It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No!...No!.....NO!...No!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Capitalism man, get used to it.

It's not capitalism, it's predatory extortion. If they keep this crap up, the advertising industry will die and during its death throes they'll have more enemies than abortion clinics and just as rabid.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Advertising has long been a source of revenue for some, and I get this, but it's gotten to the point where advertising is now downright rude and intrusive. Advertisers will do anything to stop you, slow you down, trip you, trick you just to get you to look. There's even a word for it...they want to increase your "dwell time". And nothing is off limits, no tactic is out of bounds.

I was reading an article the other day about a technique known as 'dynamic range compression'. Many people know there are FCC laws which prevent advertisers from making advertisements louder than the programming you're watching, but yet why does it always seem like the ads are louder? Well, the answer is Dynamic Range Compression (DRC).

Dynamic Range Compression

What this does is compresses any sound louder than the sound they want you to listen to so all you can hear is exactly what they want you to. It makes the advertisements seem louder when their decibel level is still the same.

Most television commercials are heavily compressed (typically to a dynamic range of no more than 3 dB) to achieve near-maximum perceived loudness while staying within permissible limits. This causes a problem that TV viewers often notice: when a station switches from minimally compressed program material to a heavily compressed commercial, the volume sometimes seems to increase dramatically. Peak loudness might be the same—meeting the letter of the law—but high compression puts much more of the audio in the commercial at close to the maximum allowable, making the commercial seem much louder.
-from the wikipedia link above

Nothing is out of bounds. And it's time we as a society say "ENOUGH!! NO MORE!!

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
There used to be a common decency with advertisements, but not anymore!

Advertisements on...

-Park benches
-Sides of buses and trucks
-In your mailbox
-Attached to emails
-On your phone
-In the sky
-Floating on the water
-Even in space

Billboards in Space

What's next??? The insides of your eyelids???? How far is too far??? Will you have to submit to watching an advertisement to get water, or breathe air???

Don't think for even one second somebody won't try!! Not one second!

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Sometimes I don't know what ppl expect from free services. I mean someone has to pay ppl to work at youtube and maintenance the hardware and software. So its ads or a subscription. Most ads you can skip after 5 seconds.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thankfully, summer is coming. I will be spending most of my free time, outside, in the yard and garden.
If I start seeing ad's on the wildlife, I'll know the end is near. LOL

I'm pretty good at ignoring the ones out in public, when I have to shop. And my cell phone is so old, I don't have much on it, to worry about a lot of ads there.
I've even learned to ignore the ad on ATS

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MorpheusUSA

Those are going the way of the Dodo (i.e. ads you can skip).

ETA - And I don't care about free or discounted stuff. I'll pay for not having advertisements shoved down my throat at every turn.

edit on 5/4/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Everyone is so used to yelling no to Alexa and Google that they are starting to say no out of the blue in public. What the observer does not see is the ear bud in the ear of the No-er. I hear my daughter ask Google things sometime, and there is no little box around, but she always has something stuck in her ear. I guess people want others to believe they are smart, but The App makes them look nuts.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
So.... then my idea about selling ad space on those highway walls they build along urban neighborhoods to reduce noise likely will not sit well with you ....
Those big walls are so dull and boring. We should really liven them up with images of beer and pretty women. Perhaps a nice bikini clad lady drinking your favorite alcoholic beverage while leaning up on the hood of a current year muscle car

What can I say, Im not Bob, but I will sell you anything, and you'll buy it too!

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
You know, there are forms of advertising we don't even think of in our day to day world. ...

Take a computer purchase as an example; when was the last time you could find a computer without an OS on it? No major manufacturer will sell you a PC without an OS. This is a form of advertising. And there's more...

Most computer manufactures not only force you to buy an OS with their unit, but they also load the unit up with bloatware (more advertising). Things like antivirus software you don't want, tons of trial-ware and all manner of other junk. Can you get rid of it? Yes, but you better know what you're doing.

