It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump lost $1.17 Billion between 1985 and 1994

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Because if he was charged with tax evasion it would be public record.

you are beyond delusional
he has not broken any laws
the whole russia event was a set up and is being exposed as such currently

but keep up your bad orange man shtick it is turning blue voters red

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Pretty sure the goal of every rich persons tax return is to take a loss. At least on paper.
edit on 8-5-2019 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Devastation !!!

Democrats will take this all the way to the bottom and still have the hooks in their mouths 😎

They will bite a bare hook at this point.
The story I heard last night was that they got this info from a source (not named) that had access to the tax info at some point.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

So the NYT broke a story about a story they broke in 1995.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I've long stated in this particular debate that Trump has nothing to gain by showing his tax returns and the NY Times is demonstrating why.

The Slimes article is written with a tone implying that his losses were nefarious. However, the times does not really distinguish between monetary and non-monetary losses nor all the legit rules, shelters, and other arcane tax filing approaches that large businesses and extremely wealthy individuals employ.

The biggest issue is that you can generate a loss as a business, particularly in real estate, with depreciation. Depreciation is a paper loss, not a monetary loss. Anyone who has owned investment properties (even a small single rental unit) is aware of how depreciation works to lower your tax liability.

I have a lot of clients whose tax returns I see who own real estate investments. I'd venture 90% of them show losses through depreciation on tax returns. In fact, when you apply for a mortgage and your income is analyzed, DEPRECIATION IS ADDED BACK TO THE INCOME because underwriters know it isn't an actual loss.

Further, as any first year MBA student will also tell you.... EBITDA is what is typically analyzed when looking at businesses... Earnings BEFORE interest, taxes, and DEPRECIATION.....

The only reason Democrats want to see Trumps tax returns is to use it as ammunition for class warfare. If you recall from the 2012 election, they used the same playbook against Mitt Romney because most of his income was from carried interest and capital gains.

The typical voter making $50k/yr working 9 to 5 who gets their taxes done at HR & Block doesn't understand any of this stuff and it is easy to spin it so that they think some rich guy is getting over on them even though that rich guy may be following the IRS rules to the letter.

edit on 8-5-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

everything old is new again........
these trends run in cycles, don't throw away those bell bottoms man

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Google just lost 70 billion in two years so why does this matter at all for any reason. These stupid stories make me want to bash my head on my keyboard.

Whoooo cares

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yes. Tesla lost $702 million last quarter.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Yes. Tesla lost $702 million last quarter.

Yes but musk is a hero.
Trump is a zero.

See the difference?

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Trump tweets

“Real estate developers in the 1980’s & 1990’s, more than 30 years ago, were entitled to massive write offs and depreciation which would, if one was actively building, show losses and tax losses in almost all cases. Much was non monetary. Sometimes considered “tax shelter,” ......”

“..you would get it by building, or even buying. You always wanted to show losses for tax purposes....almost all real estate developers did - and often re-negotiate with banks, it was sport. Additionally, the very old information put out is a highly inaccurate Fake News hit job!”

twitter.com...

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSteppenwolf

If I remember correctly the Canadian real estate business Olympia and York went bankrupt around that time.
They were the largest landlord in New York.

Trump survived

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hillary lost $1.2Bn in the course of her campaign.

It took ten years for Trump to lose that much. And it was likely recovered.

Hillary will never see that money again.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

It matters to the collectivists who think losses = character flaw.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: vonclod

Oh it was beyond the norm. So beyond that he actually lost more money than anyone else in the whole country.
The biggest loser. Lost so much that he avoided paying any taxes for eight out of ten years.
Now we just need to know how his accountants handled that.

But we dont need to see his taxes right? Right? RIGHT?

Sure, it would be interesting to confirm, but to what end really? I have no love for him, but at this point it's beating a dead horse..I don't think any of this is new info. This will not change how his base views him.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Neither will Saudi Arabia...

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rewey

originally posted by: projectvxn

Neither will Saudi Arabia...

And Ukraine... and Russia... and China... the list goes on....

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   

This is news? I thought this was all fairly well known at the time?

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I look at it this way...if I had 1.17 billion dollars to lose, and STILL didn't end up living in a van down by the river, I'd consider myself a damn successful businessman.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

This is news? I thought this was all fairly well known at the time?

This is the same New York Times story published in October 2016. It was called the October surprise that would keep Donald Trump from winning.

The New York Times published the story and then cranked that stupid odds meter up to 90% for Hillary beating Trump.

It didn't work so they reach back into the bag and published the story again yesterday.

Also, the New York Times hailed Donald Trump as one of the greatest businessman around in 1995.

mobile.twitter.com...
edit on 5/8/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: carewemust

What a comeback story for LIFE MOTIVATION book writers to use.

Yeah. Lie to get financing. Because your actual financial statements suck.

Perfect.
What evidence do you have that he lied to get financing?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join