It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I called it. Now they are trying to Remove Washington.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CajunMetal

Denzel Washington, won't like this.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I heard you can fight fire with fire.

What offends you?

Just bitch loud enough

That only works for leftists.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: network dude

Do they realize that the school is named George Washington?

Maybe they should replace his mural with one of the people that sold their ancestors in the first place.

Who's they and can you show where or who sold 'they'

Some reason made you slice directly to AA and bypass natives whom feel offended

Is someone that is African/Native American actually offended? Or is this another instance of someone being offend on behalf of all peoples.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Wait, is it a mural of Washington whipping slaves while the rays of God pour out from his head? I'm assuming that's what it is otherwise, I'm more baffled than a submarine.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Yet more "historical revisionism" from the left... Soon enough the real history of the U.S. will be erased and democrats/the left will be branded "as the people who liberated blacks, women, etc...

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Maybe not traumatized...

But they should be, dammit!!!

How dare they not be, George was evil. I mean, orange man bad, therefore all Presidents are. Is that Progressive think??

Good point.

We'll have to erect pepe the frog murals and monuments so we know to thought police those who giggle.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I’m not sure how best to answer this.
I can only think of a blunt, and to the point, but also hypothetical perspective to consider.

Let’s say there was a mural to Adolf Hitler in Germany. And Jewish Germans wanted it taken down, why would anyone ever take issue with that? Who would genuinely invoke history as a reason to brush aside the requests and concerns of Jewish people asking for such? Why would they?

Now apply that to this.

We can also try to make it a more personal thing to us all to understand the perspective.

If large numbers of my own people were massacred, raped, tortured and enslaved by someone, anyone, I would never ever want to see a mural of them. I’d find it utterly distasteful and downright asinine to ever have to encounter anything like that on a daily basis, and then be questioned as to why I don’t like it.

How would anyone else here feel, in a more personal example? Something that would relate to them. How would people feel being told to move on and accept “history” in a way that is shoved in their faces? None of us would like that. None of us would ever accept it.

Why didn’t Americans want a Mosque built near ground zero?
Now imagine it wasn’t a mosque, but instead a mural of Osama Bin Laden.

I mean, either you get it. Or you don’t.
But I’m 99% certain most people do get it and just want a reason to not accept the truth.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

What I find very ironic, is that the same people who rail against slavery, love to buy and use products that are made by what is for all intents and purposes, slave labor, like high end athletic shoes or smartphones. Yeah lets erase George Washington from history, but just keep buying products produced by slaves NOW.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Cally is Irrelevant to Most of the OTHER 49 STATES . Who Gives a Fook about that ? .......Hmm........
edit on 3-5-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   

It traumatizes students? Seriously? If you are traumatized by a mural of George Washington then I suggest never visiting the Denver airport. Those murals may drive you completely mad.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

You’re not serious with this question are you? The reason we are all concerned about this is not because of the mural. This incident is a microcosm if today’s PC culture run amok. First a mural of GW....then, what’s next?

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If the OP was going to be honest, he'd have posted the image in question that raised heckles.

]i]Edit: here's a bigger, clearer image of the panel. Stepping over the dead, not on, but the point remains it's a pretty tasteless depiction for a school.

Depictions of people literally walking on the dead is something worthy of being in a school?? Since TF when?
edit on 5/3/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/3/2019 by Nyiah because: pic too big. fixed, i think

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe
a reply to: dawnstar

You’re not serious with this question are you? The reason we are all concerned about this is not because of the mural. This incident is a microcosm if today’s PC culture run amok. First a mural of GW....then, what’s next?

Ex President Obama Coming Out of the Closet ?

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Artemis12

He’s a grown man insulting another person they don’t know on the internet about their supposed weight. Anonymous fat jokes are soooooo 1998.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I think your response was valid and had eloquence.

But the Nazi Germany reference is a bit harsh. Germany is "forgiven" for what they've done. We're short handing this, I realize it's far more complex.

We can acknowledge our roots without glorifying. We may have some monuments and statues, but is that wrong from the time frame they lived in? If that was common practice, do we have to try and make historical events suitable for our current morality?

In fact, I think keeping history unadulterated is self serving to our current state of mind. We're trying to learn after all.

Look at any ideology, and they're willing to say they've evolved.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'd like them to replace all the statues with ones of you, there'd be no way to tear them down due to the immense size if they were to scale.

I'd like to keep the one of you around in creamed Plutonium, Augie...
just to teach the little buggers about the downside of revisionism.

In other news, early spring blizzards are making a mockery of the
more mature and equally flawed scientists and their double global
warmers I warned you not to wear that thermal tunic in May but NO

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

They are totally 1998, maybe even 1991.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23
Probably not, but I gotta admit that sounds pretty dope.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
They are acting like the victors - removing history so they can repeat it.

I usually don't post toward the author of a post that brief unless it were
so sadly true. May the stars almost blind you for it. I WILL ARCHIVE THIS

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
After looking at what I could of the 13 panels of this mural, it wasn't historically accurate and should be taken down on that basis alone.

From Indian Country Today - Digital Indigenous News

George Washington Letter Describes Killing of Natives as ‘Villainy’

A letter from George Washington recently acquired by the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History at The University of Texas at Austin describes the killing of three Mingo Indians by white settlers as “villainy” and “mischief.” The letter “sheds light on Washington’s views on Indian relations” said Don Carleton, the Briscoe Center’s executive director. The letter, which was written to John Armstrong on August 24, 1769 before the Revolutionary War, describes the killing of the three Indians on the south bank of the Potomac River as murder, “for it deserves no other name.” Washington also demands “justice” in the letter. “Washington’s indignation over the unprovoked killing of the Indians is clearly genuine,” notes Carleton in a university release. “He also evidences concern over ‘the evils that otherwise must follow’ if similar incidents were to go unchecked.

LINK

From Mount Vernon

10 Facts About Washington & Slavery

Despite having been an active slave holder for 56 years, George Washington struggled with the institution of slavery and spoke frequently of his desire to end the practice. At the end of his life Washington made the bold step to free all his slaves in his 1799 will - the only slave-holding Founding Father to do so.

LINK

From Wikipedia

George Washington and slavery

After the war, Washington often privately expressed a dislike of the institution of slavery. In 1786, he wrote to a friend that "I never mean ... to possess another slave by purchase; it being among my first wishes to see some plan adopted, by which slavery in this Country may be abolished by slow, sure and imperceptible degrees." To another friend he wrote that "there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see some plan adopted for the abolition" of slavery.

LINK
edit on 3-5-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Fixed links

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join