the growing trend of cops having a "get out of jail free" card. This also doesn't help the notion of racist cops across the country.

Article link Contains more video and information.

Unable to link videos using ATS, but here are the links :
Sandra's cell phone footage (new):
youtu.be...
Police Arrest Footage (old) :
youtu.be...

There are more videos on YouTube, including jail footage. I am also now seeing that some people think jail footage and original arrest footage was edited. .

edit on 8-5-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

June 28, 2017

The perjury charge against Mr. Encinia stemmed from a one-page affidavit that he filed with jail officials justifying Ms. Bland’s arrest. Mr. Encinia wrote in the affidavit that he removed her from her car to more safely conduct a traffic investigation, but the grand jury found that statement to be false, according to special prosecutors who handled the case.

The dismissal of the perjury charge was tied to an agreement prosecutors had with Mr. Encinia. In the agreement — which was signed by prosecutors, the judge, Mr. Encinia and his lawyers — Mr. Encinia agreed to end his career as a law enforcement officer in exchange for the dismissal of the charge

Link

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Brian Encinia was 30 years old at the time of the incident... He graduated from Texas A&M University in 2008 with a degree in agricultural leadership and development.

From 2008 to 2014, he held a position with Blue Bell Creameries as an ingredient-processing supervisor. Prior to his employment as a state trooper in 2014, he served as a volunteer firefighter

en.wikipedia.org...

His work experience was as an ice cream man. How could we expect him to handle this any better.
edit on 5/8/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

I agree that this cop was an #hole and did deserve to get charged with perjury, which was dropped in exchange for his promise never to be a cop again.

Yes, there are racist cops, because there are unfortunately racist people in this world. However, most cops are not racist and I don't think it's right to assume that Sandra was murdered.

The video clip below shows Sandra being treated respectfully when she was booked.

She had also attempted suicide in the past, because she suffered from bouts of depression. The Waller County Jail did not treat her past mental health issues seriously, which resulted in her suicide. Their neglect resulted in her death and a $1.9 million judgement for her family. How exactly would this recently discovered clip have changed things?

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Well, it wasn't given to the family during court and I believe other things are coming to light. Basically indicating that there was suppression of evidence.

I don't know if the cops killed her or not. I don't think a history of depression ends the story and solves the case. However, I do agree that this footage is not going to change things.

edit on 8-5-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   

This is the first I’ve heard of this. I must admit I’m ignorant with the details of this case.
But from the 2 videos I’ve just watched - police dash cam, and then cell phone, it appears the officer was intentionally trying to escalate the situation.

I’m all for police being recorded when things like this take place.
What I don’t like is the fear of being recorded impeding an officers actions.
It’s a real careful balancing act the boys in blue must adhere to.

Some people are cut out for the position and make the areas they patrol a safer stronger community.
others like this ex ice cream man, playing tough guy with a badge make me sick.

I’m really happy that hear in Canada not just anyone can become an officer.
There’s mandatory police foundations schooling, tedious background checks, ethics exams going as far as asking if you’ve ever reported on a person you’ve witnessed using narcotics.
How you would react if you had a family member confide they are users... some pretty deep stuff.
Like I said, some can do the job.
Others, horribly fail at it like this clown.
edit on 8-5-2019 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I've seen enough of these types of "activist" videos to know that these activists often instigate confrontations with cops and antagonize them until things get out of control. That's probably not a good way to confront something you have an issue with.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
She was a total argumentative bitch throughout the footage I watched and heard. She did everything she could to aggravate him (she was very good at it) and succeeded in making him lose control. So what were the awful things he did to her? He yelled at her, told her to get out of the car (which she refused to do), told her over and over to stop struggling and finally threw her to the ground. Oh, the humanity! She was arguing and belittling him every moment. I can’t imagine living with a bitch like that.

Cops are human, too. If you continuously heap abuse on someone like he’s a stone without feelings it’s very possible he’ll react. She was deliberately goading him and I don’t feel a bit of pity for her. Her family loved her so much they wouldn’t pay $500 to bail her out so she committed suicide. Then they remembered how much they cared and sued for millions.

