It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone ever filed for a patent? I need help doing this and don't have FU lawyer money.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I have a good idea for an invention/process that I would like to apply for a patent. The idea consists of two main parts, the application of known/understood tech (that hasn't been used in this manner from what i can find) and the additive - a chemical added to make the process /work. Or a mix of chemicals that that are safe when used together (proven by other products). The additive is safe and is used in hundreds of similar applications but this one has a unique way of making use of it, and a much better way of doing so.

I don't foresee any issues with the chemical formula being held up by regulations b/c there are already similar compounds on the market, in my case it is how it is applied, when, for how long ad more..

I've gone to some of those "inventors clubs" where a company basically helps you get a patent for like $25-50,000 (up front) and then a large chunk of profits on the back end not to mention they get all kinds of controlling interest, you no longer own your invention. I walked out on the meeting, I'm sorry I did b/c I would have liked to see what else they would have demanded. They offered marketing and product placement, all in horrendous free magazines that no one would read - the best use for them would be to start a fire, but it fulfills their contract.

So, it looks like I'm stuck doing this on o own. I have about 20 idea just waiting to get some work done on them and maybe put them through to production, though many of them I would need help with as there are areas well outside of my specialty - I'm a good idea guy and good at production, if I have the skills to do so - but finding people who have skills I'm lacking can be difficult (especially when when working on a secret project - I'm not very trusting of NDA's just look at Stormy/Trump - how the hell can she just decide not ot honor it? Woman's prerogative or what?.

So if anyone has any experience with patents, I'd be EXTREMELY grateful for any information about what I should do. What to file, if there is a way to get the "rights to the idea" by writing it out & making blue prints & getting it notarized or anything like that.

As for testing, I'm not worried that this will fail. I've used both processes before but never put them together and I know they will work brilliantly and I know there is a large market for this.

Also, I try to stay away from things like "shark tank". I'd rather get investors organically through some old family and college connections. I just don't want to waste $ on an attorney to file 4 documents (Fed charges maybe total of $155 for all 4) who then charges me $1500-2500 because "there is so much little stuff that people miss and can go wrong) - I just got this speech about creating a fictitious name - $1000 for that ($09 state fee and a 3 page document an intelligent 6th grader could fill out).

So any help on the patent issue I would be very very grateful!

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Visit the Patent and Trademark office . Because if you want to market it as your brand, it will also require a trademark for your protection.

They have a very easy to navigate website that outlines exactly how you need to draw up your patent for submission. It has to be drawn and written in a very specific manner. Application and search is also available there.

I had something I was going too patent in the early 2000's but I was about 5 years too late to make it a viable product as the niche service it catered to evolved technologically and its function was basically obsolete as of 2010.

In any case, good luck! Hopefully I will be buying your brand off a store shelf in a few years

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   

An inventor. I knew we we have a lot in common.

You can get a Provisional Patent for about $600. The catch being you have ONE year to get your ducks in a row and make some money to pay for a Proper Patent, OR ELSE anyone else gets to file a Proper Patent in your place. Being (surely liquid product) chem domain it'd be massive domestic interests (Dow etc) would snatch it up.

Meanwhile Chinese interests would already be steadfast in producing it and selling it here until you're in a position to afford the lawyers etc to stop them. Theyd be getting started on it the day after your patent is filed and 'online'.

You're pretty much screwed to be a natural born inventor in the modern era, outside of the realm of programming / social media / etc.

One workaround is to invent a business, not merely a product. Bitch there now is the JUGGERNAUT known as Amazon, if you are trying to sell all stuff that can be ordered from there that's a dead end more (and More and MORE...) or less too.

All as ordained by Washington DC.

edit on 6-5-2019 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Check out the USTPO site. It is quite informative. www.uspto.gov...

There are pro-bono assistance programs for example
www.uspto.gov...

Fill out a provisional application for patent (it will cost you 70$ minimum depending on your income)
www.uspto.gov...

From there you'll have 12 months to find investors, run a patent search, decide if you want to hire a patent attorney.

The most important point imho is whether your idea works. Do you have a working prototype, proof of concept? It is quite helpful in getting investors interested.

Good luck.
edit on 6-5-2019 by moebius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I feel the need to warn you about a patent.

It does not really protect your whatever from someone using it without paying for the rights.
Basically it only helps you when you file a lawsuit.

Trust me one that one.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Has anyone ever filed for a patent? I need help doing this and don't have FU lawyer money.

Then wait until you can afford an attorney. If there is a substantial amount of money involved always consult with your lawyer about everything concerning your business.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Find a Patent Attorney...consultations are usually free first.

Trademark, copyrights, literary and musical owner

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Sorry to be a bummer, but. Your idea consists of two parts, a known/ understood tech. That in itself tells me that it is patented. The next a mixture of chemicals, used together and proven by other products. That tells me that the chemical formula will be patented.
So what you propose is using two patented items in a unique way, a process. Now the other patent holders might have something to say about that.
I see the only way you'll make any money off this is to approach either or both patent holders and pitch it to them.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Yes, other than the one year provisional patent you absolutely want a competent patent attorney to research your potential patent and file as broad a utility and/or design patent as possible.

edit on 6-5-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

I have a good idea for an invention/process that I would like to apply for a patent. The idea consists of two main parts, the application of known/understood tech (that hasn't been used in this manner from what i can find) and the additive - a chemical added to make the process /work. Or a mix of chemicals that that are safe when used together (proven by other products). The additive is safe and is used in hundreds of similar applications but this one has a unique way of making use of it, and a much better way of doing so.

