It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One dead in SuperJet fire

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
An Aeroflot Sukhoi SuperJet landed in Moscow with a major fire burning. According to crew the aircraft was struck by lightning during the flight. At least one person was killed in the fire, with five to ten being injured. It's amazing it wasn't a lot higher, with 78 total being on board.

One person was killed and at least five were injured when a Russian Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet plane made an emergency landing in Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport on Sunday due to fire on board, Russian news agencies reported.

The state-run TASS news agency, citing a source, said at least one person was killed. Agencies reported various figures on the number of injured — from five to more than 10.

www.themoscowtimes.com...

According to sources, the flight stopped its initial climb at 9,000 feet, and changed its transponder to 7600 to signal a loss of communications. That was changed to 7700 to signify a general emergency and the aircraft began a return to Moscow. The reports say that the aircraft was on fire in the air. It veered off the side of the runway as it landed.
edit on 5/5/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Now being reported 13 dead , shocking.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
holy ***

edit very strange that they didnt have emergency vehicles already waiting
edit on 5-5-2019 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm surprised anyone made it out at all after seeing the video of it landing engulfed in flames, hell im surprised they even got it on the deck as well as they did

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
As stated above Tass are reporting 13 dead now?

twitter.com...

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

No comms to tell the tower they had a fire, or what was going on. Without a radio, the response was slowed.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

So am I honestly. That should have burned through the aft fuselage, and structure, including the control cables.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It looks like the mains either didn't extend, or collapsed when they ran off the runway.

www.airlive.net...

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can only think that it was the engine on fire and the flames were making it look worse, when it finally came to a stop it gave the fire a chance engulf the aircraft. Amazing from the pilots though to get it down in relative safety I'd imagine a few more minutes in the air and they would of lost all control of it

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Apparently it had to abort its first landing as well and go around.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Which just made it worse, because that gave the fire more time to burn in the air.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Reminds me of flight 4590 except the Aeroflot was still making enough thrust to stay airborne.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
According to FR24, the transponder wasn't changed to 7700 until the aircraft was on its approach. That gave everyone almost no notice that the trucks might be needed.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Excuse the red '112' across the pictures but I took these from twitter

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Reports on twitter say the evacuation was hindered by people attempting to get heir belongings from the over head lockers. I mean .. what the hell. Your plane is on fire, it's just managed to get down safely and the first thing you care about is your luggage ? What the hell is wrong with people.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I know it's so weird what goes through people's heads. I have my phone, wallet and passport in my pocket at all times on a flight just incase. Screw my actual luggage I can buy other stuff if need be.

Also looking at the pics they're so lucky it didn't break up midair I know it burnt after they landed but still.
edit on 5-5-2019 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

link   

Every evacuation in recent years has said the same thing. Maybe this time the damn idiots will listen, since that's probably how at least some of them died.

link   
Footage was just released of the plane travelling down the runway without flames, jumping up into the air momentarily, and then slamming back down onto the runway, at which point something on the plane exploded from the impact, causing the flames.
Video on Twitter

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I'm guessing they couldn't extend any airbrakes looking at that and had no choice but a very fast and hard landing.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Most likely no flaps on approach, requiring a higher landing speed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join