I wouldn’t be a cop for any amount of money. Too many jerks like Saint Bland to deal with and you literally go wherever people are doing the very worst things known.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I don't know/remember enough about her case to comment specifically about it; but....

Suicide is far and away the leading cause of death is jails, in all nations. (The second leading cause is fire, because inmates will set fire to their mattresses as prelude to an uprising or escape, and there is no substance from which you can make a mattress that does not give off toxic fumes when ignited.)

While I am not saying there weren't complicating issues in her case, it is true that a lot of prisoners are at enhanced risk of suicide when they realize that they are 1) facing hard time for a serious offense, 2) realize that they have embarrassed themselves or especially their family, or 3) they realize that that are crimes they have committed are about to be exposed. The classic example is a person who is jailed for public intoxication, and commits suicide before they are even assigned a cell. What the papers don't report is that the person got drunk when they realized they were about to be caught embezzling from their job, and that while they are in jail, the their boss will figure it out, and they'll go away for big time.

So if I were investigating her death for the state, I'd begin with what else did she have in her life that might make her suicidal? could be anything---an abusive lover, money problems (if the cop said this would cost her 25K...), or knowing that there's a warrant for her from another state that will be activated by her being in jail here and now... It could be anything, and impossible to predict.

Every coin has two sides. Three if you count the rim.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Would this have been avoided entirely had the woman not been confrontational, belligerent, and trying to incite something more than a simple traffic stop?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

I wouldn’t be a cop ...

Thank you. There are already enough who have don't have people skills.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

The real problem is that we as a society have totally unrealistic expectations of police. We expect them to deal with all the snap we can't and decide to call 9-1-1. Like a meth-head who is twisting off. You know the overriding characteristic of a meth-head who is about to assault a cop? they get more and more belligerent, and whatever you say to calm them down just ramps them up... Like Ms. Bland???

We expect our cops to deal with all of the dangerous people that scare us, but do it like Boy Scouts or hall monitors.

The prime example was Eric Gardiner, the African American who was selling "loosies" (individual cigarettes) to children in public. The 5 police arrested him, he resisted, and he was dead when the cops got up off him from the dog-pile. His last words? "I can't breathe!"

His words before that? "I am NOT going to jail today!"

2 of the cops that arrested him were African Americans. His family still sued because of racist cops. who "killed Eric" for illegally selling cigarettes....

What are the police supposed to do--walk away until the assailant is in a better mood? Take a beating?

Every answer from the anti-law-and-order crowd is this: Put the arrestee in charge of the encounter.

edit on 30-5-2019 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

And another thing.

When a cop makes poor choices, it proves that all cops are out-of-control and have no people skills.

When the perp makes poor choices, it's not supposed to count.

Still end up with bodies on the ground; we've just quit holding civilian adults responsible for their choice individually, and made cops responsible, collectively, for every perp's bad choices.
edit on 30-5-2019 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Cops have bad days like everyone else. Let’s say you’re a cop who had a fight with your wife this morning, or you’re facing money problems, or you found out your kid is smoking weed, or you’ve already encountered obnoxious citizens today, then Sandra Bland suddenly enters your life. She just might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Just because we have the legal right to verbally abuse a cop doesn’t always make it right. Some times cops deserve the abuse; I’ve known and encountered some who shouldn’t have been wearing a badge. But too many people like to blame cops for their own misdeeds, which in Bland’s case were minor traffic violations. All she had to do was treat the officer with the same respect he showed her at the beginning of their encounter. Chances are, if she had been polite and sheepishly owned up to the violation, he might have let her go with a warning. But no, she had to exude attitude and show complete disrespect, which no one likes. Perhaps he wasn’t cut out to be a cop, because you have to have a really thick skin to deal with the Sandra Blands of the world and not lose your temper. Thank God there are men and women willing to stomach the insults, low pay and high stress that go with the job. Otherwise, we’d have to settle all our problems ourselves, and that could get quite ugly.

top topics

join