I recently bought a new laptop from Lenovo (a reasonably good company). I had to get an OS, but it was worse than this. The OS (Win 10) had been coded so that you couldn't get to MS antivirus. Now I'll bet that 95% of the people who buy new computers wouldn't know this, and would accidentally activate the pre-installed McCafee RAM-hog antivirus. You had to know to go out to McCafee's website and download the complete install remover to get rid of it. Otherwise it would just keep coming back. It is not possible to uninstall this program without the uninstall tool from McCafee. In other words, it's hostage-ware! It's predatory and it's wrong! And, it's advertising.

That's what advertising has become!
edit on 5/4/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I agree.

I hate ads and go to great lengths to remove them from my technology.

Netflix will be ad supported shortly.

That's cut

Any apps downloaded and the first thing I see is an ad, it's gone immediately.

I use ad blockers, VPN, and private browser tabs.

Those little pesky ad blocks never pop up. If they do in the off chance, it's a generic text because they don't have my shared information from whom ever are mining your personal info.

This is what happens when we let loose technology in the shadiest of people,

As long as it's "technically not illegal", anything goes.

I love how we hate china's internet governing style when our own is the worst example.

It isn’t all sunshine and roses in China.
Or maybe it is. Depends on your situation (or disposition?) I suppose.

Paul Hewson thinks the Chinese internet ‘model’ is great since it combats online piracy...

Here’s something else you can do, to supplement your social credit score.

Did you know the Chinese government pays persons $1500 to turn in a Christian?
(talk about attracting shade loving peeps)
Cuz, apparently it’s illegal. To be Christian (in the Chinese model)
And you get to do this in the privacy of your home, or car.

No thanks, in fact, I HATE IT.
I really do....but that’s just me.
What say you, odzeandenzz?

Do you believe this ‘trade-off’ would be a step toward, or away from ‘freedom’?

Thoughts?

# 1037
edit on 4-5-2019 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2019 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Its as old as Windows 98 I still remember the pesky bar with the red MSN logo and the hotmail stuff and what not. AOL times.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You want to know the irony with this thread....

This is my screen while reading your OP;

imgur.com...

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

www.christianheadlines.com...

3,000, 5,000 and 10,000 yuan ($450, $750 and $1,500 U.S.) to Chinese citizens who spot and turn in their neighbors to government officials, according to Asia News. The size of the prize will depend on the scale of the illegal activity. All churches in China are required to register with the government. Some churches, though, face severe restrictions in how they worship and practice their faith

1st issue I have with site - popups etc LOL LOL LOL

1 subscribe now
2 get my free prayer guide
3 video in a box - to the side tec.

Now about the Chinese - they are basically registering all churches. I guess much like the US does when Churches get their tax free status - the Government gets info on you.

Although in the US you don't get a reward for dobbing in your churches?

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   

What is interesting is that many people are influenced by this yet since forever I have never once decided upon something without first knowing I truly wanted it. Its known that many subconscious methods are used via out door adverts, our phones, cookies, website side ads, and more but all of this, I buy what I want and I ignore the rest. I guess some people just cannot hold back from these ads.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Well, I'm the same way, and I guess this is what makes the whole advertising fire hose tactics all the more frustrating...because they have exactly zero effect on me. If anything, I make a mental note NOT to buy a product because of irritating advertisements. Not the other way around.

And, the moment I see an advertisement I automatically think that product is going to be more expensive just because of the money spent on advertising, so I immediately look to a competing product if I happen to be in the market for a similar item. In any case, advertising never inspires me to buy a given product if I wasn't already going to anyway.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Lol, good one. yes ads are a menace

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   
You know what's funny. If you grew up in the 80s and go on YouTube and watch a collage of old commercials.

You get a good glimpse of why you decide to buy what you do, even today.

Those commercials may have shaped our buying practices as adults

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Capitalism man, get used to it.

I wouldnt get too use to it. It will be gone withing a this lifetime.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join