It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Nuclear survivors say they were fed lies in government cover-ups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Survivors of the 51st anniversary of the hydrogen bomb test at the Bikini Atoll have accused the United States government of engaging in a concerted effort to lie about the effects of radiation. The accusation came at a meeting of two groups exposed to radiation in the Marshall Islands. Cover-ups and lies by the government resulted in increased exposure the groups claim and have drawn parallels to the initial Chernobyl cover-up.

story.news.yahoo.com
MAJURO (AFP) - Survivors of two severe cases of nuclear contamination met in the Marshall Islands to mark the 51st anniversary of the first US hydrogen bomb test at Bikini Atoll, and accused authorities of lying about the effects of radiation.

"The reason the exposure was so bad is that we were lied to all the time," Dr Lyudmyla Porokhnyak, a survivor of the world's worst nuclear disaster at Chernobyl in 1986, told a conference on raising awareness of radiation dangers.

Marshall Islanders nodded in agreement, confirming what they saw as the similarities between the two experiences.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The islands of Enewetak, Rongelap, Utrik and Bikini were heavily contaminated in the series of tests and the inhabitants of the island were moved about like cattle to other areas. The government both Republican and Democrat alike has historical engaged in cover-ups and outright lies about the atomic programs from the dawn of the Manhattan project till now. From the Trinity test where several ranchers in and around the blast site were not evacuated and were monitored for exposure over thier short lifetimes to those who witnessed tests, alot of exposures were covered up and ignored. The government persists in this to this day. From Clinton on to Bush every year the sitting president of the United States has signed an exemption for the Groom lake/Area 51 that allows the environmental laws of the U.S. to be ignored.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

The government both Republican and Democrat alike has historical engaged in cover-ups and outright lies about the atomic programs from the dawn of the Manhattan project till now.

Good story Fred.

Time for some accountability. Now.

And time to stop spreading nuclear waste and contaminating the planet even more. This our home. Time to clean it up. And own up to our responsibilities.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I wonder who is the ones that the governments are protecting when they lie to the people, what is more important that taking responsibilities for the well being of the people involve in these type of contaminations

The covert ups are also against our own people and troops too, look at the gulf war syndrom, the government is still covering for that too, now this one hit home with me.

It's outrageous.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This story is yet another example of how those in government seem to have adopted the belief and policy that they are somehow separate and apart from those they serve, and to whom they owe their very status as government personnel, i.e. every single citizen of this country.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here is a question:
When the testings were going on during that time period, did we know all the effects of radiation exposure as we do today?

My reason for asking is not to excuse what happened or took place or to down grade what the survivors of these horrific tests are implying, but merely to wonder if even the government was fully aware of what I have asked.

All we (the US) had to go on was Nagasaki and Hiroshima and those findings were still being studied at the time. Some of those tests were to see how ships would react in a nuclear environment or how troops and structures would fully react, etc. The atomic/nuclear program was still in the infancy stages and I think likewise, so was the full scope, understanding, and knowledge of the devastating effects of a atomic/nuclear blast and subsequent radiation exposures.

Just wondering, not downplaying.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Here is a question:
When the testings were going on during that time period, did we know all the effects of radiation exposure as we do today?

Seekerof,

I believe that they did. In the research I am doing on the Manhattan Project (Working on my history masters) there is alot of evidence that from the Manhattan Project on, alot of workers were not treated at the various plants and simply monitoered for symptoms. Now at that time it may have been a grey area, but by the time of the Bikini blasts, the dangers of radiation should have been well known.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This part of your dissertation/thesis or another thesis/research paper?
Definately not my field of study, but interesting nonetheless, FredT.

You used the phrase that I was looking for: "grey area." Thanks for the mention.

I'm in no way doubting what you are saying, not in the least bit, what you mention is certainly interesting. I think the reason I mentioned what I did was because we (the US) were not only testing humans (troops/soldiers) but fixed structures (houses, etc.), military equipment (planes, tanks, etc.), animals, sea/ocean going vessels (mainly naval vessels), atmospheric, underwater, and surface ocean water testings. That leads me to really wonder/ponder about just how much they (the US) knew and exactly how large that "grey area' was. The testings were not only used to gauge and measure yields but perhaps to determine the effects (fall out radius, radiation levels, etc.) of those yields. I do believe that the Russia (the USSR at the time) did alot of the identical test after they acquired an atomic/nuclear device in 1949.

Again, just wondering.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Here is a question:
seekerof

Seekerof,

I think they were fully aware of the effects of radiation exposure, though not likely to the degree we do today. However, from my understanding, if the test had gone as planned, the fallout wouldn't have reached the islanders of Rongelap, Rongerik, Ailingae and Utirik. But Bravo was more successful than they expected... the fireball was 4 miles wife, it had a 15 megaton yield, which was three times greater than expected. The unexpected force of the blast created more fallout than they apparently anticipated and it covered the islands leading the exposure in question.

Rayon William, a Rongelap Islander, said she returned home with other islanders when US authorities said it was safe in 1957. But she said the food she ate then was laced with radioactivity from the test three years earlier.

Apparently, according to Robert Conard (of Brookhaven labs) they let the Rongelese return to their island in 1957 as soon as possible due to the AEC facing internation pressure, and because that is what the Rongelese wanted, despite warnings. Also, keep in mind them returning to the Island was only allowed when the residual radtion on the island was in a safe level.

As for the food, from accounts I've read, despite warnings of strontium 90 contamination of coconut crabs, the Rongelese continued to consume them, as they were considered a delicacy.

I'm not meaning to say that what happened isn't horrible, as it is. It shouldn't have happened.

I just think the article is quite onesided; a lot of stuff is left out.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The testings were not only used to gauge and measure yields but perhaps to determine the effects (fall out radius, radiation levels, etc.) of those yields. I do believe that the Russia (the USSR at the time) did alot of the identical test after they acquired an atomic/nuclear device in 1949.

Are you wondering if they purposely allowed the Islanders to be exposed to fallout, Seekerof?

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Here is a question:

My reason for asking is not to excuse what happened or took place or to down grade what the survivors of these horrific tests are implying, but merely to wonder if even the government was fully aware of what I have asked.

After Linus Pauling described the a and b structures of protein folding in 1950 - he identified radiation's destructive effects on cells very well. As a result, the FBI blacklisted and hounded him, doing everything possible to destroy his reputation and credibility. ...Other scientists also described radiations effects on cells - but even today, tests like CT scans have become routine, even though the level of radiation is known absolutely to be dangerous.

...so it's not ignorance that's causing it.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
No, parrhesia

I guess I am just thinking and commenting 'out-loud' on this.
My apologies to FredT if I am taking this slightly off-topic.

Again, I am not downplaying this matter.
I am not saying that the US was not fully aware. The degree of awareness (the "grey area") is what I am wondering about. It is tragically apparent that the US government did not fully disclose what needed to be. The US government has a practice of doing such. That, I am also aware of.

As such, I am aware of the controversy of those island inhabitants, etc.

seekerof

[edit on 2-3-2005 by Seekerof]

top topics

join