It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Time In 145 Years That A Winner At The Kentucky Derby Has Been Disqualified

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It is the first time in 145 years, that a "horse who finished first in the Kentucky Derby was disqualified." I saw the replay and think this was a very "iffy" call, especially considering the conditions and the typical bunching of the horses that are battling down the final stretch. Tough call to make. Nice to see a 65-1 long shot win it, but not like this.

In a historical reversal, Country House was declared the winner of the 145th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on Saturday following “an inquiry ruling” and the disqualification of Maximum Security, officials said.

The disqualification marked "the first time in 145 years" that "the horse who finished first in the Kentucky Derby was disqualified," the official Twitter account for the sporting event said.

www.foxnews.com...

edit on 5/4/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Yeah, I thought that was bull. However, I'm certainly no expert on horse racing so what do I know?

I just felt really bad for the jockey. He was just on cloud nine talking about how this was his lifelong dream and then it is snatched away from him moments later. Not sure how much more he could have done to correct the horse getting spooked on the rail, but it is certainly a tough break for him.
edit on 4-5-2019 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Strange call to say the least, IMO.
Terrible track conditions caused the shift, being disqualified for that is ridiculous.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Muddy track and the horse caused the interference, not the jockey.

Controversial call for sure 😎

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:46 AM
link   
May the derby, keenland, oaks, and every aspect of horse racing come to an end across the globe.

Horse racing is as stupid.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   
If Maximum-security wins the Preakness and Belmont stakes .

But misses the Triple Crown because of the derby .

It will be like twisting the knife in Gary West’s gut.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I thought when the challenge started they might let it go the horse that was hit in the head was not going to win but the #20 filed the complaint. They would disqualify all of NASCAR winners then for moving in the lane while in front.

Those horse hit almost stepped on and did appear to clip the hoof of Maximum Security and that would have cost several horses lives had that been a hard hit to the hoof. THAT is why they decided to disqualify. It is about the safety of all the million $ animals.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I've been a big horse racing fan since my teens back in the eighties.
I've got to say that the result would have stood in probably every other country other than the US.
What interference that occurred was minimal, it happened a fair distance away from the finish line and the jockey of the runner up never had to stop riding.
The result of the race was not affected by this incident.

For what little its worth I've got to say that in my opinion this was a very poor decision.

One can't help but wonder if there were any unrevealed contributory factors involved in the decision making.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

That's some kool-aid.

19 horses on a muddy track in the rain. Yeah, they are watching out for the horses, not the fame and fortune.

23 horses died at Santa Anita track since Dec 2018.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Now the poo is worthless ( the one they canned for sale)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I've been a big horse racing fan since my teens back in the eighties.
I've got to say that the result would have stood in probably every other country other than the US.
What interference that occurred was minimal, it happened a fair distance away from the finish line and the jockey of the runner up never had to stop riding.
The result of the race was not affected by this incident.

For what little its worth I've got to say that in my opinion this was a very poor decision.

One can't help but wonder if there were any unrevealed contributory factors involved in the decision making.

Ok, it just hit me.

The Track made a lot more money by disqualifying the Horse that was projected winner. The bettors were destroyed compared to what was going to be paid back to them.

Trifectas and such were just destroyed. There was a lot of money be on that horse to be in the trifectas.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

That's some kool-aid.

19 horses on a muddy track in the rain. Yeah, they are watching out for the horses, not the fame and fortune.

23 horses died at Santa Anita track since Dec 2018.

Not koolaide lover just a big fan of sports and this is a big race. A kid down the road from me bought and trained a Colt for 10$k that was winning smaller races and one of the big Family's in Louisville hired him for a nice salary. He is back now training his own again. Since that Stable wasn't very successful lately, they cut back and he was last in and naturally expendable to them.

The horses are worth a ton of money that get invited to that race. Those 23 dead ones speak for something is very wrong at Santa Anita.
edit on 5-5-2019 by Justoneman because: proofreading

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
That's our world now, someone will win, then someone will cry about it and try to change the outcome for any reason that they can think of.
And now the Kentucky derby is part of this kind of BS

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Do you honestly think this is the first time in 145 years that a horse has lost the "lane". As if that is some actual rule.

Did you see the clip where the steward was talking to the jockeys before the race. Has that even be shown before the race in the past. That could have been a setup to allow a foul to be called and people buy it..

It's gonna be called the Kentucky Snowflake from now on.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Seen a lot of people say it was the weather's fault that he happened to swerve right as 2 horses were coming up and then back to the rail as another was making a move.
Awful coveininent timing and odd that it only appeared to happen to 1 horse.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

"Maximum Secuity" clearly has a problem with the front right leg it gets obvious around half to two thirds into the race.

That explains the rest.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Do you honestly think this is the first time in 145 years that a horse has lost the "lane". As if that is some actual rule.

Did you see the clip where the steward was talking to the jockeys before the race. Has that even be shown before the race in the past. That could have been a setup to allow a foul to be called and people buy it..

It's gonna be called the Kentucky Snowflake from now on.

I am with you 100% on this reply!

The fact that it almost caused a 'wreck' was what I meant and the are trying to protect the horses. THAT incident would make the track a lot of money to change the outcome too. Not much bet on #20. I saw the bet was way skewed for Maximum Security. This could have been a setup, yep.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Whatever you like is stupid to someone else, too.

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
It is the first time in 145 years, that a "horse who finished first in the Kentucky Derby was disqualified." I saw the replay and think this was a very "iffy" call, especially considering the conditions and the typical bunching of the horses that are battling down the final stretch. Tough call to make. Nice to see a 65-1 long shot win it, but not like this.

In a historical reversal, Country House was declared the winner of the 145th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on Saturday following “an inquiry ruling” and the disqualification of Maximum Security, officials said.

The disqualification marked "the first time in 145 years" that "the horse who finished first in the Kentucky Derby was disqualified," the official Twitter account for the sporting event said.

www.foxnews.com...

That in itself is pretty odd...So what, this is the first time in 145 years that a Derby race horse stepped in front of another one???

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Here's the video where they explain why the call was made.

Maximum Security changed his lead coming off the curve and drifted out. When he did, he got so close to the horse coming up behind him that its front leg got between his rear legs. This in turn caused the horse behind that one to also similarly get entangled.

All three horses were one bad step away from causing a major pile-up of the entire field given where they all were.

That's why there was the DQ.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join