It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should torture be allowed in US prisons

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Physical torture is an unreliable source of information because people will pretty much say anything if you torture them. Also, people will try to be tough, and their hatred for you will fuel that toughness.

Besides, psychological torture is much more effective than physical torture. If you want information from somebody, you don't cut their fingers off one knuckle at a time, you do it to their children in front of them.

Except for political prisoners, however, there's no need to torture anybody in a US prison. There's no useful information to be had. And the other inmates will handle it anyway.
edit on 6-5-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
As much as I would love to see filth that molest children or harm children in any shape or form be tortured to death I have to answer no to torture.
However one thing I like about prisons is that they have a natural hierarchy.
Child molesters are the lowest of the low and either get stabbed to death or have to live in fear each and every day. I can live with that

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

First of all, no, torture for the sake of torture is never OK.

Second of all, I am not convinced this is happening. I served on a Grand Jury in Morgan County back in the 90s, and in Alabama one duty of county Grand Juries is to tour the local jails. I saw no torture... as a matter of fact, I was pretty vocal about why these criminals were getting foods I couldn't afford in the off season! Now, that wasn't Limestone, but check a map... it's the next county over.

I have also spent a few days in an Alabama county jail in my youth... nope, no torture. Just can't get out. I thought that was torture personally... them doors make a sound when they slam shut that sent chills up my spine! I never forgot that sound...

Reading your article, there didn't seem to be much there except speculation on the hitching post/bucket. Someone said this, someone said that... and all the someones seemed to be those who had a personal grudge against the penal system (jails) or a financial motive. I did notice the article writers seemed to have a serious gripe against the use of chain gangs... that we have. And that I support. These are criminals. They need to repay society, and one way to do that is to pick up trash along the road. If they're a flight risk, they get chained together. If not, they'll just be on a prison detail... I see those all the time. I rarely see a chain gang anymore.

Works for me. That's not torture. That's doing productive work. Don't want to be on a prison detail? Don't get a felony conviction. Don't want to be on a chain gang? Don't be a flight risk.

As for the hitching post thing, I think that's the result of someone's overactive imagination. Just a little bit of speculative speculation from a "journalist" who has likely never been to the state to try and garner outrage for the true source of the writer's ire: making criminals actually work.

I call fake news unless someone can show me some collaboration. Show me enough and I'll investigate. I'm not that far from Limestone.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Personally I think it depends on why you're in prison. For one, I think if you're a pedophile and are caught and found guilty of things like raping and murderimg innocent people, then, yes, there should be a form of torture done to you. Say, chopping of your balls. Or everyday your genitals get a good pounding done to them. Things like that.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

As for the hitching post thing, I think that's the result of someone's overactive imagination. Just a little bit of speculative speculation from a "journalist" who has likely never been to the state to try and garner outrage ...

TheRedneck

I totally missed the Allman Brothers reference in the original piece. Thanks for that.

They were probably listening to it in the warden's office....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join