It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy cinco de mayo, Not.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Meh it's an excuse to eat tacos. The u.s. celebrates Columbus day which is worse.

Bah, none of us would be here, even you, without Columbus, so stuff it. Good with the bad, you cannot change the past, but what is certain is that without that event, you wouldn't be able to whine about it so self-righteously.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Not to mention it is a Mexican holiday and for some reason we have to hear about in the U.S. as well. I seriously doubt they celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico.

Some Americans have appropriated the holiday only as an excuse to drink beer and swill bad tequila. The Mexicans don't need an excuse to do either. They do it with graceful exubeance. And what we have for tequila here would get you thrown out of a Mexican cantina. Try sipping Tequila Mandala Extra Anejo.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Every place has their specialties.

It's hard to get authentic anything outside it's own home locality, so I really wouldn't expect to just easily get the best tequila up here.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'm going to celebrate Cinco de Mayo by attacking everyone I owe money to, then break into someone else's property and take all their stuff.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
LMFAO, it originated in the US as a marketing ploy, not Mexico. Holy crap our education system sucks XD

It goes without saying that Americans will celebrate absolutely ANYTHING so long as it includes copious amounts of booze and fatty food. Because our lard-asses won't have it any other way.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Not to mention it is a Mexican holiday and for some reason we have to hear about in the U.S. as well. I seriously doubt they celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico.

The thing is, Cinco de Mayo is BARELY celebrated in Mexico. To Mexicans, its a commemoration of a serious event in history - from their perspective, they got out from under the crushing control of their creditors, who would have ruined them forever. Yes, yes, they agreed to terms, but if there was no way out from a bad choice in borrowing, our President would be rotting in a gutter somewhere, broke to the tune of billions of dollars and still racking up interest.

It became a thing for fun in the US. A day of revelry of what whinier, crybaby types refer to as "cultural appropriation." For me, years ago in college running the bar at a "Tex-Mex" joint, it meant a $600 income day, followed by getting hammered on margaritas, tequila shots and Coronas, eating Mexican food, and finding a señorita to take home for the night.

Honestly, can't find a reason to complain except to say I miss "celebrating" The 5th of May.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

Some Americans have appropriated the holiday only as an excuse to drink beer and swill bad tequila. The Mexicans don't need an excuse to do either. They do it with graceful exubeance. And what we have for tequila here would get you thrown out of a Mexican cantina. Try sipping Tequila Mandala Extra Anejo.

We have TONS of options for GREAT tequila in the US! If you want to go terrible though, try anything that rhymes with No sé Puervo.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
LMFAO, it originated in the US as a marketing ploy, not Mexico. Holy crap our education system sucks XD

It goes without saying that Americans will celebrate absolutely ANYTHING so long as it includes copious amounts of booze and fatty food. Because our lard-asses won't have it any other way.

LMFAO! True indeed,

Need to make a correction though. You won't find any Mexican who is not willing to party for any reason whatsoever
Greasy Carnitas, tequila, beer and tacos will definitely be part of it all.. Americans are not the only ones that will celebrate absolutely anything as long as there is booze included LOL

So in that aspect, Mexican and Americans are mostly the same

edit on 5-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

The French lent Mexico money and refuse to pay the French back, so the French sent in their military to collect their money and Mexico and fought them off....

I don't think you're getting the whole story, It marks an important military victory but nobody Mexico actually celebrates Cinco de Mayo. It's been hijacked and bastardized by beer manufacturers to induce the sheep to spend more money

Segui il denaro....

edit on 5-5-2019 by provocateur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Silly arguement. I wouldn't be here if hitler wasn't born either. Or any major change in history. But Germany doesn't have a hitler day and neither should we have a Columbus day. It's celebrating "discovering" a continent with people already living on it. And by a man who was a terrible cruel person.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Silly arguement. I wouldn't be here if hitler wasn't born either. Or any major change in history. But Germany doesn't have a hitler day and neither should we have a Columbus day. It's celebrating "discovering" a continent with people already living on it. And by a man who was a terrible cruel person.

It's not like it's really a celebration though. I missed where anyone actually celebrated anything beyond putting a day on the calendar and saying this is the day Columbus discovered the New World. Oh, I take that back. My parents do celebrate it as it happens to be one of their anniversaries by accident rather than design. Convenient way for them to remember what day it is more than anything. It marked the end of the Atlantic and Pacific cutting us off from each other.

