It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California sends bill requiring presidential candidates' tax returns to governor's desk

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Why are you worried only about presidential tax returns?

+2 more 
posted on May, 4 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I think it might be a good time to retaliate by needing to see Congressional Hush Fund records on all the candidates.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
People would just write in Donald Trump even if the state managed to pull off their idiotic maneuver. Dems are getting more and more desperate. BTW, DJT provided more than 100 pages of detailed financials and those are much more informative than a tax return. For the past 10 years, he has been under audit. That means Obama's IRS...snakes and slugs. We.Don't.Care.About.His.Tax.Returns.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think it might be a good time to retaliate by needing to see Congressional Hush Fund records on all the candidates.

Now that sounds like a relevant thing to know about. Much more important than a tax return or a birth certificat... but something tells me it will never happen.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
People would just write in Donald Trump even if the state managed to pull off their idiotic maneuver. Dems are getting more and more desperate. BTW, DJT provided more than 100 pages of detailed financials and those are much more informative than a tax return. For the past 10 years, he has been under audit. That means Obama's IRS...snakes and slugs. We.Don't.Care.About.His.Tax.Returns.

Would releasing his tax returns to the public while he is being audited constatut obstruction of justice?

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Why would anyone be for less transparency?

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I agree I don't know why anyone would be for less transparency.

But I totally understand why people might not be for political theater dressed up to fool people into thinking its about transparency while real transparency is ignored.

+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Nice spin.

How about this:

The conditions set in the constitution for the office of the president have remained unchanged. California or any other state cannot impose conditions further restricting who can run for and be elected president.

This type of hyperpartisan garbage is an attempt to disenfranchise millions of voters in order to make an absurd political point based on an even more absurd concept; that is the notion that anyone has the right to know the personal finances of a US citizen, to be investigated for a crime without evidence, or to have his personal information exposed to the public for any reason whatsoever.

edit on 4 5 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Why would anyone object to a political party using the power of their positions (and our tax dollars) to intrude into someone's personal life for their own political gain?

Really?

Let's see how you feel about it with the Obama sh##show coming up.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

By law:

White House officials and nominees for Senate-confirmed Cabinet positions in any administration must file disclosure reports listing their financial holdings, sources of income and debts so the Senate and the public can monitor for possible conflicts of interest.

Here is Trump's for 2018:
pfds.opensecrets.org...

This is waaaay more detailed than a tax return. If you want financial information on the man, this is the way to go. And it's all out there. A tax return will only give you a picture of taxable income.

What did we really learn from his 2005 filings?
www.cnbc.com...

This is pure politics. Today it is not releasing the tax returns. Tomorrow it will be whatever is on the tax returns. The day after that it will be something else. If California wants to do this, go ahead.

Maybe if the DNC REALLY wants to beat Trump, how about putting together a real live platform with details? Maybe even some worthy candidates? ...I guess in lieu of those things we will stick with procedural shenanigans.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

This applies to Democrats as well. So it isn't something selective that's only going to be an issue for Republicans.

It seems to me the only people angry about this would be the ones with a partisan bent that don't want to concede anything to the other side.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

This applies to Democrats as well. So it isn't something selective that's only going to be an issue for Republicans.

It seems to me the only people angry about this would be the ones with a partisan bent that don't want to concede anything to the other side.

Or people that understand the constitutional process involved and actually respect and honor that piece of paper. Unlike many that are trying to usurp it on a constant basis, this being the latest attempt, because they cannot accept they lost the 2016 election.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Federal elections, covered by federal law.

To be "legal" in my opinion, all federal offices should require the release of tax returns.

Then it isn't "discriminatory"

reply to: Mach2

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Things are not looking good for the presidents position of refusing to release his tax returns.

Is it certain that Trump is being primaried?

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Why would anyone object to a political party using the power of their positions (and our tax dollars) to intrude into someone's personal life for their own political gain?

Really?

Let's see how you feel about it with the Obama sh##show coming up.

I believe any person who wants to work in the government as a public servant (President, Congress etc) should have to show way more than just a tax return. If you aren't ready for your life to be an open book you shouldn't be representing us in any fashion.

If there's nothing to hide, what's to worry about? Public servants should have to be completely honest with the people they serve.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Nice spin.

How about this:

The conditions set in the constitution for the office of the president have remained unchanged. California or any other state cannot impose conditions further restricting who can run for and be elected president.

This type of hyperpartisan garbage is an attempt to disenfranchise millions of voters in order to make an absurd political point based on an even more absurd concept; that is the notion that anyone has the right to know the personal finances of a US citizen, to be investigated for a crime without evidence, or to have his personal information exposed to the public for any reason whatsoever.

So wanting more transparency from elected officials is an attempt to disenfranchise millions of voters?

Right back at you with the nice spin.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

underwerks it applies to Donald Trump; he's the target and the only reason they are wasting their time on the non issue. It's as silly as it would have been if Republican controlled state legislators passed bills requiring birth certificates from presidential candidates when the shoe was on the other foot.

I realize you dislike Donald Trump; there are a lot of good reasons to feel that way ... his tax return isn't one of them.

Added: His tax returns are a distraction. Democrats are using it to distract their base into forgetting that they have no coherent platform. Trump is using it to distract his political opostion. Transparency has nothing to do with this issue ... it's quite the opposite.

edit on 4-5-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

So wanting more transparency from elected officials is an attempt to disenfranchise millions of voters?

Refusing to put a candidate that meets all constitutional qualifications on the ballot is absolutely disenfranchising.

"Wanting more transparency" has nothing to do with it. Don't sidestep the constitution for vindictive political bull#.

Right back at you with the nice spin.

That isn't spin. That's a direct result of this unconstitutional action by the California legislature.
edit on 4 5 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I think information on Mr. Sanders state of health both physically and mentally would be extremely relevant to any voters's ability to make an informed decision on whether or not to vote for him for office. Biden isn't any spring chicken either, and neither is Ms. Warren.

Perhaps we should have their full medical records released before they can appear on the ballot.

And they should also receive a full medical workup from a non-partisan, independent medical agency that includes a full panel of medical tests and a full psych eval.
edit on 4-5-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

If we have to show ID to vote presidential candidates should have to show tax returns,

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

How are those two things even comparable or related?

You mad about showing ID?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join