I don't foresee any issues with the chemical formula being held up by regulations b/c there are already similar compounds on the market, in my case it is how it is applied, when, for how long ad more..

I've gone to some of those "inventors clubs" where a company basically helps you get a patent for like $25-50,000 (up front) and then a large chunk of profits on the back end not to mention they get all kinds of controlling interest, you no longer own your invention. I walked out on the meeting, I'm sorry I did b/c I would have liked to see what else they would have demanded. They offered marketing and product placement, all in horrendous free magazines that no one would read - the best use for them would be to start a fire, but it fulfills their contract.

So, it looks like I'm stuck doing this on o own. I have about 20 idea just waiting to get some work done on them and maybe put them through to production, though many of them I would need help with as there are areas well outside of my specialty - I'm a good idea guy and good at production, if I have the skills to do so - but finding people who have skills I'm lacking can be difficult (especially when when working on a secret project - I'm not very trusting of NDA's just look at Stormy/Trump - how the hell can she just decide not ot honor it? Woman's prerogative or what?.

So if anyone has any experience with patents, I'd be EXTREMELY grateful for any information about what I should do. What to file, if there is a way to get the "rights to the idea" by writing it out & making blue prints & getting it notarized or anything like that.

As for testing, I'm not worried that this will fail. I've used both processes before but never put them together and I know they will work brilliantly and I know there is a large market for this.

Also, I try to stay away from things like "shark tank". I'd rather get investors organically through some old family and college connections. I just don't want to waste $ on an attorney to file 4 documents (Fed charges maybe total of $155 for all 4) who then charges me $1500-2500 because "there is so much little stuff that people miss and can go wrong) - I just got this speech about creating a fictitious name - $1000 for that ($09 state fee and a 3 page document an intelligent 6th grader could fill out).

So any help on the patent issue I would be very very grateful!

Unless it is truly groundbreaking tech, it isn't worth it imho.

Someone will tweak it slightly and basically steal the premise of your idea. I had a friend who invented something. I don't know how much he invested, but it had to be tens of thousands of dollars. Soon after he released it, Chinese manufacturers stole his idea and started making fakes. Then other legit manufacturers just tweaked his idea a bit and started making their own versions of the product.

A trademark and/or copyright is worth the money though.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Hello DigginFoTroof, wow I find it cool you got so many ideas...

I had a grandfather-in-law (GIL) who was an inventor of sorts...he made and lost a few fortunes over his lifetime.

He got his start in the WW2 airplane industry.. engineering some of those fighters that won the war. He worked for an aircraft company during the Cold War times... made big money.

I think it was in the early 1980's that a mens cologne company was coming out with the "Brut" scent product.

My GIL had designed a dispenser for that products unveiling that was to have a eco-friendly non gas propellant dispenser.

He had a working model, and it was very good, and functioned well. It incorporated a spring, that got "rewound" when a new "cartridge of Brut" was loaded into it.

Bruts marketing was delayed because of my GIL's EXTREME hassles in getting the needed patents for his eco-friendly spring operated scent dispenser.

Brut finally got marketed in a fancy green bottle, no dispenser other than the old fashioned pump kind. Most were just a bottle with a lid on it.

He had over 17 patents involved with this device.

ONLY ONE kept it from happening.

Believe it or not; it was over a patent needed, or allowance to use a patent, for a PLASTIC CUBE. Like a dice, but about less than 1/4 inch in side dimensions. A SIMPLE plastic cube!

SOMEBODY had a patent on this plastic cube design..HA! And were refusing to give him permission to use it; or get the patent he needed. It was dubious in nature the obstruction he received.

In the end it achieved its goal. The whole thing fell apart, Brut got marketed in a fancy green bottle, and the whole eco-dispenser thing died by bankrupting him in legal fees. He ran out of money to fight "patent machine".

His invention stood to be modified and incorporated and used in most all propellant driven dispensers for a multitude of products; so the BIG MONEY down the road was limitless for his idea.

NAH, shot down.... bankrupted in legal challenges. Why this happened I don't know.. other than trying to prevent someone from "breaking into" an established business practice (gas propelled dispenser industry), and "potentially" make it null and void.

Much like the village blacksmith, horseshoe maker at the turn of the century was rapidly becoming a "dead man walking" career field. My GIL's invention would/could have wiped out the gas propellant dispenser industry. So, he got opposed in a massively expensive legal battle over it all.

Beware these sort of traps as well. If your ideas might screw up an established business practice, be prepared for a major opposition legally.

That all said, I hope you are successful in trying to market your ideas... it just is a dog eat dog world out there these days.

Good luck, God speed.

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: pravdaseeker
I think it was in the early 1980's that a mens cologne company was coming out with the "Brut" scent product.

Brut is from the 1960's.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Hello AugustusMasonicus,

Thank you for the date correction on Brut's hitting the market...

The company was remarketing it, giving it a "push" to generate sales increase..

The eco-dispenser was a key thing in its remarketing push... to boost sales against competition with a eco friendly device was the key element of the remarketing... That is why they waited and waited to do the big ad campaign again.

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

Gotcha.

top topics

join