It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California sends bill requiring presidential candidates' tax returns to governor's desk

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: ketsuko

I think it takes more than "self declaring" to get the Republican party to let you run under their platform in a presidential primary, against their incumbent, the sitting president.

I could be wrong, I don't see Bill Weld as a contender.

Holy Moly! For once I have finally actually agreed with what you posted!

two more drinks because I think that is so amazing!

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I'm just telling you that Weld says he will primary Trump. So there is someone out there who is trying. How well he does is another thing. I don't think he'll get very far.

Ron Paul? Ron Paul only had momentum in places where his dedicated fans could work it to their advantage like a caucus floor. In a wider voting situation, there just wasn't that level of appeal.

A caucus works differently than an actual vote.
edit on 4-5-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

There must be some planetary alignment, because we come from different ones, for sure!

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Lumenari

I think information on Mr. Sanders state of health both physically and mentally would be extremely relevant to any voters's ability to make an informed decision on whether or not to vote for him for office. Biden isn't any spring chicken either, and neither is Ms. Warren.

Perhaps we should have their full medical records released before they can appear on the ballot.

And they should also receive a full medical workup from a non-partisan, independent medical agency that includes a full panel of medical tests and a full psych eval.

I think this an excellent idea, since a psych eval alone would narrow the current batch of Democratic Primary contenders down to where the debates will be more manageable...

What would be left... like 4 people?

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

It would get rid of Pelosi. I've noticed she's running from the House Floor with all the impeachment talk.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Sookiechacha

I'm just telling you that Weld says he will primary Trump. So there is someone out there who is trying. How well he does is another thing. I don't think he'll get very far.

Ron Paul? Ron Paul only had momentum in places where his dedicated fans could work it to their advantage like a caucus floor. In a wider voting situation, there just wasn't that level of appeal.

A caucus works differently than an actual vote.

Does Weld have even a fraction of the support that Ron Paul had?

At any rate, my bet stands. Are you in?

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

As far as your "nothing to hide" premise, you and I both know that's BS.

How so? I believe public servants should be held to higher standards than regular citizens. Because of their positions of influence and the money involved in big politics.

You can talk all day about how media or people can spin things, but the responsibility for not falling for the spin rests on the individual. Blaming the media for the effect their spin has is a cop out. They're doing what the media has always done.

As I said above, maybe people shouldn't be so easily distracted.

edit on 4-5-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   

It would get rid of Pelosi. I've noticed she's running from the House Floor with all the impeachment talk.

TBH, we could just go with a basic civics exam.

Then when they break their oath of office at least we know that they understood the oath in the first place.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Not going to Happen Unless Everyone is Required including the California State Government .

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: DanDanDat

My question would be; why is Donald Trump so important that people are making new laws up just for him and other people are fighting it just for him?

Because he, himself fights transparency at every turn. Any politician that does that is going to raise suspicion. Especially amongst their rivals.

He does?

Huh, how many times could he have legitimately declared Executive Privilege for things in the Mueller Report, and yet, he didn't, not once. Nah, that was Obama's style, Executive Privilege. I'll bet you still think Obama was more transparent because he simply told you he was going to have the most transparent administration ever.

Are you really trying to argue that the Trump administration is big on transparency? The same administration that handed over the drone program to the CIA for the purpose of less transparency?

The same administration who lied so much at their press conferences that they barely have them anymore? What Obama was or wasn't has no bearing on what Trump is. I wish you guys would realize that.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

As far as your "nothing to hide" premise, you and I both know that's BS.

How so? I believe public servants should be held to higher standards that regular citizens. Because of their positions of influence and the money involved in big politics.

You can talk all day about how media or people can spin things, but the responsibility for not falling for the spin rests on the individual. Blaming the media for the effect their spin has is a cop out. They're doing what the media has always done.

As I said above, maybe people shouldn't be so easy distracted.

Odd that you took one sentence out of my whole post and focused on that...

Tell you what, Captain Transparency.

Next time you drive buzzed, go find a cop and tell him.

Next time you have a little something recreational that isn't exactly legal, turn yourself in and confess.

Next time you speed, call it in!

Ever fudge your taxes, just a little bit?

The list can go on and on and on....

The actual reality of life is that we are faced with a set of rules.. a set of laws that we all live in.

EVERYONE breaks the rules at one time or another.

They say the average person just going about and living their lives commits 3 felonies a day without realizing it.

Do you really want a government powerful enough to be able to punish you for your political ideology because of your private life?

Because reading your posts, that's exactly what you want.

But only if your ideology profits from it.

Disingenuous line of thinking, to say the least.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

a reply to: DanDanDat

My question would be; why is Donald Trump so important that people are making new laws up just for him and other people are fighting it just for him?

Because he, himself fights transparency at every turn. Any politician that does that is going to raise suspicion. Especially amongst their rivals.

