It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sprouting Old Seeds

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: InTheLight

Did you soak the peas in water for a bit before planting?

No, they went right into a very rich nourishing soaked soil mixture at the time of planting. And they did sprout, but didn't do well after that point.
edit on 17CDT10America/Chicago042101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I have some seeds for these:

en.wikipedia.org...

Too late for this year so will try next year.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Oh. Just too old then? I know the feeling!

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

That seems like a wonderful tomatoe type because I find the roma tomatoes I use in my sauce are very acidic and I have to add a little sugar or carrots to even it out. Something to think about for next year, thanks.
edit on 17CDT10America/Chicago045101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 17CDT10America/Chicago045101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I bought some in the supermarket - Lidl - and liked them so much i saved/dried some seeds. i think these are the ones that go into canned plum tomatoes.

So many tomatoes you buy are tasteless these days.

i love the fruit and veg I buy on hols in Greece - knobbly lemons and proper tomatoes and stuff. would not sell in mainstream supermarkets here because they are obsessed with all fruit and veg looking exactly the same.

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I bought some in the supermarket - Lidl - and liked them so much i saved/dried some seeds. i think these are the ones that go into canned plum tomatoes.

So many tomatoes you buy are tasteless these days.

i love the fruit and veg I buy on hols in Greece - knobbly lemons and proper tomatoes and stuff. would not sell in mainstream supermarkets here because they are obsessed with all fruit and veg looking exactly the same.

Indeed, your wiki source did mention that that particular type of tomatoe's seeds are viable.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Will give them a go. Have tried various chillis from seed, sowing early indoors in january etc. Just a few mouldy chillis. this year bought some young plants for a £1 each and now have loads of chillis.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

en.wikipedia.org...

That seems like a wonderful tomatoe type because I find the roma tomatoes I use in my sauce are very acidic and I have to add a little sugar or carrots to even it out. Something to think about for next year, thanks.

Funny, the only tomato plant I have that's going crazy this year is the Roma (a friend started that one)... I'll be making lots of sauce here in the coming weeks.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Hey - post a sauce recipe?

Ta.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Ok, sure!

I think I'll have to get back to you on the specifics here, but I have a great simple sauce that can be frozen and used as a base for all types of sauces later.

Only ingredients to this one are tomatoes (8 cups per batch), sugar, salt, and tomato paste... put tomatoes in a large pot and simmer, covered for 15 mins before adding sugar/salt (I'll get back to you on how much) then uncovered for 15 mins. I think the paste goes in last.
Let cool then blend, then strain out seeds and skin and it's ready to freeze or use.

Very good and simple and you can dress it up with garlic and fresh herbs or carrot, celery, onion, garlic and ground beef/pork when you prepare it later. I've used it as a base for pizza sauces also.

I'll get back to ya on details... great idea about the San Marzanos too!

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

That's great - thanks.

How do you measure a cup of tomatoes?

Here is a slightly tongue in cheek rant about US measurements for Brits - posted as humour - don't take it the wrong way!

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Oh LOL... this was funny!

And the author is so right in that baking with a bunch of cups and spoons gets messy and annoying, and quickly so!

Though I'd definitely have to question the opinion of the American chef that cups are considered American and scales communist... haha. Never personally felt too patriotic when baking, especially with all the french pastries I love to make. Maybe if I started making more apple pies I'd feel different.

As for your very valid question...

(Btw these tomatoes are coarsly chopped-- failed to mention that). Just kind of scoop em on in and approximate... works for me!

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Aha! Chopped. Of course. I was wondering how you get many whole tomatoes into a cup.

French pastries? Don't you mean "Freedom pastries"?

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I never did find that recipe but tried it anyway based on memory and it turned out great.

8 cups chopped tomatoes
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon tomato paste

Simmer the tomatoes on low, covered for about 15 minutes before uncovering, adding salt and sugar, and cooking for an additional 15 mins uncovered.

Add the tomato paste at the end.

Use a fine strainer to remove seeds and skins.

After that you can use or freeze the base, but I sauteed garlic in some olive oil, added some fresh chopped basil, and simmered on low for about 10-15 minutes and it was delicious.

edit on 10-9-2019 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join