It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF is up with the autocorrect/dictionary on this site with Chrome/Chromium?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 01:46 AM
link   
IDK if this is linked to the browser, the site, the OS (I'm running a Linux distro) but I usually use Chrome or Chromium for this site and many others. I also user firefox for some other forums and I don't seem to have the same problems with the word suggestions when I right click a work underlined in red. What is odd is that both Chromium/Chrome are Google products so I would think they would draw from a Google database/algorithm to detect what people might be trying to say. But it is wrong ~80-90% of the time and about 50%+ the word isn't even on the list, and these are common words.

Now if I highlight the word and select "search in google" I get the correct work about 70-85% of the time, because some times the words are so close to another word, there is good reason to think it is something else - but the word that was suggested, wasn't even on the browsers offering! And when I really butcher a word or even something like "appearant" - the word I'm looking for isn't even on the list, so I search in google and the first offering is "did you mean "apparent" - well yes I did - and Thank you!
Here is what Chromium suggests for the word:
appearant
appear ant
appear-ant
appearance

Here is what Firefox suggests:

appearant
appear ant
appear-ant
appearance
apparent (this was added after emailing & posting Firefox boards 2-3 years ago and complaining a lot...)

If I highlight appearant, right click and select "search google" the first thing that appears is "did you mean apparent" and the word it a link to a new page with the definition and such,

This is just one example of how messed up the auto selection of words is on browsers or OS's - I'd like to know what is in control of offering the words.

This is almost as bad as my cellphone when I type out a word b/c it isn't' offered, usually a LONG word like 8-16 letters and when I hit the space bar it changes the word to whatever it thinks you meant. Sometimes I wish Siri (or alexa or any other $h!t "AI's") was real so I could run her over with my car or do the scene from GOT (battle of the bastards) -I'd be Ramsey and Siri would be Ricken...

I've taken the same text and placed it Firefox and did the same thing. It did a MUCH better job of selecting the right word as the first choice probably about 50-70% of the time.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

It is appearant appear antappear- antappearance

apparent to me that you have too much time

on your hands?

edit on 6-5-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Autocorrection is almost a scourge but for some it is a boon, I am English so (AND SO) to me Colour is the correct spelling and there are innumerable other time's that Chromium has been a pain the proverbial arse.

But I had this debate with myself for some time, which is the correct form of English - not that my own grammar or syntax is (ARE point made) that good or that I don't make typing errors - I do actually (should be I ACTUALLY DO) very often indeed.

It turn's out that while I may correctly use the spelling Centre, Colour and indeed several other's that jump to mind the alternative Phonetic spelling used by most of the world thanks to the Saturation of Americanization's such as Center, Color etc are equally correct.

Also if you use Chrome then try Edge or IE then they handle those spelling check's differently, Indeed Edge on Windows 10 is actually correct for my regional location as far as those spelling's are concerned and will flag up American phonetic spelling's were they differ from the correct (In England) spelling's as wrong while vice versa Chromium seems at least for me to prefer the American form's.

Here is the truth though,.

Neither is correct or incorrect though in most cases the English Spelling is actually the original and older - though that is not actually always the case as some of these spelling's have a very variable history and word's and meaning's change over time to at least some degree.

It is awfully annoying though to say the least at time's.
You can usually turn autocorrection of though or likely though I may not be an expert in it there may be a method to update your Chrome install's localization setting's but be careful as while rare this can lead to some incompatibility's with some web site's.

edit on 6-5-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Lol. I hear ya but I gotta ask. ( the bad american grammar is intentional)
All the UK speaks English.
Australia speaks English.
New Zealand speaks English.
South Africa speaks English.
Canada speaks English.
but America ... we speak American. We've been ex-communicated.
You guys just wont forgive us for that revolution will ya?

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

I thought the spell check was device originated.
I have a different set up from my tablet to my PC.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: LABTECH767

Lol. I hear ya but I gotta ask. ( the bad american grammar is intentional)
All the UK speaks English.
Australia speaks English.
New Zealand speaks English.
South Africa speaks English.
Canada speaks English.
but America ... we speak American. We've been ex-communicated.
You guys just wont forgive us for that revolution will ya?

Thanks for that made me chuckle.

Some actually do have that attitude I am however not one of them.

What you have to remember is most TV and movies these day's is either american or pretends to be so.

The other thing is most of this TV has portrayed a version of America that the world would love to live in or to live like BUT which I am assured by a friend whom went there for a couple of years and whose cousin has a ranch down in Texas the real place is actually nothing like.

I would not say you are ex communicated from the English world though, more that your version of the written language has actually taken pre-eminence in much of the world today with the spread of US produced media content and now the internet age - though let's be fair the kid's have an entirely new language all of there own with half spelled word's and abbreviations that sound to those of us whom are a little older like martian or something, language that would probably burn out a computer trying to decode it and that is something you can not really blame America or us or any other nation for.

What I would say is all the argument about how to spell our shared language's word's has really done is actually eventually to make us adopt more Americanization and Americanism's though actually you know the average North American is far more understandable when they speak even than some of our own regional Dialect's over here in the UK were some of us speak our own language far less clearly.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Don't most browsers and word processors have an option to set the language? You can set it to British English if you want.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I've successfully used highlight/right click/auto correct

Your auto-correct should be easy. No?

True, it may give you options...but the a. c. usually is pretty right-on.

new topics

top topics

join