Before he ran aground there, both halves of the world were largely ignorant of each other's existence. Sure, it can be said that others had made it to and from those parts prior, but after Columbus, people knew. It wasn't forgotten again.
edit on 6-5-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: gallop

Two parades I will not go into New York for are the St. Barfing Day parade and the Puerto Rican Day parade.

Total amateur hour s*** show.

As long as ye adhere to St Paddies day.. Oil shout ya a pint of brew.

shamrock'n'all..

Of did you mean st barfing day... protestant !!

Giv me pint back.

edit on 6-5-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Its celebrating the goal of reaching such a far off land while other civilization's were still trying to Make something that floats.

There were humans on every continent, but were they advanced?

Indians though people were half horse when they saw them riding them

Any other civilization that showed up would have done the same to a less advanced civ.

Ever see the movie 300, during those times and Columbus times things were cruel.

When the arabs would show up to a weaker civ, that civilization would be completely wiped out.

Its what was done back then.

For Columbus to find what he did is an amazing feat for that time period.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'm going to celebrate Cinco de Mayo by attacking everyone I owe money to, then break into someone else's property and take all their stuff.

That's called, 'Feeling the Bern'.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
It's not like it's really a celebration though. I missed where anyone actually celebrated anything beyond putting a day on the calendar and saying this is the day Columbus discovered the New World.

They have a highly useless parade in New York which shuts down Midtown for the better portion of the day.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Okay people don't party on Columbus day but it's a day created to honor him. It's still considered a holiday in some work and schools, giving a half-day or day off in remembrance.

That's celebration in a way. And if you're still convinced there is no celebration, then there certainly is a day named in honor of Columbus.

It's no doubt that Columbus played a role in history, but civiluzations were bound to collide with the Americas eventually.

The fact remains that Columbus was a cruel person who devestated native populations and committed inhumane crimes. A person like that has a place in history, but not a day given in honor to him.
edit on 6-5-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Ghengis Khan did an amazing feat too. He conquered amazing amounts of land through mass rape, torture and extreme violence. However, he was one of the best conquerors of all-time. Started by a less civilized nomad pwople non-the-less.

Amazing feats don't take away your terrible deeds. While people like Columbus and ghengis khan are history changers, they have no honor. They willingly, with options not to, created mass suffering and terrible carnage.

What's sad is that, if you can attain the status of greatness in history, then suddenly all your terrible deeds are undone by the greatness or at least glossed over.

What columbus day shows is that morality is of no concern if you can do great things. A terrible lesson for kids. Let him be another figuare in history, but don't give him the honor of devoting a day to a man whose least violent act and commands were rape.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
We get it...you hate libtards...enough already

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

We have a day named for Pearl Harbor too, and for Holocaust Remembrance. We have days for all sorts of things and not all of those things are awesome things, just things that are noteworthy or things that should not be forgotten for various reasons.

We mark the birth anniversaries of various famous and infamous people throughout history.

And, of course, thanks to modern "woke" ideology, the smallest heretical stain on a person makes them infamous too and thus renders everything else they may have done invalid. SJWs are steadily marching through history and purging it of all thoughtcriminals so that we may not utter their names or speak of their non-thoughtcrime related achievements.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

So,of course, we must purge both from history. We must ignore all the things they both did that brought about the world you and I inhabit today?

Russia almost certainly exists because of Genghis Khan. Genghis embraced both meritocracy, even promoting his enemies. One of his most famous field generals was first an enemy who shot his horse out from under him. He also embraced religious tolerance allowing his subjects to worship their own religions instead of imposing his own. Both were very progressive concepts for that time.

Genghis was only unique for his time in his scale. Among medieval rulers of his time, he was no more or less cruel or atrocious then other peoples or rulers. There was a cultural reason for the Mongols' surrender or be massacred policy with cities. It was how a people not numerous to begin with dealt with casualties. Their response to their enemies was in proportion to the casualties sustained in a conquest. Cities who surrendered were treated well while those who exacted heavy casualties in the taking often paid a heavy price.

Because the idea of Mongol hoardes is a myth. They often fought and won from a position of numerical inferiority. What allowed them to win was their mastery of horse archery and their advanced bows. The Mongols had the first functional artillery in the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join