It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rockets do not work in the vacuum of space. You will believe anything "expert" scientists say.

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
This is true...why would you use fire in a vacuum to travel in space? What happens when you vacuum up some fire?

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: Beestie

Come on. It isn't that hard. Dropping it to where? Both the man and marble is in orbit. He needs to expel it at a velocity. When he throws it the marble it pushes against his hand. It's not rocket science....oh wait....it is

Do people not think.
What are you pushing against. Your in a void in space and push a marble against your hand. The mable will offer zero resistance in void. So where does the momentum come from. Your are pushing against an empty foundation.

Ai. The momentum comes from the energy used to throw the marbles away from yourself. Really, this isn't hard to understand.

Let's try again. Take a hosepipe and open the tap full blast. You will feel it push against your wrist. Now, this is a thick stream of water right. Pushing more air than a thin stream because of the surface area. NOW, put a nozzle on it and feel the difference. The stream is thinner so pushing against less air but the force on you hand increased. Can you figure out why???

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: KrishnaTheGreat
This is true...why would you use fire in a vacuum to travel in space? What happens when you vacuum up some fire?

You arent using fire. You are expelling gas. The heat is energy waisted. Really people. Think a little.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Ai. The momentum comes from the energy used to throw the marbles away from yourself. Really, this isn't hard to understand.

People (especially the OP, but others as well), are being purposely obtuse, and I'm not sure why. I guess to have fun in the LOL bin thread. : )

I do hope the OP is a flat-earther, because it's hard to find one to engage in conversation, and it is amusing to see the twisting and winding their thought-process must take, as they try to continue to justify their stance on something that is quite that ridiculous.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Rockets do work in space. How do you think satalites, the ISS and other things move around? The rocket pushes against itself to move forward. The action of the rocket or propellent being pushed out, produces a reaction that causes the vehicle to move forward.

I am not saying that rockets do or do not work in space. But your reply has failed to understand what the OP is saying. What is the rocket thrusting against to cause momentum if its in a void or per your explanation what reaction is caused in a void.

Let's go back to the skateboard example from several pages back.

Let's say I'm on a skateboard and I throw a 15-pound iron ball (that is about 5 inches in diameter) with enough force to go 10 feet away by pushing it away from my chest. That act causes the ball to go in one direction, but me and the skateboard go in the other direction.

What caused me to go the other direction? What was the iron ball pushing against? You might say the iron ball pushed against air resistance, and that push against air transferred back to me to allow my skateboard to roll in the opposite direction...

So let's do the same experiment with a 20-inch diameter inflated beach ball that weighs maybe 4 ounces. With the much larger diameter of the beach ball there would be more air resistance as I throw it. So if it were the "pushing against the air" that makes the skateboard go backwards, then throwing the beach ball with enough force to make it go 10 feet should make the skateboard move MORE when I throw the 4-ounce beach ball than when I threw the 15-pund iron ball.

However, the opposite is true; throwing the iron ball made the skateboard move backward farther. That's because it took more force to throw the iron ball than it did the beach ball, and that force --as Newton tells us -- must be accompanied by an equal but opposite force.

The skateboard moving backward had virtually nothing to do with air resistance, because if it did the beach balls larger cross sectional area would have cause greater air resistance, thus greater backward push...but it didn't.

The same principle is in effect with a rocket. But instead of throwing an iron ball, a rocket "throws" combusted propellant. And instead of throwing with my arms, the rocket's "throw" is done by the high pressure in the combustion chamber.

The high force of the propellant through the rocket nozzle requires (as Newton's laws tell us) an opposite force, which is the force that pushes the rocket. Again, just like the skateboard, that force moving the rocket forward does NOT come from pushing against the air.

edit on 5/8/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

People (especially the OP, but others as well), are being purposely obtuse, and I'm not sure why. I guess to have fun in the LOL bin thread. : )

I do hope the OP is a flat-earther, because it's hard to find one to engage in conversation, and it is amusing to see the twisting and winding their thought-process must take, as they try to continue to justify their stance on something that is quite that ridiculous.

Yes I know. Most fun I had on ATS ever. Can't wait for Nicsign to make another thread.

Cheers to everyone here

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

So.... all my friends in the military doing satcom work have fake jobs, making very good money doing fake things, using fake equipment, with fake parabolic dishes built and programmed by a fake industry with fake coding and fake everything and it's all a big hoax

The funniest bit is how many people would have to be "in on it" if this were true. And not one person has let it slip that it is a hoax! From media, to space agencies in every country, to manufacturers of rockets and satellites, all the cable providers, all branches of all military of note on the planet, all astronauts (who had to go through "fake" training), astronomers the world over, even photographers who have taken pictures of things like the IIS.

