It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now this is COOL!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
In the Aviation forum there is a thread about the Antonov 124 and a member who got a tour of it. The OP of that thread noted the AN-124 was being used to transport some parts to a large crane to be used at a cracking plant in Pennsylvania. I thought to myself, wow that must be a heck of a crane if they needed an AN-124 to move some of its parts. So I decided to go look up this particular crane. And yes, this is one HELLA BIG crane. In fact, it's the largest crane in the World!

Now, I don't know about you, but I like to see big things, and cranes are just plain cool anyway. So...take a look at this beast! I promise, I don't think this will be a waste of 2 minutes and 27 seconds of your life.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I wonder how much weight they have in the backend of that thing.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

WOW that is really cool! I wonder how many operators that crane needs? And also how much they make?

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

However much (35) shipping containers filled with sand weighs.

Here's an article about it...

Big Cranes

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I believe there is only one operator, but there is probably a crew of about 20-30 support personnel associated with the operation of it.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

That thing is neat, and it moves so quickly too in the video. They could build a city in like 5 days with that crane.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You know...Red Bull, it makes you a humming burd.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Imagine how time and money it takes just in the prep time? Looks like they have to clear and level an area to setup the crane and for the "skate" that is attached to the bottom of the column to allow it to pivot. I wonder if it would be cheaper overall to build the column in place? I guess the biggest factor would be the outside elements as they build it. Better to do it in a factory and then ship it.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

They actually do build most of something like this on-site, but they have to build it on the ground and then lift it. One of the biggest reasons for this is due to the QC/QA and testing required on all the welds.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Watching the video, after they stand up the tall thing, look around. That complex looks like a circuit board. Think about that.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
*man......, That sure is a fine lookin DRAG LINE......they got themselves there......huh.......hehe

Crane man joke......
edit on 4-5-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   
2,142,000 pounds from what I could find.

edit on 5-5-2019 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2019 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2019 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Impressive. So nice to see big cranes in action.

new topics

top topics

join