He does?

Huh, how many times could he have legitimately declared Executive Privilege for things in the Mueller Report, and yet, he didn't, not once. Nah, that was Obama's style, Executive Privilege. I'll bet you still think Obama was more transparent because he simply told you he was going to have the most transparent administration ever.

Are you really trying to argue that the Trump administration is big on transparency? The same administration that handed over the drone program to the CIA for the purpose of less transparency?

The same administration who lied so much at their press conferences that they barely have them anymore? What Obama was or wasn't has no bearing on what Trump is. I wish you guys would realize that.

Handed over a million documents or so.

Answered questions.

Offered up his whole staff to be interrogated.

Did not invoke Executive Privilege.

Didn't just stop the whole sh##show that was the Mueller Report when he could have rightfully done so anytime.

Let it conclude without input...

And was found to be innocent.

And for the record, not a single crime found would have even been prosecuted if there was no SC convened.

Not a single crime found had anything to do with the original charge.

So yes, transparent.

As for the press conferences, I see that you still feel that our news media is impartial.

Just.... LOL

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Next time you have a little something recreational that isn't exactly legal, turn yourself in and confess.

The actual reality of life is that we are faced with a set of rules.. a set of laws that we all live in.

And those indiscretions should be public knowledge when it comes to politicians so we as voters can make a more informed choice.

I'm not talking about Bill down the street who has a plant in his pocket he was arrested for. I'm talking about the politicians who are supposed to represent us, yet really only represent the will of their donors.

I can't believe anyone would argue in support of less transparency when it comes to these people. Less transparency is a big part of what has led us to where we are now. Which is why the people who stand to lose because of it fight against it.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Why would anyone be for less transparency?

Why would anyone object to a political party using the power of their positions (and our tax dollars) to intrude into someone's personal life for their own political gain?

Really?

Let's see how you feel about it with the Obama sh##show coming up.

I believe any person who wants to work in the government as a public servant (President, Congress etc) should have to show way more than just a tax return. If you aren't ready for your life to be an open book you shouldn't be representing us in any fashion.

If there's nothing to hide, what's to worry about? Public servants should have to be completely honest with the people they serve.

Okay, then what?

If you aren't squeeky clean, you're unfit to serve the people?

What a foolish notion. This is silly at best, and really naive at worst.

I mean, I doubt anyone here is naive enough to believe a billionaire business mogul would have a squeeky clean resume. In fact, I'd be surprised if he did, and would actually bet money he doesn't (along with every other politician and person of power).

But that's not even the point, nor is it even important. Welcome to the real world.

Let's not kid ourselves, this has nothing to do with transparency. Because if it did, I doubt there would be anyone left standing.

They're clearly trying to find any type of leverage after years of flinging # at the wall and failing to do so.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

And those indiscretions should be public knowledge when it comes to politicians so we as voters can make a more informed choice.

I'm not talking about Bill down the street who has a plant in his pocket he was arrested for. I'm talking about the politicians who are supposed to represent us, yet really only represent the will of their donors.

I can't believe anyone would argue in support of less transparency when it comes to these people. Less transparency is a big part of what has led us to where we are now. Which is why the people who stand to lose because of it fight against it.

So again, an American politician to you should forfeit their rights as a citizen when they run for office.

You're only taking this side of the argument because of your TDS.

It's not looking too good on you.

But now we have gotten to the part of the conversation where you are no longer interesting...

So have a nice night sweety.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I'm telling you that they could have been much less transparent than they have been.

But since it seems the only measure of transparency is now a tax return ...

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Okay, then what?

If you aren't squeeky clean, you're unfit to serve the people?

What a foolish notion. This is silly at best, and really naive at worst.

I mean, I doubt anyone here is naive enough to believe a billionaire business mogul would have a squeeky clean resume. In fact, I'd be surprised if he did, and would actually bet money he doesn't (along with every other politician and person of power).

I never said you should be disqualified from holding office, just that whatever you've done should be public knowledge so we can make a more informed choice.

Leave it to the voters. But be honest about who you are and what you've done so we can make our decision based on reality, not an image crafted to sell a candidate to the voters.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm telling you that they could have been much less transparent than they have been.

I guess that excuses everything else, right?

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

FFS! Donald Trump has lived his entire life in the eyes of the camera for decades. He's a freakin' reality celeb. Why on earth do you think those so-called sex scandals didn't shake him?! It's because everyone sort of already knew about them because ... yeah, he's lived his life on film.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

So again, an American politician to you should forfeit their rights as a citizen when they run for office.

You're only taking this side of the argument because of your TDS.

It's not looking too good on you.

But now we have gotten to the part of the conversation where you are no longer interesting...

So have a nice night sweety.

I think there should be different rules for the people who represent us, yes.

And as usual, take your ball and go home.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join