But the flat-earth peeps and the OP (which could be one and the same) actually believe this to be the case! Astounding. : )

Even funnier are the # of articles created solely to disprove the flat earth theory! It's such a ridiculous premise, that it seems mind-boggling to me that people try so hard to prove that they are wrong. Who cares what they think? They are obviously unhinged, why are people trying to hard to prove their theories are ludicrous? But I guess we are doing it in this thread, too.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry
Will this help?
spotthestation.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bob350
a reply to: worldstarcountry
Will this help?
spotthestation.nasa.gov...

heavens-above.com is a great site for that.

You plug in your latitude and longitude (or pick your location from a map), and you can get a list of every pass, visible or not, of the ISS and hundreds of other satellites. It will tell you when and where to look, how long the visible pass would last, and the brightness (magnitude) to expect.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

My friend, they did answer you.

The reason an astronaut can't kick their legs out and push themselves in a direction in space is because in order for their legs to push outward they need something to push against. In this case, the legs are pushing against the upper body. So the upper body gets pushed in the opposite direction while their legs are pushing outward. Inertia comes into play here too, the upper body doesn't want to move, it resists slightly.

Since the legs and the upper body are both connected, as soon as the legs reach maximum stretch and stop, the upper body also stops moving in the opposite direction. This cancels out any movement in any direction. The astronaut will not go anywhere.

However, if the legs happened to detach from the upper body (ouch) at the moment of max stretch and keep floating away, well the upper body would also keep floating away in the opposite direction too. In this case the astronaut will go somewhere. Two places to be exact. Their legs would float away in one direction and their upper body the other direction. That is because the legs used the upper body to push off of, and the upper body was pushed by the legs too. So they both move away from a single point in space.

You can roughly try this experiment at home if you have an office chair with wheels. Sit in the chair, lift your feet off the ground, bend your knees, and try to kick your legs out as fast as you can to propel yourself in a direction. You will notice your upper body and chair moved backwards with equal and opposite force as your legs. When you bring your legs back in with similar force, your body and chair will move back where you started. You will not go anywhere. Some friction with the wheels and the ground may help you move somewhere, but if there was no friction like in space you would go nowhere.

Now imagine someone sitting on your lap in the chair, and you push them off of you. You would go backwards and they would go forwards.

A rocket works in a similar fashion. The rocket exhaust gases don't just magically come out of the rocket, it is expanding and uses the rocket body to push itself out. The expanding gases pushes the against the rocket body, so the rocket body moves in the opposite direction of the expansion.

Newtons 3rd law is basically a way to say no object can move unless it pushes or pulls itself away or towards another object, and that other object will be pushed or pulled in the opposite direction in the process. This is a law because its been observed over 100s of years to always be true.
edit on 8-5-2019 by More1ThanAny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

a reply to: Beestie

Come on. It isn't that hard. Dropping it to where? Both the man and marble is in orbit. He needs to expel it at a velocity. When he throws it the marble it pushes against his hand. It's not rocket science....oh wait....it is

Do people not think.
What are you pushing against. Your in a void in space and push a marble against your hand. The mable will offer zero resistance in void. So where does the momentum come from. Your are pushing against an empty foundation.

What if it were a giant marble, say the size of an asteroid?

If I were to push that giant asteroid-sized marble that’s sitting in the void of space with my hands, would it offer any resistance?

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Do people not think.

In empty space, if you have a bowling ball and try to push it, it will resist movement momentarily. That resistance is called inertia.

Inertia is the resistance, of any physical object, to any change in its velocity. This includes changes to the object's speed, or direction of motion.

edit on 8-5-2019 by More1ThanAny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

What if it were a giant marble, say the size of an asteroid

Thank you for that you have a good point there.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: More1ThanAny1

Thank you for your reply it makes more sense to me now..

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
When the entire premise of your thread is completely redefining the fundamental laws of the universe and your source presents no evidence for that absurd claim, you've got quite the uphill battle.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

so funny eh? like 9/11 conspiracy. How man people would have to be "in on it"? or it could be just people believe the news

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: captainpudding

no laws are being redefined. The laws are simply being misapplied

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

how is throwing marbles, a solid, the same as gas, a fluid, moving due to different forces applied. In your example the astronaut is pushing the marble. In a rocket, pressure gradient force is doing the pushing, not the rocket

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NicSign

Marbles and rocket propellant are both matter. Both have mass.

The pressure gradient is what pushes that mass of propellant, just lake a person's arm movement is what pushes the mass of a marble.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: NicSign

My friend, I still have questions for you.

Imagine you have a spherical container, and inside that container is highly compressed gas. Do you agree the gas is applying outward force on the sphere equally in all directions?

Now, imagine we puncture a large hole into the bottom of the sphere. Do you agree that the compressed gas is no longer equally applying force in all directions of the sphere? Do you agree that the gas is now applying more force to the top of the sphere than it is to the bottom of the sphere?

Do you agree the sphere would move up?

edit on 9-5-2019 by More1ThanAny1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join